Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete posts

Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1287657-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 04:14:07 UTC+1, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

No. The rebar in the post is protected by the concrete over it. Without that it'll rust rapidly & destroy the post by breaking the concrete apart. Wrapping flat metal strip round the post could work.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2018 04:14, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete uprightÂ* post to add upright wooden posts to
support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

There is metal reinforcing bar in the middle of a concrete fence post.

There are some clamp on fixings that can be purchased to fit wooden
fence panels - I'll see if I can find a link sometime today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2018 09:38, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2018 04:14, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete uprightÂ* post to add upright wooden posts to
support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

There is metal reinforcing bar in the middle of a concrete fence post.

There are some clamp on fixings that can be purchased to fit wooden
fence panels - I'll see if I can find a link sometime today.

Something from the range...

http://www.postfixbrackets.co.uk/Vie...iew_range.html

I was thinking of the rt angle fence fitting when I first replied.

Just be aware that there are different size concrete posts and different
size brackets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2018 06:34, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 05:11:15 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 04:14:07 UTC+1, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

No. The rebar in the post is protected by the concrete over it. Without that it'll rust rapidly & destroy the post by breaking the concrete apart. Wrapping flat metal strip round the post could work.

NT

+1

Not "rapidly" IME. Actually the rebar is normally a bit like an
immersion heater element, i.e. a hairpin loop bent into a hairpin,
giving four wires a little way in from the corners. If you go into the
centre of the post, you normally miss the wires and leave sufficient
clearance for the concrete to remain protective. Even if you touch the
metal, if you use a normal plastic rawlplug type fixing this provides a
pretty effective seal once it has a screw inside it. Assuming your post
isn't actually being washed by seawater.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry formulated the question :
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 05:11:15 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 04:14:07 UTC+1, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to
support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

No. The rebar in the post is protected by the concrete over it. Without
that it'll rust rapidly & destroy the post by breaking the concrete apart.
Wrapping flat metal strip round the post could work.

NT

+1

You can actually drill the posts, providing you drill the hole clear of
the rebar. Usually that will mean drilling in the middle of the post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2018 03:14:05 GMT, Mr Robert J Beare
m wrote:

Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

Use a spur post such as :-

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Supreme-Concrete-Fencing-Repair-Spur---100-x-100-x-1200mm-SPR120/p/700248?googleApiClient=gme-travisperkinstrading&googleApiVersion=3.19&googleT agManagerTrackingId=GTM-KGT66B&siteName=Travis+Perkins

https://is.gd/vPy4wB

http://www.supremeconcrete.co.uk/general/repair-spur/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/18 04:14, Mr Robert J Beare wrote:
Can I drill into concrete uprightÂ* post to add upright wooden posts to
support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

http://www.postfixbrackets.co.uk/

might be a better solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends whether there are bars of steel inside. On one of my front posts the
concrete split on the top hole showing the rebar and a big chip missing.
That I suspect is why posts are formed with holes already!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Robert J Beare" m
wrote in message ...
Can I drill into concrete upright post to add upright wooden posts to
support
feathered fencing? What are the best fixings

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1287657-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :
Depends whether there are bars of steel inside. On one of my front posts the
concrete split on the top hole showing the rebar and a big chip missing.
That I suspect is why posts are formed with holes already!

All such posts have to have steel reinforcing in them, the would be
very weak and fragile without, even the two foot tall versions once
favoured by councils around council properties for wire fencing. The
usual steel is around 5 to 6mm smooth sided. A metal detector will
easily find it.