Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Delivery reports on text messages

Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 14:10:53 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

For a text (SMS) message "delivered" shows that receipt of the
message has been acknowledged by the network and the phone concerned.
It cannot show that the message has been opened by the owner of the
phone.

Lack of a delivered flag does not mean the message has not been
delivered, some networks/handsets default to "do not acknowledge
receipt" and users often don't alter that (some can't). In this case
you should see a "sent" response but nothing else.

If you/they use a more complex messaging services such as IMessage
rather than SMS then depending how it has been set up it "delivered"
may be no guarantee that the message has been received on a specific
device, it could have been delivered to other devices on the same
account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 14:10, ARW wrote:
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Use whatsapp you know if the message has been delivered and if it has
been opened in the app.

Text messages are very iffy, I have been sent text messages that didn't
turn up until two days after they were sent.

I don't think there is anything that says a text message has been read
even if they know it has arrived on the phone.

You would be on dodgy ground if he said his mom had read it and not told
him about it. I doubt it would stand up in court as a reason to sack
him. Just find some dangerous wiring and sack him for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 14:10:53 +0100, ARW wrote:

Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

Your apprentices obviously don't respect you. Do you not beat them
regularly? You know what the Victorians used to say: "spare the rod;
spoil the child."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

I think it was in the early days of Apple that their message added " This
does signify that the recipient has either read or understood the message."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/18 14:10, ARW wrote:
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Which network?
You could try this:
*0# (Star zero hash - i.e. the bottom three characters on your keypad)

From:
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Ti...been/td-p/1281

Works on my BT mobile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 16:43, Huge wrote:

snip

Not reliable enough to provide a basis for firing someone.

+1 (with a heavy heart)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/07/2018 15:53, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/07/2018 14:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Multiple text messages from several different people all asking for a
delivery report that say it was delivered.

Texts started on Friday at 6pm and you think his Mum read them all and
deleted them all and said nothing to him?

Or to put it in normal Yorkshire terms "find me an 18 year old that
would let their Mother touch their mobile phone"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/07/2018 17:01, Robin wrote:
On 08/07/2018 16:43, Huge wrote:

snip

Not reliable enough to provide a basis for firing someone.

+1 (with a heavy heart)

Plenty of other ways to skin a cat.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 14:10, ARW wrote:
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

If it's a work phone then you may have grounds if his work contract says
he must keep the phone on.

If he's using his own, then he is free to turn it off. Or even leave it
somewhere he doesn't have access to.

If he turns up at the office at 7:15am I don't see how he can be sacked.

I would find a good reason to sack him rather than one like this.

Perhaps use another phone to send him a suggestive text as if its coming
from a girl. See if he replies! Then phone him with that phone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/07/2018 15:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 14:10:53 +0100, ARW wrote:

Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

Your apprentices obviously don't respect you. Do you not beat them
regularly? You know what the Victorians used to say: "spare the rod;
spoil the child."

Cheers for that advice. Another trip to the police station for allegedly
assaulting one - or one of their parents - is not in my plans.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen
by the phone or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the
morning if he does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his
phone then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the
office at 7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

No way of knowing if he actually read the text even if it was delivered
to his phone or if the phone is working so he can view it either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/07/2018 20:05, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the
phone or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if
he does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the
delivery reports to my text messages show that he has the message on
his phone then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the
office at 7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

No way of knowing if he actually read the text even if it was delivered
to his phone or if the phone is working so he can view it either.

A text message to his phone at 7.45 whilst he is stood in front of the
contracts manager will sort that one out if he is not with me in Durham.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking ARW wrote :
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone or
just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he does
not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone then he
will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at 7.45am and
pretends that he has had no text messages.

Delivery reports actually mean nothing sensible and certainly are not
reliable enough to sack someone. It could mean that the message has
been delivered into the recipients network, not necessarily that it's
been delivered to the recipients phone.

This is because the SMS system is a "best effort" system, with no
industry standard protocol to implement if something goes wrong.

If you send an email and it doesn't get to the recipient, the mail
servers and their systems have protocols to follow and you usually get
a message from the mail servers to say why it hasn't been delivered and
what, if anything, you can do about it.

SMS has no such protocols in place, so any delivery report (or lack of)
should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 05:05:59 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

No way of knowing if he actually read the text even if it was delivered
to his phone or if the phone is working so he can view it either.

Everyone was waiting for your input, Rot, you self-opinionated asshole! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Won't work it that lazy little ****er isnt running it.

Text messages are very iffy, I have been sent text messages that didn't
turn up until two days after they were sent.

I don't think there is anything that says a text message has been read
even if they know it has arrived on the phone.

You would be on dodgy ground if he said his mom had read it and not told
him about it. I doubt it would stand up in court as a reason to sack him.
Just find some dangerous wiring and sack him for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2018 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 08/07/2018 19:37, Fredxx wrote:

If he's using his own, then he is free to turn it off. Or even leave
it somewhere he doesn't have access to.

If he turns up at the office at 7:15am I don't see how he can be sacked.

I would find a good reason to sack him rather than one like this.

Perhaps use another phone to send him a suggestive text as if its
coming from a girl. See if he replies! Then phone him with that phone!

Babooska.

Only if he's a gerontophile.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 July 2018 14:10:56 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

If you want him to turn up phone his landline at 5 am so mum can wake him.

But I'm not sure you're being entirely reasonable on this one.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 08/07/2018 20:05, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

No way of knowing if he actually read the text even if it was delivered
to his phone or if the phone is working so he can view it either.

A text message to his phone at 7.45 whilst he is stood in front of the
contracts manager will sort that one out if he is not with me in Durham.

Not with the first one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message news
[...]

Or even how soon it retrys when the phone is off when it first attempts
to send the text to that phone. If its off for a while, some networks don't
try again for a considerable time after the failure.

If you send an email and it doesn't get to the recipient, the mail servers
and their systems have protocols to follow and you usually get a message
from the mail servers to say why it hasn't been delivered and what, if
anything, you can do about it.

SMS has no such protocols in place, so any delivery report (or lack of)
should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
ARW wrote

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the
morning if he does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

If you want him to turn up phone his
landline at 5 am so mum can wake him.

Plenty dont have a landline anymore and plenty who have
to for their broadband, dont bother to plug a phone in either.

But I'm not sure you're being entirely reasonable on this one.

Corse he is when the lazy little ****er is refusing to answer his phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 20:22:21 +0100, ARW
wrote:

A text message to his phone at 7.45 whilst he is stood in front of the
contracts manager will sort that one out if he is not with me in Durham.

I assume he has been employed for less than 2 years in which case the
simplest and least risky approach is simply to tell him it’is not
working and you’re not going to continue their employment. No reason
is needed (and discussion about the matter should be avoided).

They should be paid for any contractual notice period.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 06:01:16 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at 7.45am
and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Use whatsapp you know if the message has been delivered and if it has been
opened in the app.

Won't work it that lazy little ****er isnt running it.

It would work if he were running it, though, you blathering idiot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A text message to his phone at 7.45 whilst he is stood in front of the
contracts manager will sort that one out if he is not with me in Durham.

I assume he has been employed for less than 2 years in which case the
simplest and least risky approach is simply to tell him itis not
working and youre not going to continue their employment. No reason
is needed (and discussion about the matter should be avoided).

They should be paid for any contractual notice period.

I might give the opportunity for the apprentice to pull his socks up first!

If words have already said to him then I see no reason why he shouldn't
be asked to leave, or sacked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW posted
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Three cheers for Mister 'Ardacre!

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Handsome Jack
scribeth thus
ARW posted
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Three cheers for Mister 'Ardacre!

How do you get these young ones up at that hour anyway;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sent a relatively important SMS to my SIL (so she had the address etc in
writing). When she didn't reply, phoned her up on the same phone. And
she'd not got it - despite mine saying it had. Didn't get it until the
next day - despite powering the phone on and off to see if that would kick
things into life.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/2018 18:01, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
scribeth thus
ARW posted
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Three cheers for Mister 'Ardacre!

How do you get these young ones up at that hour anyway;?...

He texted back at 5.35am to say he was ill.

So I had a really nice week at work without him stood there with his
hands in his pockets.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
On 12/07/2018 18:01, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
scribeth thus
ARW posted
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Three cheers for Mister 'Ardacre!

How do you get these young ones up at that hour anyway;?...

He texted back at 5.35am to say he was ill.

Pity you couldn't make it mandatory that in order to get his pay packet
he had to be at work when the pay office was open, betwixt say 05:00 to
05:30 hrs

So I had a really nice week at work without him stood there with his
hands in his pockets.

And probably got as much if not more dome without all the moaning
distractions and having to supervise what his hands were doing in said
pockets;!

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 00:39:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
So I had a really nice week at work without him stood there with his
hands in his pockets.

Can't you make him sew the pockets shut so he can't play with himself all day?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Handsome Jack
scribeth thus
ARW posted
Does a delivery report show that the message has been seen by the phone
or just seen by the phones network provider?

It's just that I have a lazy little ****er to sack in the morning if he
does not turn up at my house for 6.15.

He is not answering his phone or replying to texts. Now if the delivery
reports to my text messages show that he has the message on his phone
then he will be sacked on the spot if he turns up at the office at
7.45am and pretends that he has had no text messages.

Three cheers for Mister 'Ardacre!

How do you get these young ones up at that hour anyway;?...

Get them a job in TV or film, etc. ;-)

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get them a job in TV or film, etc. ;-)

Yep. "Love Island will be auditioning next week at Home Farm where
candidates will pick strawberries on Monday before moving on Tuesday to
the pig unit at...."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 July 2018 11:47:04 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
Get them a job in TV or film, etc. ;-)

Yep. "Love Island will be auditioning next week at Home Farm where
candidates will pick strawberries on Monday before moving on Tuesday to
the pig unit at...."

It's been done. Google: fferm ffactor

Owain