Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopcock for upstairs flat located in property downstairs - legal?

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:37:06 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Well the downstairs person could still "sabotage" the upstairs one by
turning off the stopcock in the road. I can see some logic in providing
an extra tap downstairs for, as you say, plumbing disasters (although I
don't think it is normally done). Best "fix" would be for stop taps to
be in a communal area, for example a shared hallway.

Had a leak a few years back, the water supply to next door goes
through my property with one stop cock for the two properties 1 metre
from my front door.

I had a leak under the kitchen floor just prior to having to go abroad
on a job. The cost of a plumber at short notice was frightful, along
with the fact that the pipework route was under and through my house.

The neighbour wasn't willing to contribute and was not keen on having
no water for a month.

Apparently I had no choice legally but to fork out.

I was told that if there was a water meter on either property, the
pipework would need to be re-installed by the water authourity. I
didn't have time to persue it then and I don't now either.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not exactly a DIY question, but kind of relevant to this group, so
thought I would enquire here (excuse the lengthy description).

My sister lives in a terraced property, comprised of upstairs and
downstairs flats (they were built that way, not houses that were
converted). She lives in one of the upstairs ones.

Anyway, seems the water supply to the upstairs flats enters through the
bathrooms of the flats directly below them.

I popped round the other day as her water had gone off, which coincided
with some building work that was taking place below.

Seems the plumbers have altered the pipework and put new stopcocks in,
on both the mains water for that flat and the supply to my sisters flat
upstairs and hadn't bothered to put the water back on before packing up
for the weekend. Which I soon rectified after managing to locate a
keyholder.

Now, this gives me a number of concerns.

Should the person downstairs have a stopcock to the property upstairs? I
know there is the issue of what happens in the event of a burst pipe,
but also there's the issue of someone sabotaging the supply (which is
kind-of what happened here)

Also, instead of the pipe entering the building and going straight up,
they've run the pipework (theirs and hers) all the way round their
bathroom and back so they could put these stopcocks in where they are
"easily accessable". Which means, what is to stop someone at a later
date tapping in to the wrong water supply if they decided to redo the
bathroom again?

So, I guess my questions are, should the flat downstairs have a stopcock
to the flat upstairs and shouldn't the supply to the flat upstairs go
straight up and not be diverted round their property where it can be
"tampered with"?

Thanks in advance.

Simon T

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Wrote
in message:

didn't have time to persue it then and I don't now either.

Really? You seem to have plenty judging by the quantity of your
"output" on here...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where is the water meter, one hopes it not in the flat below or that would
be silly.
As the cock was always downstairs, then making it easier to get at might be
fine, but really unless they had liaised with the upstairs occupants prior
to the work, surely they have acted illegally.
Brian

"Simon T" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 12:58:18 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K
wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Wrote
in message:

didn't have time to persue it then and I don't now either.

Really? You seem to have plenty judging by the quantity of your
"output" on here...

No I don't, but I find that "time management" enables me to slot
several tasks into a concurrent "program".

Sadly I have not yet managed to solve the overriding need to actually
be present when attending to problems concerning fluid transmission.
Hence the need for a plumber.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 11:19, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
I was told that if there was a water meter on either property, the
pipework would need to be re-installed by the water authourity. I
didn't have time to persue it then and I don't now either.

AB

[Apologies if you received an email, I clicked the wrong reply button]

The properties have seperate water meters and seperate turn offs
outside. But, as I said in my OP, enters the flat from the property
directly below, which is where they have tinkered about with it.

To answer Newshound's question, there is no communal area.

So, the water company may have to re-route?

As an aside, my sister's flat is rented and belongs to a housing
assosiation. The flat downstairs currently belongs to a private landlord
who is planning on letting it out.

So I guess in the event of any future problems, let the landlords sort
out between them?

--
Best Wishes
Simon T

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 13:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
Where is the water meter, one hopes it not in the flat below or that
would be silly.

Outside the property, under an inspection cover in the path in front of
the building, next to the neighbours.

Seems they had turned off the supply both outside and inside the flat.
Though had turned the external supply to their flat back on.

As the cock was always downstairs, then making it easier to get at might
be fine, but really unless they had liaised with the upstairsĀ* occupants
prior to the work, surely they have acted illegally.
Brian

Well it's done now.

The property my sister resides in is rented and owned by a housing
assosiation, she is going to be having words with them on Monday about this.

The chap who owns the flat downstairs is renovating it with a view to
letting it out. So I guess her landlord is going to have to have a word
with him and lewt them sort it out between them.

--
Best Wishes
Simon T

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The first property my daughter owned was a first floor flat which originally was part of a large store and warehouse that was subsequently split into smaller units. The lounge had a fancy window seat along one wall with a corner TV stand built in. We later found out that this structure was nothing more than a pipe housing for a soil pipe from the next door shop to find its way out of the building to the down stack. I must say I could never sit in that lounge again without contemplating on the possibility that someone else's **** might be floating past me. The thought also occurred as to who would be responsible if the pipe leaked at some point. Needless to say my daughter did not stay there long.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon T wrote:
[...]

Cut the pipe where it enters the flat and put a stopcock there for your
use and raise merry hell if the one downstairs gets turned off or better
still. while the builders are there remove the downstairs cock and join
the pipe straight through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Simon T, Lozano wrote:
This is exactly my situation and following a dispute with the neighbors I have
today come home to find my water turned off by them!! Did you get anywhere
with this? She is selling her flat, wonder of she has declared this dispute!!
This is causing me unnecessary stress! The previous neighbour fitted a stop
cock in the flat so they could have a water meter, unbeknown to us that stop
cock turned off our water!! Any advice would be gratefully received!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1282785-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 September 2018 14:44:04 UTC+1, Lozano wrote:
replying to Simon T, Lozano wrote:
This is exactly my situation and following a dispute with the neighbors I have
today come home to find my water turned off by them!! Did you get anywhere
with this? She is selling her flat, wonder of she has declared this dispute!!
This is causing me unnecessary stress! The previous neighbour fitted a stop
cock in the flat so they could have a water meter, unbeknown to us that stop
cock turned off our water!! Any advice would be gratefully received!!

You can inform every potential buyer that views of the new dispute.