Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prepare floor for vinyl tiles

I am going to have to lay about 4 sq metres of Amtico tiles.
They are much thinner than those I laid 40 years ago, so the floor has to be
very even.

What I have looks as though it is a layer of ply or hardboard rough side up.
It is pretty even but I need to ensure it is as good as I can get it.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pourable materialthat will self-level?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/18 11:07, Pinnerite wrote:
I am going to have to lay about 4 sq metres of Amtico tiles.
They are much thinner than those I laid 40 years ago, so the floor has to be
very even.

What I have looks as though it is a layer of ply or hardboard rough side up.
It is pretty even but I need to ensure it is as good as I can get it.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pourable materialthat will self-level?

F Ball Stopgap 300

Watch the videos on Youtube, use a spiked roller to move it around, dam
the doorways (it will leak through the tiniest of gaps) and follow the
manufacturer's instructs exactly - especially about priming the floor first.

However, as good as it is, I've observed it works best for a 5mm deep
pour - you should get it to millpond flatness. 3mm is just about
do-able. Much less and it won't self level that well. And this is the
best product I know of (and have used).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 12:42:20 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I'd say get decent ply of a good thickness. That should be as level as it can be
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 July 2018 13:20:41 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

how would you treat the edge gaps?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2018 11:07, Pinnerite wrote:
I am going to have to lay about 4 sq metres of Amtico tiles.
They are much thinner than those I laid 40 years ago, so the floor has to be
very even.

What I have looks as though it is a layer of ply or hardboard rough side up.
It is pretty even but I need to ensure it is as good as I can get it.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pourable materialthat will self-level?

I recently did a couple of Karndean vinyl plank floors... the usual
recomendation is to give them a final coat of latex self levelling
compound (I have used the Wickes one in the past, and its not too bad if
you get it down fast - probably not as effective as Tim's F&B - although
probably a fraction of the price!).

However on mine I just used 5.5mm WBP ply screwed down really well (6"
grid), and then gave it a coat of feathering compound. That seemed to
work fine as a base for the tiles. (although note mine do not have a
high shine and so do not reveal every imperfection in the level)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/18 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2018 11:07, Pinnerite wrote:
I am going to have to lay about 4 sq metres of Amtico tiles.
They are much thinner than those I laid 40 years ago, so the floor has
to be
very even.

What I have looks as though it is a layer of ply or hardboard rough
side up.
It is pretty even but I need to ensure it is as good as I can get it.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pourable materialthat will self-level?

I recently did a couple of Karndean vinyl plank floors... the usual
recomendation is to give them a final coat ofÂ* latex self levelling
compound (I have used the Wickes one in the past, and its not too bad if
you get it down fast - probably not as effective as Tim's F&B - although
probably a fraction of the price!).

Stopgap 300 was about £19 / 20kg bag 5 years ago - not too bad
considering some of the sheds were charging similar for less good stuff

However on mine I just used 5.5mm WBP ply screwed down really well (6"
grid), and then gave it a coat of feathering compound. That seemed to
work fine as a base for the tiles. (although note mine do not have a
high shine and so do not reveal every imperfection in the level)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2018 17:20, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Not as much as I was expecting to be fair... ISTR the better of the two
wickes ones were about £15 or £16 at the time. (they are listing the
latex one at £18.69 at the mo, or 14.95 if you get 3 or more now)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/18 18:06, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

£22 inc VAT:

https://www.ukflooringsupplier.co.uk...ch=stopgap+300

but the OP will also need one bottle of:

https://www.ukflooringsupplier.co.uk..._15481881.aspx

for £34 and you cannot avoid using that (and expect SG300 to work!).

However, the end result is a flat surface that's virtually iron hard.

self adhesive vinyl tiles over ceramic tiles? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 7 August 12th 13 03:10 PM
Laying floor tiles over vinyl tiles ? TonyB UK diy 5 October 11th 09 03:47 PM
Prepare bathroom floor JustMe UK diy 8 January 9th 06 07:16 PM
How do I prepare/level an uneven wooden floor for laying ceramic tiles? Peter UK diy 2 September 4th 04 11:39 PM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM