Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Qualcast electric hedge trimmer clutch

I asked some while ago if these things might include a clutch to
prevent overload, because the drive was frequently slipping and
received no answer. It is the 600w model, with a blade able to be
rotated from H to V cut.

I have been inside and no, there is no clutch at all. The slippage was
due to a worn drive system.. The end of the motor shaft has a pinion,
which drives crown wheel, which was partially supported on one side by
a casting. The quite soft metal crown wheel had worn in one spot, which
was where it was causing slipping. The crown wheel was on a spindle,
with a small roller bearing top and bottom, bottom in rigid casting,
top bearing supported by the plastic housing. Absolutely no adjustment
anywhere at all and a very poor design.

I fitted a small washer under the bottom bearing, to push the crown
wheel a tad further out of the casting, making the crown wheel a
tighter fit against the motor pinion. It will not likely last long.

I have had it around three years, during which time have have probably
cut our bit of hedge around nine times in total, so rather disappointed
that it survived such a short time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/18 10:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Ihave found that sort of behaviors in many later electric triummers.
They are built to a price and a quality that just takes them through
warranty.

A cast mezak crown wheel is pence. To machine a decent one out of hard
steel is pounds.

Go figure.

I inherited a B & D electric drill from my father - he got it around
1960. It lasted until 1995

I have had three sinec then, all scrapped.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher used his keyboard to write :
I inherited a B & D electric drill from my father - he got it around 1960. It
lasted until 1995

Me too, it was still in GWO when I took it to the dump.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, Funny that somebody told me that the same company, probably badge
engineers a petrol Strimmer but that has drive and feed problems where it
gets stuck with no drive due to plastic engineering. Maybe they need a
better buyer or designer over there. Do Qualcast still really exist, or are
they just a badge used by somebody for el cheapo imported crap?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I still have my old 1970s b/d mains drill as good as the day it was made.
Over engineered but then if everyone made things this way they would never
get another sale would they? grin.
Brian

--
----- --
[...]

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually
come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the
State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military
consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State
to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal
enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy
of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff pretended :
Hmm, Funny that somebody told me that the same company, probably badge
engineers a petrol Strimmer but that has drive and feed problems where it
gets stuck with no drive due to plastic engineering. Maybe they need a better
buyer or designer over there. Do Qualcast still really exist, or are they
just a badge used by somebody for el cheapo imported crap?

They are just badge engineered, cheap imports.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff formulated the question :
Such a shame as they used to make great lawn mowers at one time.

That is what the purchasers of the brand name rely upon..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Over engineered but then if everyone made things this way they would never
get another sale would they?

Unless they made a range of products, or thought people would give
recommendations ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Over engineered but then if everyone made things this way they would
never
get another sale would they?

Unless they made a range of products,

Unlikely that many would buy too many and the same
consideration would apply with those, and their kids
would get the long lived product when they die too.

or thought people would give
recommendations ...

It has always been one real problem that prevents the best
designs from being what is sold, particularly when the stuff
that lasts forever will be more expensive to make.

The other weird thing is that cars now last much longer,
but you dont see too many keep them much longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Jack James wrote :
The other weird thing is that cars now last much longer,
but you dont see too many keep them much longer.

I wonder why that is?

They are relatively much cheaper to buy, people have more more and less
inclination to get involved, less of the needed skills for repairing
them themselves. Labour costs and parts to repair them are relatively
so much more expensive. Then the MOT filters many out now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Jack James wrote

The other weird thing is that cars now last much longer,
but you dont see too many keep them much longer.

I wonder why that is?

They are relatively much cheaper to buy, people have more more and less
inclination to get involved, less of the needed skills for repairing them
themselves. Labour costs and parts to repair them are relatively so much
more expensive. Then the MOT filters many out now.

I dont believe that any of those are the reason
most people get a brand new car now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote on 12/07/2018 :
I dont believe that any of those are the reason
most people get a brand new car now.

Well, go on, explain what you think the reasons are..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I dont believe that any of those are the reason
most people get a brand new car now.

Well, go on, explain what you think the reasons are..

Basically they can afford to do it now with cars relatively so cheap now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed brought next idea :
Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I dont believe that any of those are the reason
most people get a brand new car now.

Well, go on, explain what you think the reasons are..

Basically they can afford to do it now with cars relatively so cheap now.

Er, was that not well covered when I wrote - 'They are relatively much
cheaper to buy,....' ???