Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electric regs

A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?
He seems to think the 'big' change will be mandatory surge protectors on new builds. Anyone heard similar or has he got the wrong end of the stick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide? He seems to think the 'big'
change will be mandatory surge protectors on new builds. Anyone heard
similar or has he got the wrong end of the stick?

as I rememebr a talk I went to, surge protectors are not required - yet.
The Regs are published next week.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2018 12:26, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide? He seems to think the 'big'
change will be mandatory surge protectors on new builds. Anyone heard
similar or has he got the wrong end of the stick?

as I rememebr a talk I went to, surge protectors are not required - yet.
The Regs are published next week.

....for a mere £95.

Ignorance of the law may be no excuse, but knowledge of it is expensive
when making the law is, in effect, privatised.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would be nice but then again how good are they if the area gets struck by
lightning!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?
He seems to think the 'big' change will be mandatory surge protectors on
new builds. Anyone heard similar or has he got the wrong end of the stick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide? He seems to think the 'big'
change will be mandatory surge protectors on new builds. Anyone heard
similar or has he got the wrong end of the stick?

as I rememebr a talk I went to, surge protectors are not required - yet.
The Regs are published next week.

...for a mere £95.

Members get a 35% discount. which brings it down to a mere £61.75.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 03:34:33 -0700, mb07jeb wrote:

A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?
He seems to think the 'big' change will be mandatory surge protectors on
new builds. Anyone heard similar or has he got the wrong end of the
stick?

Yes, he's got the wrong end of the stick.
The film is for invited guests (and those that apply) only, run by NICEIC
and ELECSA, which are the same Company really.
Arc fault detection has been introduced, but the wording is something
like ' Arc fault detector devices should be considered when designing an
installation'.
Of which no-one who doesnt use them now , will not take any notice of.
They are flawed devices, so have not been made compulsory. A lot of
people made submissions about their inclusion on the consultation, so it
is rumoured that the Reg was watered down as there was so much opposition
to it.
Other than that, there are a number of other minor changes, which will
cause no problem to 99.9% of installers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Would be nice but then again how good are they if the area gets struck by
lightning!

Depends on how far away the strike is. Nothing
that is affordable works with a direct strike, but
do help a lot with one further way that will do
significant damage without it.

wrote

A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?

He seems to think the 'big' change will be mandatory surge protectors on
new builds. Anyone heard similar or has he got the wrong end of the
stick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/06/2018 18:20, Alan wrote:
[...]

+1

But it is the thin edge of the wedge.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Alan wrote:

Arc fault detection has been introduced
They are flawed devices, so have not been made compulsory.

But it is the thin edge of the wedge.

I had assumed an AFDD would be a whole house device similar to how RCDs
were initially introduced before split rail CUs, but the ones I could
see are combined MCB+AFDD devices, just when RCBOs seem to be getting to
a reasonable price ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 June 2018 18:20:14 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?

The film is for invited guests (and those that apply) only, run by NICEIC
and ELECSA, which are the same Company really.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put it on You Tube?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 June 2018 22:03:04 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 28 June 2018 18:20:14 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced
through a film shown at cinemas nationwide?

The film is for invited guests (and those that apply) only, run by NICEIC
and ELECSA, which are the same Company really.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put it on You Tube?

Owain

those involved would then not get paid so much.

NT

New electric regs Keith Dunbar UK diy 23 June 30th 07 04:15 PM
Is it possible to view gas/electric regs online? SS UK diy 6 October 29th 05 07:44 PM
Is it possible to view gas/electric regs online? SS UK diy 1 October 29th 05 05:22 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
New elec regs - my questionnaire! Tony Bryer UK diy 8 August 27th 03 03:08 PM