Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Lighting wiring

On 11/06/2018 12:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/06/18 12:08, Fredxx wrote:

Do conventional junction boxes have any strain relief? Most rely upon
the screw terminals directly on the wire to keep things in place.

I didn't think strain relief was a requirement for fixed wiring?

Normally you would clip the cable near where it enters the JB. But that
assumes the JB is fixed - many are just floating around in ceiling voids
and to be fair, under those conditions it's unlikely to get a cable yanked.

I wondered if "fixed" is the right adjective for a junction box pushed
through a 32mm hole and which is likely face movement over its life when
ceiling fittings are changed - even if the apprentice doesn't end up
hanging from the chandelier

In any event, I think the makers ought to indicate whether or not the
junction boxes have means for clamping (and if so whether retention or
anchorage) and I can't find it.

--
Robin