Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13 amp plug power meter - any recommendations?

I'm finally getting around to thinking about replacing a plasma TV (not
full HD, only SD tuner) if it is too power hungry.

To do that I need to estimate the power drain over 24 hours (or even a
week) and guestimate how much it is costing per year in electricity. A
cost of around £100 per year (say) would be a strong case for a modern LCD
screen. However as the whole house bill is around £1,000 a year this may
be unlikely.

Amazon seems to have some meters around the £10-£20 mark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Energ...lectricity/dp/
B00E4H0L40

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-429-856UK-Power-Meter/dp/B003ELLGDC

so will these be reasonably accurate?

Any recommendations?

I can reuse to measure various other pieces of kit, mainly computers.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/18 12:54, David wrote:
[...]

trouble wih almost all 'power meters' is that they dont measure RMS
power, they tend to measure VA or some approximation to RMS that falls
down badly when faced with a switched mode power supply

Unless you know how they are measuring the power, be careful.

Dave R

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

news
trouble wih almost all 'power meters' is that they dont measure RMS power,
they tend to measure VA or some approximation to RMS that falls down badly
when faced with a switched mode power supply

Unless you know how they are measuring the power, be careful.

The one I have (somewhere!) can be switched between power in W and power in
VA, and gives the same result for a lightbulb (being resistive) but
different results for anything with a switched mode power supply. That was a
bog-standard meter from Maplin (RIP). It also had a setting that calculated
total energy used (ie power integrated over time) in kWhr.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I'm finally getting around to thinking about replacing a plasma TV (not
full HD, only SD tuner) if it is too power hungry.

To do that I need to estimate the power drain over 24 hours (or even a
week) and guestimate how much it is costing per year in electricity. A
cost of around £100 per year (say) would be a strong case for a modern LCD
screen. However as the whole house bill is around £1,000 a year this may
be unlikely.

Amazon seems to have some meters around the £10-£20 mark.

Every appliance like this has the power consumption marked on it somewhere
visible.

If you Google, the average power consumption for a plasma is 140 watts.
Average for a modern LCD 90 watts. Both will depend on screen size.

Unless you're TV is on 24/7, I doubt you'll notice the difference in
running costs.

Also, a modern smart TV which is online all the time - even in standby -
may actually use more electricity in standby than an older set.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 12:58:10 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/04/18 12:54, David wrote:
[...]

Does that realy matter that much unless you want better than 5% accuracy and even them you might not know how they measure your power usage does your energy supplier use RMS or average how much to they account for the phase shift caused by SMPS in computers and TVs and most devices now.
I'm not sure whether or not it matters whether it's RMS or average at this scale.

I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK for such things and pretty much given me the info I needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 12:54, David wrote:
I'm finally getting around to thinking about replacing a plasma TV (not
full HD, only SD tuner) if it is too power hungry.

To do that I need to estimate the power drain over 24 hours (or even a
week) and guestimate how much it is costing per year in electricity. A
cost of around £100 per year (say) would be a strong case for a modern LCD
screen. However as the whole house bill is around £1,000 a year this may
be unlikely.

You may be able to just look up the manual online and see what it says
are the standby (hibernate) and active power consumptions.

If it is an older model then it may well default to powering the digital
tuner continuously so it is worth probing the menus carefully and
disabling that feature. My LCD TV went down from 20W to 1W.

Amazon seems to have some meters around the £10-£20 mark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Energ...lectricity/dp/
B00E4H0L40

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-429-856UK-Power-Meter/dp/B003ELLGDC

so will these be reasonably accurate?

Good enough to show you one or two significant figures. They are a bit
flaky on low power devices and switch mode PSUs but better than nothing.

Even so you will find some devices that consume unreasonable amounts of
power when they are supposed to be "off". My PC sound system consumes as
much when switched off as it does when on. The on/off switch merely
disconnects the inputs to the power amplifier and the on LED!

Offending items are now powered from smart sockets that switch
everything off when the PC is either in standby or off.

Worth taking a quick look in Maplin to see if they have any at 30% off.

Any recommendations?

I can reuse to measure various other pieces of kit, mainly computers.

It is probably worthwhile having a whole house monitor with realtime
display if you want to shave ~10% off your electricity bill. Reducing
your 24/7 base load to under 100W will help save money.

I have the Owl (other brands available some free from your electricity
company if you chose the right supplier and tariff).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CM160-Elect...dp/B004BDNR84/

If the TV is really bad it will easily show up on that when you switch
if on. Resolution is to nearest W but accuracy is more like +/- 10W or
5% (whichever is larger). I installed one in the Village Hall to stop
people from leaving heaters on when they leave.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK
for such things and pretty much given me the info I needed.

I have a Maplin one, I don't think it claims to measure true RMS, but it
does allow toggling between W and VA, it's measuring my PC's consumption
now at 35W and 58VA.

n.b. that isn't on direct mains, it's between the PC and a UPS which is
running in buck mode at the moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine
waves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 14:13:56 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK
for such things and pretty much given me the info I needed.

I have a Maplin one, I don't think it claims to measure true RMS, but it
does allow toggling between W and VA, it's measuring my PC's consumption
now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

As I tried to imply the accuracy isnt that important and I assume whether yuo measure true RMS, RMS, average, peak, or pk-pk a TV that measures 50W or 50VA will cost you less to run than a TV measuring 80W or 80VA.

n.b. that isn't on direct mains, it's between the PC and a UPS which is
running in buck mode at the moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine
waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment and variables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 14:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

It is about what mine is. Router, alarm, emergency lights, cooker and a
host of gadgets in standby/sleep mode. I could get lower if I found a
router that would go to sleep when there was no internet/wifi traffic.

It is worth poking around to see what else is drawing power.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the
moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment and variables.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then
reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they used to be wrong on old telies that only rectified on one mains
half cycle of course too.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
On 26/04/18 12:54, David wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

It is about what mine is. Router, alarm, emergency lights, cooker and a
host of gadgets in standby/sleep mode. I could get lower if I found a
router that would go to sleep when there was no internet/wifi traffic.

It is worth poking around to see what else is drawing power.

I'd say check anything with an older none SMPS plugin PSU

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 15:07:12 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the
moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment and variables.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then
reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the moment.

OK I'm guess I'm lucky I have a Mac which can be swithced off and rebooted in under 2 mins. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

... be bloody difficult

It is worth poking around to see what else is drawing power.

UPS (probably the largest constant draw, it's warm)
fridge-freezer (periodic rather than 24x7)
toothbrush and clippers charging in bathroom cabinet
oven and microwave flashing "12:00"
router/firewall/access point
DECT basestation + 2 phones in charging cradles
alarm
3xPIRs for outdoor lights
loft amplifier
2x TVs on standby
HTPC on standby
3x USB chargers on standby
DAB radio (non-SMPSU hot even when on standby)
power tool charger
C/H programmer
UFH programmer
3x non-maintained emergency lights
tablet and powered bluetooth speakers used as internet radio

If I leave a PC or laptop running overnight, can't get below 150W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

OK I'm guess I'm lucky I have a Mac which can be swithced off and
rebooted in under 2 mins. ;-)

I didn't realise Macs carried on working even when switched off, now I
can see why people pay extra for them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the
moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment
and variables.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then
reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the moment.

Since you presumably always use it in combination with the UPS why not
unplug the UPS from mains interpose device and measure the PC+UPS.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I'd say check anything with an older none SMPS plugin PSU

AFAIK, that's just the DAB radio which is 2A@9V and runs at about 45°C
day and night (11W on, 9W standby)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 15:26:45 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

OK I'm guess I'm lucky I have a Mac which can be swithced off and
rebooted in under 2 mins. ;-)

I didn't realise Macs carried on working even when switched off,

They don't but then again I don't run anything in the home from my Mac or Mac mini, or at work.

can see why people pay extra for them ...

That's true people do but perhaps that's not the reason, when I came in to work 2 weeks ago there had been a power failure must have been a glithic as my Mac was still up and running most PCs had all rebooted, the server running the print station stopped working and on reboot I had to phone IT to get them to re-inialise the server. None of the studetns could enter the building as the card access system had also failed, this is a know problem in that if it goes off and even though it comes back on again it looses permissions, but everything was back up and running OK within the hour.

On other occasions I've been here in front of my mac and the lights dipped , I heard a number of studetns complain that they lost work and the PC went off, but my mac stayed on, of course this is NO reason to spend more on a Mac but it;s nice to know a small glitch won't wipe out what you're doing as it could be something important like a game. ;-D

1 month ago we had a planned shutdown it was only then I found out that we have 219 servers in the department so I now understand why quite regularly a server or two needs taking out of service to replace or upgrade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I came in to work 2 weeks ago there had been a power failure must
have been a glithic as my Mac was still up and running most PCs had
all rebooted

The UPS here earns its keep ...

20 minute outage plus 10 minute outage two days ago
Two outages of a few seconds this February
Two outages of a few seconds last December
15 minute outage last September
One outage of a few seconds last July
One outage of a few seconds last May
One outage of a few seconds last April
One outage of a few seconds last March
Log doesn't go back earlier than last February
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

The win10 laptop PC I have on 24x7 monitoring my aquarium and stuff uses
about £10 per year, less if it remembers to turn the screen off.

The Rpi running the remote USB sensors is probably using as much. Maybe
I should move the laptop and avoid the USB over wireless? All the
software runs on win10 as well as the Rpi. It doesn't all run on the Rpi
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the
moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment and variables.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then
reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the moment.

OK I'm guess I'm lucky I have a Mac which can be swithced off and rebooted in under 2 mins. ;-)

Must be old to be that slow.
Have you thought about getting a new one that does it in 30 seconds?
Look at how much time it would save in a year, maybe ten minutes if you
reboot as often as my laptop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:18:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 16:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:18:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

Are you bitcoin mining or something?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 16:31:48 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I came in to work 2 weeks ago there had been a power failure must
have been a glithic as my Mac was still up and running most PCs had
all rebooted

The UPS here earns its keep ...

The UPS, I'm not sure what six we'd need on the lab for 40-50 PCs, all I know is we aren't getting one most liklly due to cost.

The 219 servers are mostly protected by UPSs last year we had a major problem as the local electricity board cut throguh a cable the UPS switched in and there was a fire in the server room.
Another incident was when there was a flood in a server room.

20 minute outage plus 10 minute outage two days ago
Two outages of a few seconds this February
Two outages of a few seconds last December
15 minute outage last September
One outage of a few seconds last July
One outage of a few seconds last May
One outage of a few seconds last April
One outage of a few seconds last March
Log doesn't go back earlier than last February

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have
the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

The win10 laptop PC I have on 24x7 monitoring my aquarium and stuff uses
about £10 per year, less if it remembers to turn the screen off.

What and why does it monitor an aquarium ? I used to have 3 aquariums even the shops don't use laptops for such a thing, and laptops don't seem the best option either. This sort of thing would be ideal for a pi or arduino project we ran a greenhouse equivalent a few years ago for student projects.

The Rpi running the remote USB sensors is probably using as much. Maybe
I should move the laptop and avoid the USB over wireless? All the
software runs on win10 as well as the Rpi. It doesn't all run on the Rpi
though.

what sort of software is required to run or monitor an aquarium ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 16:31, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I came in to work 2 weeks ago there had been a power failure must
have been a glithic as my Mac was still up and running most PCs had
all rebooted

The UPS here earns its keep ...

20 minute outage plus 10 minute outage two days ago
Two outages of a few seconds this February
Two outages of a few seconds last December
15 minute outage last September
One outage of a few seconds last July
One outage of a few seconds last May
One outage of a few seconds last April
One outage of a few seconds last March
Log doesn't go back earlier than last February

That is surprisingly unreliable are you on old copper overhead wires or
something? I live in a rural setting and we only really lose power these
days when a tree falls through the line and sometimes not even then. It
is usually in the stormiest of weather than power goes down here.

Last serious time was when the bulk milk tanker mated with a power pole
on a frosty morning and gouged out 10m of expensive holly hedge.

We get the odd scheduled power cut for tree maintenance in summer too.

I might miss the odd few seconds power gap here and there.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 15:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Chances are just a couple of those are responsible for much of it. Older
TVs seem particularly bad about standby. Modern stuff is mostly 1W.

I bet the DAB radio is a power wasting hog on or off.

If I leave a PC or laptop running overnight, can't get below 150W

A PC running and all bets are off. Mine is quite frugal when idle.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 16:50, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2018 16:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:18:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight is
140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to 120 when
I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

Are you bitcoin mining or something?

Probably similar to me..

three NAS boxes
router
TV recorder
trickle fan in bathroom
several chargers
alarm
fridge
freezer
PIRs
lamp on drive
CCTV recorder and cameras
Aquarium
an echo or two

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to
have the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?
Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so
7p at that price.

The win10 laptop PC I have on 24x7 monitoring my aquarium and stuff
uses about £10 per year, less if it remembers to turn the screen
off.

What and why does it monitor an aquarium ? I used to have 3 aquariums
even the shops don't use laptops for such a thing, and laptops don't
seem the best option either. This sort of thing would be ideal for a
pi or arduino project we ran a greenhouse equivalent a few years ago
for student projects.

Sensors that measure light, temp, NO3, Ph, etc.

The Rpi running the remote USB sensors is probably using as much.
Maybe I should move the laptop and avoid the USB over wireless? All
the software runs on win10 as well as the Rpi. It doesn't all run
on the Rpi though.

what sort of software is required to run or monitor an aquarium ?

Stuff thats written to use the sensors, it runs on windows and uploads
to a web site and sends SMS messages if something goes wrong.

If you have a few hundred quids worth of fish you might want to know
when things are going wrong well before they die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

That is surprisingly unreliable are you on old copper overhead wires or
something?

No, underground wired to and from the substation (150m up the road) not
sure how far away the nearest overhead section is.

The brief ones that I notice are generally distant lightning triggered,
no idea about the long one from two days ago ... thinking about it there
were three WPD landrovers parked a mile or so away when I went out after
the first cut, and when I got back there'd been the second one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Chances are just a couple of those are responsible for much of it.

My money's on the UPS (cold-war standard APC SU2200) but with nearly one
power interruption a month, it's not really a luxury now that I mainly
work from home.

Older TVs seem particularly bad about standby.

No they're fine, I do wish the bedroom one didn't "whistle" when it's in
standby though, or that my bat-hearing wasn't so acute.

I bet the DAB radio is a power wasting hog on or off.

Correct, the power brick is 4W by itself, and the radio as a whole is 9W
when off, and 11W when on quiet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 17:18:50 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/04/2018 16:50, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2018 16:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:18:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight
is 140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to
120 when I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

Are you bitcoin mining or something?

Probably similar to me..

three NAS boxes router TV recorder trickle fan in bathroom several
chargers alarm fridge freezer PIRs lamp on drive CCTV recorder and
cameras Aquarium an echo or two

I have about 400W on PCs alone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:50:01 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

Are you bitcoin mining or something?

400 W might just keep one GPU card mining. B-)

Lets see:
UPS, HP Micro Server, 16 Port unmanaged Giga bit switch, 8 port
managed PoE Gigabit switch, Load balancing router, ADSL modem,
VOIP/POTS/DECT base, 3 handset chargers, 2 AP's, weather station,
blitzortung (PoE), webcam (PoE), CH/HW system (Two programmers, two
Wireless Stat Rx, solar controller, stove controller (two, Raspberry
Pi Zero based one in development), half a dozen mains interlinked
smokes(*), two emergency lights(*), dozen or more wall warts plugged
in powered up but attached kit off or standby (mostly SMPSU's),
couple of lights, freezer, fridge/freezer, aquarium, TV and BD in
standby, microwave with flashing colon, E7 immersion controller, Pi
running XMBC (screws up the CEC if you turn it off),

(*) I suspect the smokes and emergency lights account for the bext
part of 100 W of that 400 Wminimum base load.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:13:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:

I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK
for such things and pretty much given me the info I needed.

I have a Maplin one, I don't think it claims to measure true RMS, but it
does allow toggling between W and VA, it's measuring my PC's consumption
now at 35W and 58VA.

n.b. that isn't on direct mains, it's between the PC and a UPS which is
running in buck mode at the moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine
waves.

That's enough ******** between Martin Brown's claim that recent plug in
energy monitors are inaccurate on small sub 10W loads and only read to
the nearest watt +/- 10W (true of the very first sub ten quid Machinemart/
Netto/Aldi units from over a decade ago), and this business you've just
mentioned of a line interactive UPS somehow magically distorting the
mains voltage waveform just by selecting a lower voltage tap on its mains
transformer to restore the mains voltage back to 240v[1], so I'd like to
dispel these myths.

As mentioned, it's been a good decade since useless plug in energy
monitors were last miss-sold to the general public. Any current plug in
energy monitors sold during the past 6 or 7 years (maybe longer) have
proven to be remarkably accurate to within +/-3% of VA and Wattage
readings (and, therefore of necessity, to within +/-1.5% of voltage and
current readings).

They all display readings to a tenth of a watt resolution (although one
model I have only does this for readings above 1W) and display to a
maximum of 3120W or so (I noticed a 5 quid model on Amazon claiming it
would only read to a maximum of 2998W before cutting out).

These "Plug in Energy Monitors"(aka fancy digital watt meters) have
improved beyond all recognition since such devices first appeared some 15
years back. IOW, they're quite a useful measuring tool to have for
checking the consumption of IT kit such as modem/routers, ethernet
switches and PCs (as well as the standby power of TV sets and USB
chargers).

As for your assumption, Andy, regarding the power feed to your PC not
being the "sineyist of sine waves", well you're right (up to a point) but
not on account of the line interactive UPS bucking the voltage with its
transformer. The lack of sine wave purity originates with the mains
supply itself which can best be described as a sine wave that's had its
peaks neatly sliced off with the flat tops showing a slight down slope on
the positive peaks and vice-versa for the negative peaks.

If you can observe the mains waveform on a proper oscilloscope (or audio
captured using an audio recording app that will let you zoom in on the
recorded waveform (CoolEdit Pro or Audacity) from the output of a 5 to
15vac output wallwart transformer attenuated with a resistor network down
to half a volt rms or less to avoid overloading the line input of your
sound card), you will be able to observe this for yourself.

If you remove the mains input from the UPS whilst observing/recording
the waveform on the protected side as I've just described, you will
either see a horribly shaped squareish wave or else see a perfect sine
wave replace the slightly distorted mains voltage waveform, depending on
the quality of your UPS.

If for example, you have an APC SmartUPS, expect the quality of the
"mains waveform" to improve (I believe all APC models of "SmartUPS"
provide sine wave outputs). :-)

[1] Or 230v if you believe that our UK mains supply has actually been
adjusted to conform to the notional 230v rating of electrical goods sold/
manufactured throughout the whole of the EC rather than left exactly as
it always has been except for the change in the voltage tolerances
mandated by new regulations catering for the notional 230v ratings of new
appliances.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 15:07:08 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have the
PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at
that price.

between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the moment,
so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment
and variables.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then
reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the
moment.

If you're using an APC SmartUPS700, you can measure the input power and
calculate the PC consumption by subtracting the 20W maintainence
consumption after allowing the battery pack to recover from the shock of
the interruption. Half an hour or so should suffice (or else disconnect
the battery pack whilst you take a wattage reading). You can hot swap the
battery pack in this model - there's no difference between a fully
charged battery and a disconnected battery in the maintainence
consumption readings to within *less* than a tenth of a watt.

35W is a remarkably low power consumption for a desktop even allowing
that the monitor may be in standby screensaver mode. My desktop idles at
around 86W with the monitor taking another 30W or so and the speakers a
further 4W. I tend to leave the PC on permanently. My only concession to
energy saving being that I switch the monitor off before I go to bed. :-)

I got a chance to measure "The Office" energy consumption last Sunday
when I was testing a 1KVA Parkside inverter genset with the SmartUPS2000
currently (at long last, once more) serving the "Protected Mains Sockets"
that feed said desktop, a NAS box, GBe switch and an old Linksys router
acting as a WAP. With the monitor switched off, the consumption settled
down to about 206W after the batteries had recovered from the brief
outage incurred by the change-over to genset power.

Around about 28W of this being the maintainence consumption of the 2KVA
rated UPS when fed by the 233vac genset output (it goes up to 32/33W when
on the normal 240 to 245v mains supply). Not covered by the main UPS is
the 10W or so consumption of the VM SH2 that resides in the basement, so
all in all, a total minimum overnight consumption in the region of 220W
for the IT kit alone.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

As for your assumption, Andy, regarding the power feed to your PC not
being the "sineyist of sine waves", well you're right (up to a point)

The main reason I mentioned that the kill-a-watt was monitoring between
UPS and PC was that I was quite surprised the power factor was under 60
and thought someone might query it being that low. The PC has a 550W
PSU and was more or less idling at the time, maybe not ideal for
efficiency or power factor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

35W is a remarkably low power consumption for a desktop

It idles quiet well for a 3.6GHz 8xhyperthread xeon with 32GB and a
lowish rx550 GPU, the DVB-S2 tuners drag a bit of power for the LNBs
when they're in use, has its own PCIe power connector like a GPU.

That's with only the SSD in use, it has 9 SATA hard drives that I
selectively dismount and spin-down (especially at night I dislike the
noise).

I've never seen the PSU supply more than half its 550W, maybe at boot
time with all drives spinning up.

even allowing
that the monitor may be in standby screensaver mode.

The KVM was switched away from the tower PC to the laptop, the dock for
that and the monitor do run off the UPS, but were not supplied through
the kill-a-watt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 21:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 17:18:50 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/04/2018 16:50, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2018 16:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:18:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Reducing your 24/7 base load to under 100W will [...]

.... be bloody difficult, the lowest I generally see mine overnight
is 140W as measured by the smart meter itself, it probably dips to
120 when I'm actually in bed and all lights are off.

Ditto, night time base load minimum is nearer 400 W here.

Are you bitcoin mining or something?

Probably similar to me..

three NAS boxes router TV recorder trickle fan in bathroom several
chargers alarm fridge freezer PIRs lamp on drive CCTV recorder and
cameras Aquarium an echo or two

I have about 400W on PCs alone!

So you are mining?

I don't have any PCs that take much more than 10W while doing stuff at
night.
Even the i7 one doesn't use that much.
They are all laptops though.

The CCTV system is probably the most power hungry as it has a few HD
cameras with quite powerful IR lighting and I am not convinced the
lights turn off in daylight. They are run off a couple of PoE hubs too.