Senior Member

Question Shower waste, traps and NRV's

A few questions:

1. When fitting a chrome shower waste grid with a back nut and two rubber seals, would you use silicone to provide an additional seal to the tray when clamped?

2. Am tiling the floor of my new bathroom, so any access to the trap after the shower tray is installed, will be nigh on impossible. What is the best trap to fit in a situation where I can really never get back to it in a hurry? Anti-vac bottle trap or regular 75mm P trap?

3. Due to the arrangement and levels of the pipes, the shower waste will being connecting in to a horizontal soil pipe on the side. Should I be overly concerned with a possible blockage in the stack and back-flow up the shower waste? Would hate to see parts of Mr Hankey popping up in the shower tray. Is it wise to fit a McAlpine non-return valve? How reliable are these with hair and gunk from a shower?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower waste, traps and NRV's

On Apr 10, 12:34 am, Cordless Crazy Cordless.Crazy.
wrote:
A few questions:

1. When fitting a chrome shower waste grid with a back nut and two
rubber seals, would you use silicone to provide an additional seal to
the tray when clamped?

2. Am tiling the floor of my new bathroom, so any access to the trap
after the shower tray is installed, will be nigh on impossible. What is
the best trap to fit in a situation where I can really never get back to
it in a hurry? Anti-vac bottle trap or regular 75mm P trap?

Hepvo -so no seal to be vacced by bog flush

3. Due to the arrangement and levels of the pipes, the shower waste will
being connecting in to a horizontal soil pipe on the side.

inside or outside the building? connection best vertically into pipe,
sideways adds possibility of bits of Richards etc loitering in the end
of your shower waste pipework....

Should I be
overly concerned with a possible blockage in the stack and back-flow up
the shower waste?

**** happens ;) how many times is it likely is the question...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cordless Crazy wrote:
[...]

When I did a complete bathroom makeover three years ago, I replaced the
airing cupboard with a shower cubicle and connected the drain from the
shower into the same pipe that the sink and bath drain into prior to
reaching the soil stack.

Of course I should have foreseen that when the bath was emptying the water
would back up and start to fill the shower tray! Fortunately for me I had
had no choice but to fit a raised shower tray and so I was able to remove
the trim below the tray and get in to fit a horizontal hepvo valve just
after the normal shallow shower trap. It has worked fine since fitted and
has not clogged up or required cleaning.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't need any sealant. Silicone sealants adversely react with
some plastic shower trays.
There are special traps availabe for shower trays. Shower drains
don't block up much. If they do, one of the pump type things usually
clears it easily.
No drain should be horizontal, you are asking for trouble.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I suppose it all depends upon what you mean by 'horizontal'! A perfectly
horizontal pipe will not drain that well - but the drain from my shower
(which is in the opposite corner of my bathroom to the soil stack) has only
the slightest 'fall' on it - but it drains without problem.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

+1 with Kev. But I would be wary about saying that shower traps don't
block - it does obviously depend on which type; I have one that is
accessed from the drainage grill and it does tend to collect long
hairs building up and being the hosts for slime films.
Rob
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K[_3_] View Post
wrote:
[...]

Connection will be internal. Will be installing using a strap on boss incoming at an angle of approximately 10 o'clock. Any 'Richards' caught should be washed away with the shower flow.

Any views on the effectivness, lifespan or troubles with using a McAlpine non-return valve?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 8:58 pm, Cordless Crazy Cordless.Crazy.
wrote:
'Jim K[_3_ Wrote:

;2625821']On Apr 10, 12:34 am, Cordless Crazy Cordless.Crazy.

-

[...]

the HepVo will function as a non-return - whether it (or another
valve) will keep clean enough to do that "absolutely" I don't know but
i reckon a Hep will keep "chunky bits" out even if a little liquid
gets by -
just stick one or other in and go for it or change pipework somehow so
you can get to it if it lets you down on the "big days"

anyhow what's the worst case scenario? and how often has it happened
to you (ever)? (IME complete blockages are rare)

e.g. you flush the ****ter and richards/etc appear in the shower
tray? until you fix the problem and wash it all down with bleach? even
if your shower valve thing worked perfectly you'd still be needing to
sort the bog out and both will be out of action til you do... so all
you are trying to save is an extra cleaning of the shower with bleach
etc?? or am I missing something??

Jim K

Bath waste traps jaz UK diy 1 June 30th 10 02:52 PM
Shower traps Sandy Morton UK diy 0 May 5th 08 07:16 PM
Bath traps and waste David Hansen UK diy 0 May 14th 07 09:50 AM
Bath traps and waste Dave Liquorice UK diy 0 May 12th 07 10:48 AM
shower waste leak Jc UK diy 4 April 9th 06 08:08 PM