Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom wiring 1 last bit

Hi all

I am now at the final stage of sorting my bathroom out. A number of you helped me with my wiring questions thanks - https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/Bathroom$20wiring/uk.d-i-y/jpmoXo198GI

I have a switched fused (13a) spur in a cupboard in the bathroom which feeds a spa bath. At the end of this feed is a IP5x junction box under the bath feeding the motors. I am now looking to fit some 12v LED strip lights by the bath so need to feed the transformer off this feed.

So.. a couple of questions
1. Assume I will need to fit another fused (3a) spur for the led lights? If so, will a standard one under the bath be ok or do I need to fit a waterproof one? Assume the bath panel needs a tool to remove it.
2. The bath surround itself has the front removable. It is tightly in place with some short nails holding it to the frame. It is possible to remove with your hands but not easy. Would this be ok as needing a tool (thinking here is that you are not going to be removing it whilst wet and come out of the bath not like it is a door or simple latch to remove). I don't want to screw it in as not easy to do it without spoiling the look. If not, if I masticed the join between front and sides then it will need a knife to remove it and will this be ok?

Thanks as always

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 08:18, wrote:
[...]

I'd have said that nails was logically equivalent to "needing a tool".

As an alternative to mastic which may get messy, especially if you do
remove and replace it, for a "straight" joint you can make a very
professional looking finish with ordinary PVC electrical tape, stretched
slightly during application. Apply with excess at the start and finish,
finally finish after it is pressed down by cutting square with a craft
or stanley knife.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not feed the LEDs from the spur unit in the cupboard, you could even position the LED driver in there?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 08:18, wrote:
Hi all

I am now at the final stage of sorting my bathroom out. A number of
you helped me with my wiring questions thanks -
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/Bathroom$20wiring/uk.d-i-y/jpmoXo198GI

I have a switched fused (13a) spur in a cupboard in the bathroom
which feeds a spa bath. At the end of this feed is a IP5x junction
box under the bath feeding the motors. I am now looking to fit some
12v LED strip lights by the bath so need to feed the transformer off
this feed.

So.. a couple of questions 1. Assume I will need to fit another fused
(3a) spur for the led lights?

You may not need actually need additional fusing - it depends on what is
specified for the lights PSU.

If so, will a standard one under the
bath be ok or do I need to fit a waterproof one? Assume the bath
panel needs a tool to remove it.

That counts as "outside" of the bathroom wiring zones. So needs no
special treatment - hence just use what is appropriate for the
circumstance.

2. The bath surround itself has the
front removable. It is tightly in place with some short nails holding
it to the frame. It is possible to remove with your hands but not
easy. Would this be ok as needing a tool (thinking here is that you
are not going to be removing it whilst wet and come out of the bath
not like it is a door or simple latch to remove). I don't want to
screw it in as not easy to do it without spoiling the look. If not,
if I masticed the join between front and sides then it will need a
knife to remove it and will this be ok?

For the purposes of the wiring regs it sounds like its a "fixed" bit of
the installation - i.e. its not like a cupboard you can just open and
reach into easily. I would not worry about any additional sealing unless
you require it for other reasons.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks very much guys. I can't feed these LEDs off the cupboard spurs as they are the opposite sides of the room and floor down so to much hassle to run wires. The LEDs at the cupboard are fed off a 3 amp fused spur in the cupboard.

Thanks again John will check the transformers when I get home as not sure exactly which spec I bought. The type are these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/adaptor-tra.../dp/B01J15XK3S

If that is any good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 13:14, wrote:
Thanks very much guys. I can't feed these LEDs off the cupboard spurs as they are the opposite sides of the room and floor down so to much hassle to run wires. The LEDs at the cupboard are fed off a 3 amp fused spur in the cupboard.

Thanks again John will check the transformers when I get home as not sure exactly which spec I bought. The type are these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/adaptor-tra.../dp/B01J15XK3S

If that is any good?

Hard to tell from a photo ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah the Amazon description isn't that helpful. It says "Over-current protection and short circuit protection"but TBH not sure what to look for to determine whether it needs to be seperately fused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes good points as usual John. If I can find a spot to attach it I might as well put the fused switch in more for convenience than anything else and I could always switch it off if needed.