Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Next door machinery vibration

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/18 10:25, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

If he's running a business from there and working all hours of the day
then there are rules about that sort of thing in domestic situations.

When I was running The Music Workshop from shop premises in a mixed
retail/domestic terrace, I tacked carpet remnants onto the feet and
backboards of my work benches etc. It was very effective at cutting out
conducted vibration but there was still airborne noise to contend with.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 June 2018 10:25:52 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

Noise reduction requires mass, isolation, stiffness, damping. Vibration is low frequency so especially needs mass. Rubber pads provide damping & a bit of mass.

Start by showing us the wall construction.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

Rubber pads/mounts will decouple the source from the foundations which
you probably share and help with that transmission path but I'd expect
the main route to be through the walls and open windows.
The noise from a lathe should be quite low apart from intermittent cuts
when starting off a square blank to make it round.
A planer, assuming three knives, will predominate at around 200Hz and a
saw will have blade tooth related noise in the 1-2kHz range. If it has a
brush motor, there will be the banshee wail from that too although most
serious woodworkers will have induction motor powered machinery and the
noise generated will mainly be when actually cutting.

Low frequency vibration suggests that one or more machines has something
out of balance which would be unusual and highly desirable to fix at source.

I think you can get simple frequency analysis apps for phones these days
which might give you an idea of the frequency ranges you are dealing
with and hence the type of solution.
A/V mounts and pads are only likely to attenuate very low frequency
vibrations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...rd-parts/anti-
vibration-pads/anti-vibration-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

I fit rectangles of reinforced rubber belt under all my machinery.
Mainly to level up poorly laid agricultural concrete. I think most noise
from woodworking machinery is likely to be airborne, particularly
circular saw and planer.

I don't see much hope of him volunteering to fit sound absorbing
material on his walls:-(

Perhaps you could encourage him to take up Golf?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

His garage would be single brick on my side and concrete floor (house
construction mid-1960s)

My extension I guess is double brick or brick + breeze block and
wooden floor c1985

My wall to his wall ~ 3" gap.

Definitely a sense of vibration/rumbling coming through our house.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Once the vibration is in the structure there is little one can do. Back when
I worked a big Lathe was in an adjacent room and despite all sorts of things
like suspended floor and decoupled walls, you still got the rumble all the
time. Unfortunately if one could have put the lathe on some softer mounts it
might have helped, but unfortunately this sort of gear needs a solid
mounting for obvious reasons.
When its structure borne its a nightmare. Have you noticed that a bloke
with a hammer drill anywhere in a building is audible everywhere?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the slab the garage is built on joined to the main concrete of the
footings of your extension? If so severing this might help the structure
borne components, and as saws tend to mainly be hf, then some good
soundproofing might well cut that down.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is the slab the garage is built on joined to the main concrete of the
footings of your extension? If so severing this might help

Tricky with just 3" between the buildings ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You do need to be careful as a bloke down the road seems to have taken up
sawing up paving stones as a hobby, normally on a warm summers afternoon.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , AnthonyL
writes
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 10:25, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast.

snip

... or any other ideas?

Noise cancelling headphones. Inexpensive (~£30) ones work quite well
for LF, expensive ones (~£300) work very well.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 14:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Is the slab the garage is built onÂ* joined to the main concrete of the
footings of your extension? If so severing this might help

Tricky with just 3" between the buildings ...

Also legally tricky if the neighbour owns those 3 inches.

And then there's the Party Wall Act...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Is the slab the garage is built on joined to the main concrete of the
footings of your extension? If so severing this might help

Tricky with just 3" between the buildings ...

Diy diamond coated washing line ?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 10:25, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.

He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.

Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.

Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ion-pads/p2051

or similar, or any other ideas?

I found that rubber based anti-vibration products were fine for
stand-alone items, like an air compressor, where it didn't matter if the
top bit wiggled around a bit. They were less successful under machine
tools that needed stability. I used this stuff under the lathes in my
factories instead. It worked surprisingly well, considering that it
appears to be a hard, rigid material:

http://www.farrat.com/anti-vibration.../squaregrip-sg

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 14:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
Once the vibration is in the structure there is little one can do. Back when
I worked a big Lathe was in an adjacent room and despite all sorts of things
like suspended floor and decoupled walls, you still got the rumble all the
time. Unfortunately if one could have put the lathe on some softer mounts it
might have helped, but unfortunately this sort of gear needs a solid
mounting for obvious reasons.

One solution for those kinds of applications is to fix it to a solid
base, but the isolate the base. So say a cast concrete pad for the
lathe, but that itself on rubber mounts.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 12:44, AnthonyL wrote:
My wall to his wall ~ 3" gap.

Definitely a sense of vibration/rumbling coming through our house.

You might have an air gap between external walls but I suspect
your extension foundations are in physical contact with his
garage foundations, since they will (or should be) double the
width of the supporting wall and a similar depth

Hence vibrations are being conducted via his garage floor
into his garage wall, down to his foundations, across to
yours and up your extension walls.

Did your seller not disclose this ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 22/06/2018 12:44, AnthonyL wrote:
My wall to his wall ~ 3" gap.

Definitely a sense of vibration/rumbling coming through our house.

You might have an air gap between external walls but I suspect
your extension foundations are in physical contact with his
garage foundations, since they will (or should be) double the
width of the supporting wall and a similar depth

Hence vibrations are being conducted via his garage floor
into his garage wall, down to his foundations, across to
yours and up your extension walls.

Did your seller not disclose this ?

Or you &/or your surveyor not realise/wonder with a 3" gap between
the walls...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote
AnthonyL wrote

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast.

... or any other ideas?

Noise cancelling headphones. Inexpensive (~£30) ones work quite well for
LF, expensive ones (~£300) work very well.

Wont help with the LF vibrations coming thru the
building structure that you can feel thru your body.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 05:33:05 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

You simply HAD to **** also in this thread, eh, incontinent senile Rot? LOL

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 14:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
You do need to be careful as a bloke down the road seems to have taken up
sawing up paving stones as a hobby, normally on a warm summers afternoon.
Brian

Our next-door neighbour and his previous wife used to have poker parties
on Thursday nights. In the summer this meant they were drunkenly
shouting and laughing 'til 6:30 in the morning, next to open French
doors, right near our open bedroom window ... and I was usually getting
up at 7:45 for work!

One Friday, I'd booked the day off and planned to do some diy, but at
8:00 I started cutting up some steel with an angle grinder, right in the
corner of the garden nearest their bedroom window. I kept it up for an
hour or more.

The poker parties (or at least the noise from them) stopped after that.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/18 21:39, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/06/2018 14:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
You do need to be careful as a bloke down the road seems to have taken up
sawing up paving stones as a hobby, normally on a warm summers afternoon.
Â* Brian

Our next-door neighbour and his previous wife used to have poker parties
on Thursday nights. In the summer this meant they were drunkenly
shouting and laughing 'til 6:30 in the morning, next to open French
doors, right near our open bedroom window ... and I was usually getting
up at 7:45 for work!

One Friday, I'd booked the day off and planned to do some diy, but at
8:00 I started cutting up some steel with an angle grinder, right in the
corner of the garden nearest their bedroom window. I kept it up for an
hour or more.

The poker parties (or at least the noise from them) stopped after that.

SteveW

I used to rent half of a pair of back to back cottages on teh Fens.
Isolated or what. At one time te other half waqs let to a couple of
squaddies..just back from Iraq.

They decided to have a party nect to my bedroom. THis was in an
extension buoilt out the cnback and had a commeon loft space. I could
hear everyu word.

At 3 a.m. I was fed up, so, grabbing half a dozen airbombs from last
years November 5th I slunk outside stark naked into the summer night,
and planted all of them pointing directly over the house, lit them and
scampered back to bed.

I guess being in a war makes you nervous of loud noises.

But nothing was ever said to ne directly and the "WTF? Are we under
attack? " from the drunken squaddies was music to my ears.

The party stopped and the never bothered me with noise again.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 June 2018 12:44:56 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Then you've got most of the elements there already, mass, stiffness & decoupling. Damping would need to be very stiff damping for a brick wall, not flimsy stuff intended for PB walls. I'd look at either lead lining or building another wall leaf isolated from the existing one with sand/gravel damping.. If you're sure the sound isn't getting in other ways. And if it's rumble it probably isn't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 June 2018 20:48:06 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Noise reduction requires mass, isolation, stiffness, damping. Vibration
is low frequency so especially needs mass. Rubber pads provide damping
& a bit of mass.

'Vibration is low frequency'??? It's any frequency you fancy! :-)

If you can feel it as vibration it's definitely low frequency. Get yourself the relevant equipment & try it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 10:53, wrote:
[...]

Assuming these are modern properties, I wonder if the transmission is
via the slab? Even, whether the properties share a common slab.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2018 20:33, Rod Speed wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote
AnthonyL wrote

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast.

... or any other ideas?

Noise cancelling headphones.Â* Inexpensive (~£30) ones work quite well
for LF,Â* expensive ones (~£300) work very well.

Wont help with the LF vibrations coming thru the
building structure that you can feel thru your body.

Surely you're not suggesting that noise cancelling headphones won't stop
vibrations? You'll be claiming they won't cancel smells next. ****.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
news
On 22/06/2018 20:33, Rod Speed wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote
AnthonyL wrote

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast.

... or any other ideas?

Noise cancelling headphones. Inexpensive (~£30) ones work quite well
for LF, expensive ones (~£300) work very well.

Wont help with the LF vibrations coming thru the
building structure that you can feel thru your body.

Surely you're not suggesting that noise cancelling headphones won't stop
vibrations?

No, that they have no effect on what you feel thru your body from
whatever part of your body is in contact with the building structure.

You'll be claiming they won't cancel smells next. ****.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag. ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 19:54:50 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

You will keep bull****ting your way right into your grave, senile cretin!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:27:23 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

I found that rubber based anti-vibration products were fine for
stand-alone items, like an air compressor, where it didn't matter if the
top bit wiggled around a bit. They were less successful under machine
tools that needed stability.

snip

I wonder if just 'by chance' my little Myford ML10 seems to be fairly
quiet / vibration free (even when I had it in an indoor 'spare room')
because it sits on a wooden cabinet (some sort of ex sideboard /
cupboards / draws thing)?

I mean, the actual lathe is generally quiet in use but you can sense
there would be some LF bearing / drive / belt 'rumble' that I imagine
could carry some way if not isolated?

The pump on my Bambi compressor is already rubber isolated and is
about as quiet as a compressor could get (to the joy of my tinnitus
and the neighbours). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't have thought so as before our side extension would have
been build there would have been 2-3 metres from his garage to our
house. But that's now been filled so good luck on getting access
through the 2-4" gap.

AnthonyL

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 02:15:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 22 June 2018 12:44:56 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 22 June 2018 10:25:52 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.
=20
http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ard-parts/ant=
[...]

I was looking at vibration dampers under the feet of his equipment not
his house.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Worth a look, thanks.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 June 2018 10:47:50 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

If you can feel it as vibration it's definitely low frequency. Get yourself the relevant equipment & try it.

I once spent some time on a project in a simple form of anechoic
chamber, and it was indeed quite strange.

As I was doing tests near the hearing threshold, I set up my kit
with a sound level meter, which happened to have a scope output.
Out of curiosity, I had a look at things with a flat response
selected (instead if the usual "A" weighting), and was surprised
how much low frequency stuff there was about.

it's an unavoidable problem with microphones. Normal movements cause very large amplitude infrasonics, ever accompanied by harmonics.

One odd aspect was that, although external airborne noise was
well suppressed, they hadn't managed fully to isolate the chamber
from the basement floor it stood on. There was a railway line
about 1/4 mile away, and although I never ever heard a passing
train outside the chamber, inside they were clearly audible.

Chris

it's hard to achieve complete isolation. Electronic suspension technology can do it, but afaik it's impractical passively. One way or another the weight has to be carried, and that means a connection with some stiffness & thus coupling.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 June 2018 12:35:39 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 02:15:39 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

people don't usually get noisy neighbours to co-operate.
How putting things under his house comes into it I don't know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 22/06/2018 10:53, wrote:
[...]

It reads like the OPs extension came after the neighbours garage?
But could be other way around?

Either way building 3" away from an existing structure is asking
for issues.

Does the extension have BC approval or pp? These issues would have
been picked up at plans approval &/or footings inspection stages

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2018 11:38, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:27:23 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

I found that rubber based anti-vibration products were fine for
stand-alone items, like an air compressor, where it didn't matter if the
top bit wiggled around a bit. They were less successful under machine
tools that needed stability.

snip

I wonder if just 'by chance' my little Myford ML10 seems to be fairly
quiet / vibration free (even when I had it in an indoor 'spare room')
because it sits on a wooden cabinet (some sort of ex sideboard /
cupboards / draws thing)?

I wouldn't be surprised if wood had similar properties to the plastic
material I provided a link to.

I mean, the actual lathe is generally quiet in use but you can sense
there would be some LF bearing / drive / belt 'rumble' that I imagine
could carry some way if not isolated?

The pump on my Bambi compressor is already rubber isolated and is
about as quiet as a compressor could get (to the joy of my tinnitus
and the neighbours). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 09:09:53 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

I wonder if just 'by chance' my little Myford ML10 seems to be fairly
quiet / vibration free (even when I had it in an indoor 'spare room')
because it sits on a wooden cabinet (some sort of ex sideboard /
cupboards / draws thing)?

I wouldn't be surprised if wood had similar properties to the plastic
material I provided a link to.

That's what I was wondering too. ;-)

I wonder if people also hear their neighbours tumble dryers or washing
machines (though vibration I mean)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 17:50:13 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

newshound Wrote in message:
On 22/06/2018 10:53, wrote:
[...]

Correct, the houses were built with attached garages. We're talking
the domestic garage here not a mechanic's garage.

Either way building 3" away from an existing structure is asking
for issues.

Does the extension have BC approval or pp? These issues would have
been picked up at plans approval &/or footings inspection stages

Amazingly there is building approval. However the woodworking
enthusiast wouldn't have been here then.

--
AnthonyL