Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dismantling thermostatic mixer cartridge

The temperature control of our bar mixer tap/shower became very stiff (almost unturnable) so I removed it today and free it up with a pipe wrench. Whilst it's a lot better I really want to find out exactly what caused it to seize and perhaps prevent it happening again.

The problem is, I can't seem to dismantle the cartridge any further. The cartridge is as shown he

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent...cartridge1.jpg

The circlip was removed from the position it is sitting below, and this has allowed the centra shaft to be pushed in for ~5mm. With a normal tap cartridge it would of course be possible to push it all the through but in this case I think it is what I assume to be the thermostatic element at the other end preventing this:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent...cartridge2.jpg

With pliers I can rotate the red plastic ring ~180 degrees but it doesn't appear to be unscrewing. Before I break anything (the cartridge is working now, at least for the time being) does anyone know how to remove this ring/end, assuming that's what I need to do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

Whilst it's a lot better I really want to find out exactly what caused it

Soak it in de-scaler for a bit, see if that frees it up more?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Whilst it's a lot better I really want to find out exactly what caused it

Soak it in de-scaler for a bit, see if that frees it up more?

Be careful about soaking anything in de-scaler if it contains plastic
bits. De-scaler can melt some plastics with time.

--
*WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 April 2018 14:03:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be careful about soaking anything in de-scaler if it contains plastic
bits. De-scaler can melt some plastics with time.

Might white vinegar be better? Not quite as fast on the scale, but gentler on the plastics perhaps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:
Be careful about soaking anything in de-scaler if it contains plastic
bits. De-scaler can melt some plastics with time.

Might white vinegar be better? Not quite as fast on the scale, but
gentler on the plastics perhaps?

I'd love to know. The old Rover has a screen washer jet which produces a
fine fan like spray. Works beautifully when clean, but the factory
obviously hadn't heard of hard water. It just unclips easily so I have a
spare which I clean with de-scaler. But left it in that for a couple of
days and it melted. The body is PVC or similar.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 12:21, Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

Some cartridges have left hand threads (my mira 915 does) so you have to
know which way to screw it.