Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Lighting wiring

On 10/06/2018 23:16, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 21:04, ARW wrote:
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would
apprentices still manage to **** them up somehow?

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
https://quickwire.co.uk

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.

I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC
as it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?

No, indeed it is also 1mm2 :-|

I'd have thought that providing strain relief for the different cables
would be a bit more of a challenge. And oddly the site seems to have
removed the FAQ which mentioned strain relief[1]. I can't see from the
videos how it's done but assume the cable is clamped as the fitting
slides in.

[1] From Google's cache:

"Is Quickwire 17th edition compliant? Is there built in strain relief to
stop wires getting pulled out?

The 17th edition is a code of practice for installers rather than
manufactures, but having said that we obviously designed Quickwire so
that installers can comply using our product. Our Quickwire junction
boxes have completed testing to BS EN 60670-22 in conjunction with BS EN
60670-1:2005 + A1:2013 (Boxes and enclosures for electrical accessories
for household and similar fixed electrical installations).

It is currently in testing for BS 5733 specifically for
€˜maintenance-free accessories. This is a punishing test that
unfortunately takes 15 weeks. Once we have this we can then say the
product does not require maintenance and therefore can be installed
anywhere even if there is no access."

--
Robin