Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Automatic welding lens/purge box thoughts

To all youse welder type,
I was welding a small, thin, steel part and the back side oxidised a
little due to the heat. On this part it didn't matter. But it looks
bad and is sloppy technique. While removing the oxidation it occured
to me that a purge box would have been the easiest way to weld this
part. Then I thought that an auto darkening lens might make the job
even easier. So my idea is to put in a large automatic lens in the box
and use a magnifier if needed for the small parts. That way I can also
use my regular glasses and not rely on the "cheaters" in my hood. Does
this sound like a good idea? Anybody done this?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Eric R Snow wrote:

To all youse welder type,
I was welding a small, thin, steel part and the back side oxidised a
little due to the heat. On this part it didn't matter. But it looks
bad and is sloppy technique. While removing the oxidation it occured
to me that a purge box would have been the easiest way to weld this
part. Then I thought that an auto darkening lens might make the job
even easier. So my idea is to put in a large automatic lens in the box
and use a magnifier if needed for the small parts. That way I can also
use my regular glasses and not rely on the "cheaters" in my hood. Does
this sound like a good idea? Anybody done this?
Thanks,
Eric

It sounds like overkill to me. I would think that Argon (you are talking
TIG right?) being heavier than air you could just place the parts inside
a container and give it some preflow to displace the air. A layer of
Argon should remain to protect the backside with the additional Argon
during the welding just causing the Argon to overflow the container
rather like dry ice fog would.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:51:34 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

A clean...clean oil change pan is said to work pretty well for this. A
decent diameter and deep enough to keep enough argon in.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

My aim is to make it easy to weld many of these parts. If inside a
purge box there would be worry about drafts etc. Plus, I wouldn't need
to wear a hood. And I don't like wearing one. The parts would all be
in the box when I start. So the parts would come off one pile and go
on the other. I guess my real question would be the lens part. With a
lens, and not a window, the field of view would be comparitively
small. And would this small field of view be much of a limiting
factor.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

Ok, a production application is a bit different.

I'd say the lens should work fine if you mount it in such a way that
it's positioned a comparable distance from your eyes and has a good
field of view in the enclosure. Think a headrest hood like those found
for viewing scope screens in daylight, or some vision test setups.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner" wrote: A clean...clean oil change pan is said to work pretty well
for this. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about throwing in a chunk of dry ice for good measure?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

HF sells a small sand blast cabinet that might work out for the box. When
your done welding just pick up the blast nozzle and spiff up your work.
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop
1805 Barton Ave Suite #9
West Bend, Wisconsin 53090
(262) 306-RIFL (7435)

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Gunner" wrote: A clean...clean oil change pan is said to work pretty

well
for this. (clip)
How about throwing in a chunk of dry ice for good measure?

Fixing welding set's built-in battery charger Christopher Tidy Metalworking 13 September 9th 05 11:56 AM
Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM