Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove smallish blood stains from a light grey carpet?

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2018 09:33:53 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

Do not apply any form of heat(*). Cold water, plenty of it, leave to
soak for a few minutes, clean cloth/kitchen roll, blot up the
water/softened coagulated blood, repeat with more clean cold water
and clean cloth kitchen roll, repeat...

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove. Keeping the red cells
in tact and rinsing away works, but once the blood has coagulated you
need to let the water soften the blood first.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback Wrote in message:
Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

Repeat until stain is so light it cannot be seen?

Vanish laundry stain spray ?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 09:33:53 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

Do not apply any form of heat(*). Cold water, plenty of it, leave to
soak for a few minutes, clean cloth/kitchen roll, blot up the
water/softened coagulated blood, repeat with more clean cold water
and clean cloth kitchen roll, repeat...

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove. Keeping the red cells
in tact and rinsing away works, but once the blood has coagulated you
need to let the water soften the blood first.

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2018 09:33, Broadback wrote:
Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

A product designed for removing pet urine odour/stains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2018 09:33, Broadback wrote:
Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

The material matters - wool, polyester, silk etc not all the same.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

I think hydrogen peroxide is good for removing blood. What itll do to your
carpets I have no idea. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-05-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 09:33:53 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

Do not apply any form of heat(*). Cold water, plenty of it, leave to
soak for a few minutes, clean cloth/kitchen roll, blot up the
water/softened coagulated blood, repeat with more clean cold water
and clean cloth kitchen roll, repeat...

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove. Keeping the red cells
in tact and rinsing away works, but once the blood has coagulated you
need to let the water soften the blood first.

Too late for that. The detergent in the Fairy Liquid will already have
ruptured the cells.

But without the heat explicitly mentioned?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2018 10:11, Jim K wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 09:33:53 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp
cloth impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the
stains. Any ideas please?

Do not apply any form of heat(*). Cold water, plenty of it, leave to
soak for a few minutes, clean cloth/kitchen roll, blot up the
water/softened coagulated blood, repeat with more clean cold water
and clean cloth kitchen roll, repeat...

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove. Keeping the red cells
in tact and rinsing away works, but once the blood has coagulated you
need to let the water soften the blood first.

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)

Don't ask him if he is good on relaying a patio ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are not supposed to hold boxing matches in your living room, think of
the damage to the ornaments!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Question as title please. My wife has attempted removal using a damp cloth
impregnated with Fairy Liquid, this had simply lightened the stains. Any
ideas please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2018 13:44:58 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and

release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a

effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove.

Too late for that. The detergent in the Fairy Liquid will already

have
ruptured the cells.

hum, the detergent or the salt?

But without the heat explicitly mentioned?

Hopefully most or all of the iron is still bound into the haemaglobin
even if the cells are ruptured. The heat causes the protien structure
to unfold/fall apart which allows the iron to escape.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2018 10:11:24 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)

Surely it's common knowledge that blood is best dealt with as soon as
possible with cold water only.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 10:11:24 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)

Surely it's common knowledge that blood is best dealt with as soon as
possible with cold water only.

You missed the ;-), :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Tue, 22 May 2018 13:44:58 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

(*) Heat will rupture the red cells/denature the protiens and

release
the iron held in the haemaglobin. You then end up with a

effectively
a rust stain which will be very hard to remove.

Too late for that. The detergent in the Fairy Liquid will already

have
ruptured the cells.

hum, the detergent or the salt?

But without the heat explicitly mentioned?

Hopefully most or all of the iron is still bound into the haemaglobin
even if the cells are ruptured. The heat causes the protien structure
to unfold/fall apart which allows the iron to escape.

We know this, hugely ignorant doesn't...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Jim K wrote

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)

Surely it's common knowledge that blood is best
dealt with as soon as possible with cold water only.

No need to do it as soon as possible. I wash clothes
in cold water and have never had any problem with
blood on the clothes and I bled like a stuck pig at
times when I was still on clopidogrel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 17:54:53 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote
Jim K wrote

Worrying level of expertise there.... ;-)

Surely it's common knowledge that blood is best
dealt with as soon as possible with cold water only.

No need to do it as soon as possible. I wash clothes
in cold water and have never had any problem with
blood on the clothes and I bled like a stuck pig at
times when I was still on clopidogrel.

I reckon some folk here would pay to see those pics.

NT