Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric hedge trimmer

Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just
cheap crap? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/217663

We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional
conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't get a lot of use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just
cheap crap? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/217663

We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional
conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't get a lot of use.

Hedge trimmers, however good, are only designed to work with thin
branches, think a years growth. Anything thicker needs a light chainsaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Moonraker wrote:
On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just
cheap crap? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/217663

We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional
conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't get a lot of use.

Hedge trimmers, however good, are only designed to work with thin
branches, think a years growth. Anything thicker needs a light chainsaw.

simply not true. It depends entirely in the power of the trimmer.

Many motorised ones are capable of up to an inch riameter hand held, and
tractor mounted ones go even higher

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:17:37 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just
cheap crap? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/217663

We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional
conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't get a lot of use.

Hedge trimmers, however good, are only designed to work with thin
branches, think a years growth. Anything thicker needs a light chainsaw.

I couldn't get the Wickes one but instead bought a Bosch AHS 45-16. It
does struggle with the thicker stems (10mm) but seems OK otherwise.
I've got some reasonable loppers to cope with the thicker stuff.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just
cheap crap? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/217663

We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional
conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't get a lot of use.

Hedge trimmers, however good, are only designed to work with thin
branches, think a years growth. Anything thicker needs a light chainsaw.

I couldn't get the Wickes one but instead bought a Bosch AHS 45-16. It

You are much better off with the Bosch. I have one and it will easily
cut branches to 8-10mm provided you don't try to take too much on at a
time. The shed own brand ones burn out and jam pretty easily by
comparison. The Bosch ones will last (or at least mine has done).

does struggle with the thicker stems (10mm) but seems OK otherwise.
I've got some reasonable loppers to cope with the thicker stuff.

Not worth struggling on very thick stems you will shorten its life if
you force it to cut too heavy wood. Trimmer to take the bulk of new
growth off and loppers to tidy up thin back heavy branches.

If you don't do a bit of lopping eventually you end up with incredibly
thick pollarded stumps on the end of every branch after a few years.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
[...]

+1

The design of my old B&D hedge trimmer simply doesn't allow the cutting
of anything thicker than 2 mm or so. Thicker branches just bounce about
and don't actually get cut

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:18, Mark wrote:
[...]

I bought a Bosch on offer from Axminstre. It's a bit bigger than yours
(OP's) at about 23mm gap. It's twice clashed with chain-link fencing (hidden
in hedge), cutting a total of 4 pieces of the wire. No mark on the blade at
all!
For thicker stuff I find that it will 'nibble' its way through, up to about
15mm.
Also got a 3-year warranty with it (although it's green (the trimmer, not
the warranty!)).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Junior Member

Hi dear am newbie hare and i read your topic its really nice and most informative i appreciate it and electric trimmer is a one of the most useful and beneficial product most of the people need it and i also need a good trimmer if anyone know about good electric trimmer seller then post here back i will wait for your reply's.....

fence supplies

Last edited by Clark01 : August 11th 12 at 07:54 AM

Hedge Trimmer F[_2_] UK diy 4 August 9th 09 09:37 PM
Help with Electric Hedge Trimmer Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 6 March 5th 07 04:31 PM
Electric hedge trimmer advice [email protected] Home Repair 11 June 14th 06 07:39 PM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM