Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why have an NRV with a secondary hot water circulation pump?

My secondary hot water circulation is quite noisy and I suspect the NRV
might be rattling - leads me to wonder why there needs to be an NRV in
the return line, before the pump ...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 May 2018 22:59:37 UTC+1, wrote:
My secondary hot water circulation is quite noisy and I suspect the NRV
might be rattling - leads me to wonder why there needs to be an NRV in
the return line, before the pump ...?

Otherwise when a diferent pump runs, water will bkacflow through the DHW circuit. Which is actually not an issue, but the CH circuits do need an NRV otherwise DHW heating would heat the rads in summer at reduced flow.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 10:36:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On 15/05/2018 04:20, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 22:59:37 UTC+1, wrote:

My secondary hot water circulation is quite noisy and I suspect the NRV
might be rattling - leads me to wonder why there needs to be an NRV in
the return line, before the pump ...?

Otherwise when a diferent pump runs, water will bkacflow through the DHW circuit. Which is actually not an issue, but the CH circuits do need an NRV otherwise DHW heating would heat the rads in summer at reduced flow.

NT

I think we're at crossed purposes. I'm talking about a *secondary* (i.e.
hot water to the taps) circulation pump that returns the water from the
furthest tap to a tapping about a quarter of the way down the cylinder.

Ah. I can't think of any point to an NRV there. Unless someone thought gravity circulation might happen, which would result in pipe water being below legionella safe temp for hours every day.

NT