Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant 418 unnecesary purge cycle

Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan
runs for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call
for heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is set
to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come on at
16:30 in the afternoon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan
runs for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call
for heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is set
to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come on at
16:30 in the afternoon.

Probably runs on windows.
This is a Linux newsgroup!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2018 12:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan runs
for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call for
heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is set
to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come on at
16:30 in the afternoon.

It may well have an anti seize cycle to exercise things like the pump
and fan during periods of low use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/05/2018 12:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan runs
for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call for
heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is set
to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come on at
16:30 in the afternoon.

Does this occur just as you run a cold tap close to the boiler?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/05/2018 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 17/05/2018 12:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan
runs for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call
for heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is
set to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come
on at 16:30 in the afternoon.

Does this occur just as you run a cold tap close to the boiler?

Forget that, yours is not a combi.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW was thinking very hard :
Does this occur just as you run a cold tap close to the boiler?

Not that I have noticed, but there could be no link between the two
anyway - it is an open vented system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 17/05/2018 12:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Without actually getting as far as firing, my recently installed
Vaillant 418 seems to occasionally do a quick purge cycle - the fan runs
for a few seconds, then stops. The display shows there is no call for
heat. I have noticed it on two mornings. Now why would it do that?

Time clock is set to allow heating only to come on, but the stat is set
to 15C, much lower than the house actually is. HW is set to come on at
16:30 in the afternoon.

It may well have an anti seize cycle to exercise things like the pump
and fan during periods of low use.

My Keston does that every 24 hours of non-use, according to
the manual. In 16 years, I only heard it do it once, but you
need to be in the bathroom at the time, and not having a
shower or anything else noisy, in order to hear it.

I included the same feature in my heating controller for the
mid position valve (which controls upstairs and downstairs
heating zones, not hot water). If it's not operated in last
24 hours (which would normally be the case all summer), it
winds it to the end and back. (One thing I didn't check but
was intending to was that it actually got to the end and
operated the microswitch.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel presented the following explanation :
My Keston does that every 24 hours of non-use, according to
the manual. In 16 years, I only heard it do it once, but you
need to be in the bathroom at the time, and not having a
shower or anything else noisy, in order to hear it.

My boiler is in a kitchen cupboard, which makes it noticeable when it
is quiet in the kitchen. I noticed it this morning again, at 09:45. It
is set to allow CH, but the stat is set to 15C so it should not be
called in this warmer weather at all. The last time it was called to
provide any heat was yesterday, for HW - I had a bath, then Jean had a
bath in the afternoon and it was timed to come on heat HW at 16:20. So
probably there would be no call for the boiler to fire any later than
17:20 yesterday.

I have not read the manual thoroughly, there is a lot of it, but I
didn't spot any mention of it doing an occasional purge, so I have
emailed Vaillant to ask them about it.