Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop dust extraction (again)

I still haven't found the right round tuit to get the extraction system
sorted, but it's getting closer. I recently bought a "Dust Commander"
cyclone and (very much to my surprise) it's a brilliant gizzmo, so
that's motivated me to sort out a proper system.
I have a standard high_volume_low_pressure (HVLP) chip collector for the
planer, thicknesser and spindle and will be using the cyclone+dyson for
things like table saw, router, bandsaw and sander. I plan to put both
vacuum systems in a closed cubicle, exhausting to the outside world, and
to run smooth pipework across the ceiling (with a static wire!) to
several drops, with appropriate reducers, bungs and/or blast gates.
I can't decide whether I need to run separate 100mm and 50mm pipes, or
whether I can have one 100mm "distribution" pipe and connect either the
cyclone+dyson (via 50mm) or the chip collector (via 100mm), depending on
the tool that's connected. What does the team think?
I can't think of a better way to phrase it - I hope it makes sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2018 22:33, wrote:

I still haven't found the right round tuit to get the extraction system
sorted, but it's getting closer. I recently bought a "Dust Commander"
cyclone and (very much to my surprise) it's a brilliant gizzmo, so
that's motivated me to sort out a proper system.

Yup cyclones are good, although they will still miss the very fine
stuff, so either additional hepa filtration or exhausting the air is
better from a health point of view.

I have a standard high_volume_low_pressure (HVLP) chip collector for the
planer, thicknesser and spindle and will be using the cyclone+dyson for
things like table saw, router, bandsaw and sander. I plan to put both
vacuum systems in a closed cubicle, exhausting to the outside world, and
to run smooth pipework across the ceiling (with a static wire!)

People tend to make lots of fuss about static discharge wires etc, but
in reality the only real fire risk with wood dust is when the collection
system ingests sparks from grinding etc, static is not going to be a
problem...

One thing to keep in mind if venting the collection air, is you will
need a way for outside air to get back in, since you are not trying to
de-pressurise the building! Also a high rate of extraction will also
significantly up the heating costs in the winter.

several drops, with appropriate reducers, bungs and/or blast gates.
I can't decide whether I need to run separate 100mm and 50mm pipes, or
whether I can have one 100mm "distribution" pipe and connect either the
cyclone+dyson (via 50mm) or the chip collector (via 100mm), depending on
the tool that's connected. What does the team think?

Best option is usually large ducting from the extractor and only reduce
near the tool. However you need enough power at the suction end to cope
with the pressure drop in the small hoses.

If you need low volume high pressure for small tools and you have not
got the power at the head end, then you are usually better off with a M
class dust collector close to the tool for the small stuff and save the
ducted system for the tools that can produce large volumes of chips
rather than smaller quantities of fine dust.

110mm soil pipe is a very cheap way to do the larger ducting for a small
to medium power system (1 to 2hp collector). More powerful systems hay
want 5" or 6" ducting for the initial runs.

To get complete collection at the tool, you need adequate speed of
airflow to overcome the speed of particle ejection from the tool - and
that can be quite a challenge when you think of the blade/cutter tip
speed on some of the tools. Although generally collection at source is
better than trying to filter it out of the air later. If you can't
always ensure full collection at the source, then budget for one or more
air cleaners as well.

I can't think of a better way to phrase it - I hope it makes sense.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2018 01:56, John Rumm wrote:
Yup cyclones are good, although they will still miss the very fine
stuff, so either additional hepa filtration or exhausting the air is
better from a health point of view.

Adams GF should have bought one of those :-)