Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Qualcast electric hedge trimmer clutch

Hmm, Funny that somebody told me that the same company, probably badge
engineers a petrol Strimmer but that has drive and feed problems where it
gets stuck with no drive due to plastic engineering. Maybe they need a
better buyer or designer over there. Do Qualcast still really exist, or are
they just a badge used by somebody for el cheapo imported crap?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
I asked some while ago if these things might include a clutch to prevent
overload, because the drive was frequently slipping and received no answer.
It is the 600w model, with a blade able to be rotated from H to V cut.

I have been inside and no, there is no clutch at all. The slippage was due
to a worn drive system.. The end of the motor shaft has a pinion, which
drives crown wheel, which was partially supported on one side by a
casting. The quite soft metal crown wheel had worn in one spot, which was
where it was causing slipping. The crown wheel was on a spindle, with a
small roller bearing top and bottom, bottom in rigid casting, top bearing
supported by the plastic housing. Absolutely no adjustment anywhere at all
and a very poor design.

I fitted a small washer under the bottom bearing, to push the crown wheel
a tad further out of the casting, making the crown wheel a tighter fit
against the motor pinion. It will not likely last long.

I have had it around three years, during which time have have probably cut
our bit of hedge around nine times in total, so rather disappointed that
it survived such a short time.