Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default petrol lawn mower recommendations?

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 23:03:24 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre wrote:

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 8:11:37 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/06/2018 10:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 19:04:55 +0100, charles wrote:

or it might be the height was wrongly set. Or the outletb was clogged.

Clogged outlet on mine just means it turns into mulching mower for a
bit or leaves a trail of cut grass.

I ran mine over the last remnants of the daffodils in knee high grass
today and I reckon that you must have to be deaf not to notice the
change in engine note, grass flying out the side and behind when the
outlet to the collection bag fills up. Ignoring these warning signs will
eventually stall the mower when the underdeck is filled with grass pate.

To stall a petrol mower requires a total lack of mechanical sympathy.

The collection bag on my mower inflates slightly in use so when I see it start to collapse I know the bag's getting full, or there's clogging somewhere.

One thing I do with long or damp grass is, rather than charge headlong into the undergrowth, attack it using only half the width of the mower; I figure that puts less stress on the thing.

There's an area of grass that I don't collect but just let it shoot out the
back. When it's a bit long I set the mower to 6 at the front (highest) and 4
at the rear (usual for that area) so that the cut is in 2 goes, effectively.
Some grass is done at 3 - 2 as more will go into the bag and it's less
likily to clog, but most I do at 6 as it leaves a lot of liitle plants and
doesn't touch the bees' burrows.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away