Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mini wheels

I'm still pulling this boat on a trailer out of our hedge. It is now
about 3 feet further forward. The eventual aim is to try to give it
away.

Today I decided that the visible wheel had to come off to sort the flat
tyre. The wheel came off OK and, although the outside of the wheel
looked OK, the inside had rusted through, collapsed and cut into the
tyre and inner tube.
Off to the breakers who identified it as a Mini wheel, said they are
like gold dust and sold me one. Everything looked right.

It won't go on. There is a grease nipple sticking out from the hub and
the old wheel has a looks original notch to accommodate this. If I can
find the right size spanner, I suppose I can remove the nipple
temporarily.

At last the question. Did Minis have grease nipples on any wheels, or am
I looking for some weird type of wheel or, more likely, a bodge?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
At last the question. Did Minis have grease nipples on any wheels, or
am I looking for some weird type of wheel or, more likely, a bodge?

To follow up my own question, I should, of course have said Classic Mini
and 10" wheels.

I've had a trawl through the pics on ebay and it appears Mini wheels
have a round centre hole, trailer wheels of the same size have this
little notch to allow for the grease nipple. At least one of the ebay
trailer wheels looks as though someone has filed the notch badly,
manually. I plan to try to get the grease nipple out tomorrow, check the
wheel fits snugly over the hub and then decide to file or not to file.

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be interested.

I can't do much or look at the actual job as I'm having to wait in for a
call about returning someone from an mri scan.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 18:53, Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
At last the question. Did Minis have grease nipples on any wheels, or
am I looking for some weird type of wheel or, more likely, a bodge?

To follow up my own question, I should, of course have said Classic Mini
and 10" wheels.

I've had a trawl through the pics on ebay and it appears Mini wheels
have a round centre hole, trailer wheels of the same size have this
little notch to allow for the grease nipple. At least one of the ebay
trailer wheels looks as though someone has filed the notch badly,
manually. I plan to try to get the grease nipple out tomorrow, check the
wheel fits snugly over the hub and then decide to file or not to file.

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be interested.

I can't do much or look at the actual job as I'm having to wait in for a
call about returning someone from an mri scan.

Mini's did not have a grease nipple on the wheel hubs. The wheel you
need is a special for trailers.

Removing the grease nipple is probably your best option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wrote in message:
[...]

I have a trailer with 10" wheels. They all have the cut out for
the grease nipple. Minis had the same size wheels, possibly same
PCD, but didn't have grease nipples in the hubs, and hence no
cut-outs in the wheels. 10" trailer wheels are easy enough to
find.

--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2018 19:35, Biggles wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:
[...]

Can't see any real down-side to filing a suitable nipple groove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wrote in message:
[...]

Â* the grease nipple. Minis had the same size wheels, possibly same
Â* PCD, but didn't have grease nipples in the hubs, and hence no
Â* cut-outs in the wheels. 10" trailer wheels are easy enough to
Â* find.

Can't see any real down-side to filing a suitable nipple groove.

That's what I did. Nicely rounded so that there are no stress
concentrations.

Alternatively: https://www.towsure.com/trailer-whee...145-x-10-4-pcd

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 July 2018 18:53:14 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
At last the question. Did Minis have grease nipples on any wheels, or
am I looking for some weird type of wheel or, more likely, a bodge?

To follow up my own question, I should, of course have said Classic Mini
and 10" wheels.

I've had a trawl through the pics on ebay and it appears Mini wheels
have a round centre hole, trailer wheels of the same size have this
little notch to allow for the grease nipple. At least one of the ebay
trailer wheels looks as though someone has filed the notch badly,
manually. I plan to try to get the grease nipple out tomorrow, check the
wheel fits snugly over the hub and then decide to file or not to file.

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be interested.

I can't do much or look at the actual job as I'm having to wait in for a
call about returning someone from an mri scan.

an angle grinder will have that done in no time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 19:35:23 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Biggles
wrote:

snip

I have a trailer with 10" wheels.

So do I (although most are 400 x 8).

They all have the cut out for
the grease nipple.

As do mine.

Minis had the same size wheels, possibly same
PCD,

I believe they are 4" PCD, also common on 400 x 8 trailer wheels.

but didn't have grease nipples in the hubs, and hence no
cut-outs in the wheels.

Yup.

10" trailer wheels are easy enough to
find.

But not generally 'cheap', if you are giving the trailer away?

You can probably get a new pair of wheels and tyres for ~£100 and
second hand for less, *if* you can find some worth having but that's a
lot if the rest of the trailer is in anything than a reasonable
condition.

If it's galvanised it could well be and if it was a factory made
trailer, even more so but otherwise, it might be just a few quids
worth of scrap or some parts for someone to play with (hubs,
suspension units, tow hitch, rollers / chocks etc).

*IF* it's galvanised or if not and in really good condition
throughout, with mudguards, checked / new bearings, new / good wheels
and tyres and a good hitch then it could be worth a few quid (boat
trailers are for some reason) or be a nice thing to give to a good
cause (Scout / other charity group etc).

The strange thing though is that you can often get a trailer with a
free boat for the same price as the trailer on it's own, it's just you
then have to get rid of the boat without a trailer.

I managed to give the one on the trailer I wanted to the local sailing
club and they were very pleased with it (it only needed minor
attention).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
[...]

Well, the grease nipple is out, the wheel is on, the boat and trailer is
almost fully out of the hedge. The cheap ratchet puller and a cheap
ratchet strap have been invaluable, but I'd advise anyone to spend a bit
more on a bit more quality.

The boat will be an interesting challenge for anyone, but the mast,
sails, rudder, tiller, paddles etc. are OK.

The trailer is just 2 galvanised scaffolding poles welded to make a
triangle with a non-galvanised cross beam. Now I have 2 round wheels,
the suspension units seem OK. The piggy-back launching trolley is
similarly a cross-beam with wheels, with a length of conduit in a
U-shape to form the bit you pull or push into the water. All gloriously
simple and cheap.

When I was young, I would have taken this on.

It remains to be seen whether Freecycle, Freegle or the local sailing
club have anyone brave enough, as I think we are in a smokeless zone.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:09:42 +0100, Bill wrote:

snip

Well, the grease nipple is out, the wheel is on, the boat and trailer is
almost fully out of the hedge. The cheap ratchet puller and a cheap
ratchet strap have been invaluable, but I'd advise anyone to spend a bit
more on a bit more quality.

I'm not sure that would go quite as far as my little Tirfor 'Jockey'
(wire rope puller) that I think has a 300kg 'pull' and that seems to
be quite a bit, when you start cranking.

https://www.hoistandwinch.co.uk/trac...or-jockey.html

The boat will be an interesting challenge for anyone, but the mast,
sails, rudder, tiller, paddles etc. are OK.

Well that's a little incentive for someone. ;-)

The trailer is just 2 galvanised scaffolding poles welded to make a
triangle with a non-galvanised cross beam. Now I have 2 round wheels,

;-)

the suspension units seem OK. The piggy-back launching trolley is
similarly a cross-beam with wheels, with a length of conduit in a
U-shape to form the bit you pull or push into the water. All gloriously
simple and cheap.

KISS generally works well for such things.

When I was young, I would have taken this on.

It remains to be seen whether Freecycle, Freegle or the local sailing
club have anyone brave enough, as I think we are in a smokeless zone.

I do hope you find someone and that they do carry it through. If they
can there is a lot of satisfaction to be using something you rescued
from the brink. ;-)

I nearly did that tonight re Mums old Creda spin dryer ... until I
noticed how rusty the inner casing was [1]. ;-(

Now I have a very clean 1962 1/10hp electric motor to play with. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Water must have been laying in there for years as the pump
couldn't actually pump it dry. What was very obvious when I stripped
it down was just how nicely things were made in those days. Everything
could be stripped down and most of the fasteners just undid with my
Leatherman.

Same with her old Hoover Ariston 1000 washing machine main drum
bearings which were still perfect and I know they had never been
changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wrote in message:
In message , T i m
writes
[...]

Remember remember the 5th of november....
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/07/2018 10:54, Jim K wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:
In message , T i m
writes
[...]

Only applies to smoke from chimneys AFAIK.

--
Adam