Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Proxxon/Merlin e-motor mini-grinder vs mini air die grin

Harry Mangalam wrote in message
Thanks for the info - are you cutting the wood green or cured? - I

do most
of my rough carving on green wood.

A. Carve cured wood

Also, what's the noise level like? Comparable to to an angle

grinder
(hounds of hell wail) or more like a dremel/foredom (annoying

whine)?

A. Noise level is not bad about same as drill or router.

Best,
Harry

dteckie wrote:
I just purchased the Proxxon carver a couple of weeks ago. It's

light,
minimal vibration and seems to be built solid. I have used it only
once to get the feel of it and was somewhat dissapointed. I have

found
the unit to be a bit on the weakside when carving wood. The chain
cutter/carver is not cutting into hardwood as I expected, maybe
carving basswood will be better but haven't tried it. I was planning
on using this unit mainly for roughing out but was dissapointed with
oak and butternut. I amInterested on other feedback from those who

are
using it.