Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting wiring

Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as
it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

Perhaps until we see the price tag?

I wonder if they'll have one for 2-way switching, and one that takes an
intermediate switch?

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as
it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

I would imagine there would have to be guides to assist?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E and
it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

Perhaps until we see the price tag?

£5 (that's the retail their web shop)

I wonder if they'll have one for 2-way switching

They could make one, but normally the 3&E strapper would just run
between the switches, not back to the junction box.

and one that takes an intermediate switch?

Small demand I suppose.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as
it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

I would imagine there would have to be guides to assist?

Someone else has a review video, but it's a bit slow-paced

https://youtu.be/u-Io_AyRDHc?t=4m07s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 10:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

Perhaps until we see the price tag?

£5 (that's the retail their web shop)

I wonder if they'll have one for 2-way switching

They could make one, but normally the 3&E strapper would just run
between the switches, not back to the junction box.

OK but that then means another T+E to a switch.

and one that takes an intermediate switch?

Small demand I suppose.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as
it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

I would imagine there would have to be guides to assist?

Someone else has a review video, but it's a bit slow-paced

https://youtu.be/u-Io_AyRDHc?t=4m07s

Looks a neat box.

The issue of removing a wire worried me and this video allays that
concern, where a simple tool allows the extraction of a wire.

There are perhaps better systems for multiple downlights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E and
it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

That's not a silly idea! Your signal to noise has improved recently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Perhaps until we see the price tag?

I wonder if they'll have one for 2-way switching, and one that takes an
intermediate switch?

...and one which allows for more the two power cables, more than one
load cable?

They seem fine, but only as a direct replacement where a joint box
would be used, with just basic cables. They are not a replacement for
where a ceiling rose would normally be used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E and
it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex on
Thursday.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E and
it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex on
Thursday.

How common is that amongst the apprentices ?

You really must be getting the absolute dregs of the labour market.
Presumably the ones too stupid to rort the welfare system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/06/2018 20:02, Rod Speed wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E
and it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex on
Thursday.

How common is that amongst the apprentices ?

You really must be getting the absolute dregs of the labour market.
Presumably the ones too stupid to rort the welfare system.

I would like them dead.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E
and it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex on
Thursday.

How common is that amongst the apprentices ?

You really must be getting the absolute dregs of the labour market.
Presumably the ones too stupid to rort the welfare system.

I would like them dead.

With a bit of luck one may well kill himself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or
would apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the
T&E and it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex
on Thursday.

How common is that amongst the apprentices ?

You really must be getting the absolute dregs of the labour market.
Presumably the ones too stupid to rort the welfare system.

I would like them dead.

With a bit of luck one may well kill himself.

Luck? I was counting on sheer stupidity or good old murder.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as
it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I have just had a look at his videos. Not bad IMHO.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.

Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E
and it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.

Useless ****er failed to correctly fit a 13A plug to a 3 core flex on
Thursday.

How common is that amongst the apprentices ?

You really must be getting the absolute dregs of the labour market.
Presumably the ones too stupid to rort the welfare system.

I would like them dead.

With a bit of luck one may well kill himself.

Luck? I was counting on sheer stupidity

Unfortunately for you, modern electrical systems
are so fail safe now, particularly at the end user end,
that even sheer stupidity is unlikely to kill one now.

Different at the next level back, in the electrical
substations and places like that where it is still
very easy to get killed by your sheer stupidity.

or good old murder.

Can't you slip one of the romanians
a few slabs and get him to off one ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21duycz424...1x449.jpg?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/18 21:04, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC
as it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?

No, indeed it is also 1mm2 :-|
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

He didn't sleeve the switched live.
I don't see that he could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 23:16, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 21:04, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC
as it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?

No, indeed it is also 1mm2 :-|

I'd have thought that providing strain relief for the different cables
would be a bit more of a challenge. And oddly the site seems to have
removed the FAQ which mentioned strain relief[1]. I can't see from the
videos how it's done but assume the cable is clamped as the fitting
slides in.

[1] From Google's cache:

"Is Quickwire 17th edition compliant? Is there built in strain relief to
stop wires getting pulled out?

The 17th edition is a code of practice for installers rather than
manufactures, but having said that we obviously designed Quickwire so
that installers can comply using our product. Our Quickwire junction
boxes have completed testing to BS EN 60670-22 in conjunction with BS EN
60670-1:2005 + A1:2013 (Boxes and enclosures for electrical accessories
for household and similar fixed electrical installations).

It is currently in testing for BS 5733 specifically for
€˜maintenance-free accessories. This is a punishing test that
unfortunately takes 15 weeks. Once we have this we can then say the
product does not require maintenance and therefore can be installed
anywhere even if there is no access."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2018 23:17, dennis@home wrote:

He didn't sleeve the switched live.
I don't see that he could.

I don't see that he would need to in that situation.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

He didn't sleeve the switched live.
I don't see that he could.

I don't see that he would need to in that situation.

It is effectively marked "Ls" for switched live by the printing on the
connector itself, sounds like they are planning a 3&E version for
two-way switching.

I wonder if they'll try to make click'n'play switches and ceiling roses,
and maybe a 6 or 8 way splitter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/18 21:04, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or
would apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC
as it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?

No, indeed it is also 1mm2 :-|

I'd have thought that providing strain relief for the different cables
would be a bit more of a challenge.Â* And oddly the site seems to have
removed the FAQ which mentioned strain relief[1].Â* I can't see from the
videos how it's done but assume the cable is clamped as the fitting
slides in.

[1] From Google's cache:

"Is Quickwire 17th edition compliant? Is there built in strain relief to
stop wires getting pulled out?

Do conventional junction boxes have any strain relief? Most rely upon
the screw terminals directly on the wire to keep things in place.

I didn't think strain relief was a requirement for fixed wiring?

The 17th edition is a code of practice for installers rather than
manufactures, but having said that we obviously designed Quickwire so
that installers can comply using our product. Our Quickwire junction
boxes have completed testing to BS EN 60670-22 in conjunction with BS EN
60670-1:2005 + A1:2013 (Boxes and enclosures for electrical accessories
for household and similar fixed electrical installations).

It is currently in testing for BS 5733 specifically for
€˜maintenance-free accessories. This is a punishing test that
unfortunately takes 15 weeks. Once we have this we can then say the
product does not require maintenance and therefore can be installed
anywhere even if there is no access."

One wonders what this 15 week test is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/18 12:08, Fredxx wrote:

Do conventional junction boxes have any strain relief? Most rely upon
the screw terminals directly on the wire to keep things in place.

I didn't think strain relief was a requirement for fixed wiring?

Normally you would clip the cable near where it enters the JB. But that
assumes the JB is fixed - many are just floating around in ceiling voids
and to be fair, under those conditions it's unlikely to get a cable yanked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2018 12:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/06/18 12:08, Fredxx wrote:

Do conventional junction boxes have any strain relief? Most rely upon
the screw terminals directly on the wire to keep things in place.

I didn't think strain relief was a requirement for fixed wiring?

Normally you would clip the cable near where it enters the JB. But that
assumes the JB is fixed - many are just floating around in ceiling voids
and to be fair, under those conditions it's unlikely to get a cable yanked.

I wondered if "fixed" is the right adjective for a junction box pushed
through a 32mm hole and which is likely face movement over its life when
ceiling fittings are changed - even if the apprentice doesn't end up
hanging from the chandelier

In any event, I think the makers ought to indicate whether or not the
junction boxes have means for clamping (and if so whether retention or
anchorage) and I can't find it.

--
Robin