Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dismantling a shower mixer

My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers

http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p

It has started to leak constantly into the shower head and I have the
job of fixing it.

I suspect it is only one of the O rings leaking, so a few pence to fix
it.

The HR website helpfully supplies fitting instructions but no
breakdown views of the mixer.

Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:

My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers
http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p
Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

I tried to repair one and ruined it in the process.
Limescale had got into every nook and cranny, seizing up the
screws/bolts.
One of these was brass, and sheared off when I tried to get it off.
Work of the Devil I reckon.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 7:04*pm, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers

http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p

It has started to leak constantly into the shower head and I have the
job of fixing it.

I suspect it is only one of the O rings leaking, so a few pence to fix
it.

The HR website helpfully supplies fitting instructions but no
breakdown views of the mixer.

Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

Thanks

How old is it? HR were very helpful when I had to contact them about
some taps, and they have something like a 10 year warranty, so a call
to them might be a first step.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
chudford wrote:

My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers
http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p
Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

I tried to repair one and ruined it in the process.
Limescale had got into every nook and cranny, seizing up the
screws/bolts.
One of these was brass, and sheared off when I tried to get it off.
Work of the Devil I reckon.

Alan.

I wonder (with the benefit of hindsight) if leaving it to soak for a few
days in a weak acid (e.g. vinegar) would have helped. Of course, when
you are fixing a shower you generally want to get it done smartly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 18, 7:04 am, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers

http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p

It has started to leak constantly into the shower head and I have the
job of fixing it.

I suspect it is only one of the O rings leaking, so a few pence to fix
it.

The HR website helpfully supplies fitting instructions but no
breakdown views of the mixer.

Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

I don't know about that brand, but I finally managed to fix a mixer
that had been dripping for years. There were two tiny O rings hidden
inside the hole that the main shaft goes through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
chudford wrote:

My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers
http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p
Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

I tried to repair one and ruined it in the process.
Limescale had got into every nook and cranny, seizing up the
screws/bolts.
One of these was brass, and sheared off when I tried to get it off.
Work of the Devil I reckon.

Alan.

I wonder (with the benefit of hindsight) if leaving it to soak for a few
days in a weak acid (e.g. vinegar) would have helped. Of course, when
you are fixing a shower you generally want to get it done smartly.

Thats exactly what I did to dismantle a Mira mixer.Soaked in in
descaler. Fortunately it was gold plated. Chrome doesn't lik bog dscaler..

Drifting off topic, Those people who think softeners aren't worth it
because soap isn't that expensive, should consider the damage done to
taps and shower mixers by scale buildup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 7:04*pm, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has one of these expensive Hudson Reed shower mixers

http://tinyurl.com/d2dg5p

It has started to leak constantly into the shower head and I have the
job of fixing it.

I suspect it is only one of the O rings leaking, so a few pence to fix
it.

The HR website helpfully supplies fitting instructions but no
breakdown views of the mixer.

Has anyone in the group ever dismantled one of these and is it
possible to replace the O rings or does it contain a sealed unit?

Thanks

The helpful man from Hudson Reed has just sent me a breakdown view of
the mixer together with which O rings to change for which faults.
Looks straight forward, just have to keep my fingers crossed that I
don't knacker it when I dismantle it.

Tap/ Shower Mixer - Stuck on shower SteveC UK diy 4 October 8th 06 10:43 PM
dismantling Meynell Virtuoso bath/shower mixer NoSpam UK diy 0 August 29th 06 09:31 PM
Mixer Shower hkt7383 UK diy 3 July 5th 06 02:12 PM
Mixer Shower PEV Murdo MacKenzie UK diy 2 May 14th 04 11:44 PM
Shower Mixer Aiden UK diy 4 September 20th 03 09:35 PM