Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop dust extraction

I'm just starting to set-up a workshop at the "new" house. The floor is
now concreted and painted so thoughts are starting to turn (in parallel
with the zillions of other projects that I keep discussing) to dust
extraction.
The tools generating wood dust a a Kity Bestcombi 2000 (saw,
thicknesser, planer, spindle, etc), a Shopsmith 510 (lathe, saw,
horizontal boring, etc), a bandsaw and the usual list of routers,
jigsaws, jointers, etc. For collection there's a small Kity dust extractor.
It's about 4m x 4.5m and will be for both metalwork and woodwork. I plan
to build a small dedicated area for the dust extractor and to use an old
kitchen extractor to draw air from that area to the outside world.

Some of the thoughts going around my head a is a cyclone worthwhile?
should I use plastic or metal ducting? will the Kity extractor have
enough suck to extract effectively if I put the ducting at ceiling level?
Any comments on the above? What have other people done for dust extraction?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 18:54, wrote:

[...]

Its a big subject... and you have conflicting requirements to deal with...

So for example a planer/thicknesser will generate large volumes of
coarse wood chips/shavings, and only a small mount of fine particulate
dust. A router or sander the reverse.

Large machines favour massive volume of air moved at speed - and the
amount of "suction" is less important. Small hand held tools using small
hoses, work better with higher suction levels, but the quantity of air
movement is less important. (for complete collection, the air speed
ideally needs to exceed the maximum chip speed, coming off the periphery
of the blade etc)

The large coarse shaving make lots of mess and nuisance, but represent
less health hazard. The really fine stuff is potentially dangerous - and
the effects are cumulative. So the more woodwork you do the more
important dealing with it becomes.

So you will likely need several collection strategies, unless you can go
nuclear with a big cyclone that can manage lots of air speed, volume,
and pressure, and so can collect pretty much everything, from any tool.
(even then hand tools would pose a problem).

My personal setup (and this its not ideal - treat this just FYI), is a
partly ducted 1.5hp chip collector (dual bag type) for planer /
thicknesser/ table saw, band saw. Also sometimes with a big air funnel
on a stand type attachment to try and catch the mess spewed from some
routing applications. This has 2.5m of flexible 4" hose on for
connection directly to some things. at other times it connects to an
overhead 5m length of 110mm soil pipe to get to the other side of the
shop, thence another length of flexi hose for dropping down to the
thicknesser, planer, and bandsaw without being so much of a trip hazard.
It works, but TBH, and HP of power would be good - especially on the
longer duct run.

I use a wet'n'dry shop vac with fine filter bags for small tools and
fine dust collection.

I run a ceiling mounted dual stage JET air cleaner for mopping up
anything that gets airborne.

Lastly a decent 3M half face mask respirator when doing anything
particularly risky like processing MDF, or a long session at the table
saw (mine does not have over the blade collection - so some always gets
ejected up and at you)

I would recommend a read of Bill Pentz's site on the subject:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

(its a tad more commercial now that he actually manufactures the Clear
Vue kit, but much of the original research and detail is still there)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 22:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/08/2017 18:54, wrote:

[...]

movement is less important.Â* (for complete collection, the air speed
ideally needs to exceed the maximum chip speed, coming off the periphery
of the blade etc)

The large coarse shaving make lots of mess and nuisance, but represent
less health hazard. The really fine stuff is potentially dangerous - and
the effects are cumulative. So the more woodwork you do the more
important dealing with it becomes.

So you will likely need several collection strategies, unless you can go
nuclear with a big cycloneÂ* that can manage lots of air speed, volume,
[...]

Do those dual bag types do good filtering of fine dust?
If I had one I would not want it in the shop but outside so that dust
couldn't be released in the shop. A little project to build a small side
extension?

My Vac (Bosch GAS25) certainly does a better job of containing dust than
any bag type dust extractor I have seen. You can certainly sand plaster
and stuff with no visible dust using a random orbital sander.

The dangerous stuff is pretty close to invisible to the naked eye and
goes straight through most "dust" masks that they sell in B&Q.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
"dennis@home" writes
If I had one I would not want it in the shop but outside so that dust
couldn't be released in the shop. A little project to build a small
side extension?

My brother is a dedicated turner and woodworker, and that is exactly
what he did [1]. A sort of lean to extension, probably 4 ft wide, 2
deep and 4 high. Sadly, I have no idea what the extraction kit inside
actually is. All I really notice is large bore pipes and stuff. I
think it is designed to extract dust rather than larger shavings, the
logic being that the dust is more unpleasant and less healthy. I'll ask
him next time we speak.

[1] He builds sheds like most of us change socks. His workshop is
huge, then there is the extension, a smaller metalwork shop, a shed
where he stores the wood scrounged after October '87, a general storage
shed, garden shed etc.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Following on from your other thread when you mentioned low bandwidth.
I have put this video of my extraction set up in a drop box so you can
download the file however long that takes and then watch it locally
rather than have stop start view in real time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrmbaxkfur...clone.AVI?dl=0

The cyclone itself was built from an Ikea large galvanised flower pot
and several woodworkers built them but Ikea have stopped selling them now.
They are not too bad to fabricate from sheet metal if you can access the
material. There are other separator designs out there that are easier to
make eg Thein.

Having the blower in the roof and the rest of the extractor parts
stacked vertically against the wall minimises floor space lost and makes
emptying the bin fairly easy. try and avoid using a 200 ish litre drum
even though they are easy to get, they are 'kin heavy full of sawdust. I
think my bin is about 60 litres but 30 mins work on the planer can fill it!

Hope this helps.
Incidentally I think you are ****ing into the wind try to do anything
useful with a kitchen extractor fan. My blower is 14" with 3hp motor.
Now that really sucks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 18:54, wrote:

I'm just starting to set-up a workshop at the "new" house. The floor is
now concreted and painted so thoughts are starting to turn (in parallel
with the zillions of other projects that I keep discussing) to dust
extraction.

[snip]

Its a big subject... and you have conflicting requirements to deal
with...

My personal setup (and this its not ideal - treat this just FYI), is a
partly ducted 1.5hp chip collector (dual bag type) for planer /
thicknesser/ table saw, band saw. Also sometimes with a big air funnel

Do those dual bag types do good filtering of fine dust?

In their basic form (cloth bags top and bottom) generally no - they are
usually intended to operate as chip collectors rather than dust
extractors. Feeding them fine dust will often just make sure it gets
wider air circulation.

Having said that you can change the top filter bag to one that does
collect finer stuff, or fit a pleated cartridge filter to the top. In
both cases you need to use a sealed plastic bag on the bottom. Doing
that will often lose too much airflow on the smaller machines though.

If I had one I would not want it in the shop but outside so that dust
couldn't be released in the shop. A little project to build a small side
extension?

Yup, or if there is space an internal partitioned off space...

My Vac (Bosch GAS25) certainly does a better job of containing dust than
any bag type dust extractor I have seen. You can certainly sand plaster
and stuff with no visible dust using a random orbital sander.

The dangerous stuff is pretty close to invisible to the naked eye and
goes straight through most "dust" masks that they sell in B&Q.

That's where the 3M respirators designed for particle and vapour control
are worth having. They also fit the face much better and don't steam up
your glasses.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2017 09:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
I do know that static in plastic ducting for lightweight dust can be an
issue as it sticks to the sides.
Also I do hope you have good fire prevention, nothing like sawdust for a
nice flash fire, except probably four.

The main issue with sawdust is when something hot enough to ignite it is
ingested into the collection system (like grinding sparks etc). There is
a myth that ignition can be caused by static build up, but I have never
seen any evidence to support this.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 19/08/2017 09:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
I do know that static in plastic ducting for lightweight dust can be an
issue as it sticks to the sides.
Also I do hope you have good fire prevention, nothing like sawdust
for a
nice flash fire, except probably four.

The main issue with sawdust is when something hot enough to ignite it is
ingested into the collection system (like grinding sparks etc). There is
a myth that ignition can be caused by static build up, but I have never
seen any evidence to support this.

Agreed! My system must have about 25m of 110mm soil pipe and running for
about 9 years now and the only effect of static is that the outside of
the pipe attracts the fine dust in the air which looks messy but it
matches the relatively untidy shop too!
I also weld and grind in the shop from time to time but dont use the
extractor until I sweep up at the end of a job and all sparks are well
and truly cold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2017 12:41, Bob Minchin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 19/08/2017 09:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
I do know that static in plastic ducting for lightweight dust can be an
issue as it sticks to the sides.
Also I do hope you have good fire prevention, nothing like sawdust
for a
nice flash fire, except probably four.

The main issue with sawdust is when something hot enough to ignite it is
ingested into the collection system (like grinding sparks etc). There is
a myth that ignition can be caused by static build up, but I have never
seen any evidence to support this.

Agreed! My system must have about 25m of 110mm soil pipe and running for
about 9 years now and the only effect of static is that the outside of
the pipe attracts the fine dust in the air which looks messy but it
matches the relatively untidy shop too!

Better the fine dust is stuck to the pipe than in the air anyway - win
win ;-)

I also weld and grind in the shop from time to time but dont use the
extractor until I sweep up at the end of a job and all sparks are well
and truly cold.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2017 10:26, Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll have a look at the link later.

Incidentally I think you are ****ing into the wind try to do anything
useful with a kitchen extractor fan. My blower is 14" with 3hp motor.
Now that really sucks!

I didn't explain very clearly: I have a two bag 1HP Kity extractor and
plan building a small "sealed" area in the workshop to house it and then
to use a kitchen extractor to vent this "sealed" area to the outside.
The kitchen thing is only to get the fine dust that escapes the top bag
to the outside world. I did something similar at the last house and it
worked well. The difference now is that I'm thinking of running ducting
in the ceiling rather than hoses over the floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 18:54, wrote:

[...]

Thanks.
I realise now that I didn't tell the whole story - I use an old Dyson or
Combivac for the router, scroll saw, etc. and either a 3M 4251 mask or a
JSP powercap when I can be bothered (which isn't as often as it ought to
be). My chip collector is only 1HP so I'm concerned about whether it
will have enough umphh to cope with ducting - I've just used corrugated
4" flexi on the floor before but this is quite dangerous.

I'll follow-up on the cyclone links - knowing what you now know, do you
think it's worth the effort of building a cyclone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 18:54, wrote:

Some of the thoughts going around my head a is a cyclone worthwhile?
should I use plastic or metal ducting? will the Kity extractor have
enough suck to extract effectively if I put the ducting at ceiling level?
Any comments on the above? What have other people done for dust extraction?

I knocked up a Cyclone separator ... does 100% what it should do ......
Thought about spending Hrs making one out of wood or metal in the end I
bought one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/y97clkes
Fitted it to one on these
https://tinyurl.com/yc2bgfj4

and with some vertical supports used this to make it all mobile:
https://tinyurl.com/ydehmf6o

If you want details or a pic - happy to provide.

IU now use the house central vac - with no fear of a load of wood chips
or sawdust blocking the pipes.

It is great to see the chips spinning around the unit,and dropping into
container - very efficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Better the fine dust is stuck to the pipe than in the air anyway - win
win ;-)

Absolutely. There is a ceiling mounted air filter but I tend only to
switch it on an hour or so before doing any finishing on critical jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm just starting to set-up a workshop at the "new" house. The floor is
now concreted and painted so thoughts are starting to turn (in parallel
with the zillions of other projects that I keep discussing) to dust
extraction.

Its a big subject... and you have conflicting requirements to deal
with...

I realise now that I didn't tell the whole story - I use an old Dyson or
Combivac for the router, scroll saw, etc. and either a 3M 4251 mask or a
JSP powercap when I can be bothered (which isn't as often as it ought to
be). My chip collector is only 1HP so I'm concerned about whether it
will have enough umphh to cope with ducting - I've just used corrugated
4" flexi on the floor before but this is quite dangerous.

Yup I had the same problem - hence the length of soil pipe overhead to
mitigate. The soil pipe offers less air flow resistance that the flexi
pipe - so its better to do as much of the run in that as you can, and
just use the flexi for the final connections to the machines and extractor.

I'll follow-up on the cyclone links - knowing what you now know, do you
think it's worth the effort of building a cyclone?

I would say a powerful cyclone (with exhaust filtration) is the way to
go for the big machines - especially if you are venting the exhaust air
back into the shop. Whether you build or buy will depend no how cost
sensitive you are. There are a number of self built cyclones out there
on youtube that seem to function well.

Probably a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAtUVo-47g

also:

http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2017 20:09, Bob Minchin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Better the fine dust is stuck to the pipe than in the air anyway - win
win ;-)

Absolutely. There is a ceiling mounted air filter but I tend only to
switch it on an hour or so before doing any finishing on critical jobs.

I run mine most of the time I am working just to keep the airborne
levels down. (and in the winter it tends to blow some warm air down from
higher up in the shop to where I can feel it!)

--
Cheers,

John.