Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bespoke thin steel washer?

I've got a metal guide which clamps around and through a hole in some
plastic (guide for a locking bar in a caravan external front locker).

The plastic is broken and can barely hold the metal part.

The simplest solution seems to be to fit a thin and wide metal washer to
spread the load and allow the remaining plastic bits to support the broken
area. The metal bit is two plates, one with studs the other with holes,
and a spacer in the middle which fits inside the hole. Not that much free
adjustment on the stud/nut but enough for one washer. Stacking more than
one might be an issue.

O.K. - now for the washer (or similar).

I am reluctant to make my own because of the requirement to make a proper
circular hole in a piece of metal - the tolerances are fairly fine.

Sods law suggests that nobody will make a washer which has the hole size I
require.

Any alternatives?

I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out of
sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite
something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding cheap.

Will post dimensions in a bit; just trawling for alternative suggestions
in case sod's law turns out to be accurate.

Also, I will check that the solution I have visualised over night will
actually work.

Every time you fix something, two other things break.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 14:27, David wrote:
[...]

You should be able to make a nice round hole in thin steel if you clamp
it very firmly between two thicker pieces of steel and drill through the
lot. I reckon you could even do it with two pieces of hardwood.

Any chance of a photograph? I mean of the problem, not of yourself,
although that would be OK as well if it pleases you.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 14:35:27 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

[...]

Depends which bits.

Drill bits, of course.

My (possibly wrong) starting assumption was that the hole was too big for
any of my drill bits.

Busy with other stuff for a bit, and very reluctant to open the locker
again in case I can't close the bugger.

Will post a picture and dimensions in a while.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 April 2018 14:27:12 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to try the obvious and see if someone does sell the relevant size first?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out of
sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite
something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding cheap.

What size holes? Q-max cutters (or clones) for reasonable sizes ain't that
expensive, compared to a press.

The dimensions required might help.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 14:07:55 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Dimensions:

Hole - 30.92 mm (also size of spacer)

Plate external diameter - 33.85mm

Thickness of all 3 metal parts - about 1.21mm

Just about to try and load some pictures onto the FAQ.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:25:29 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

A number of files uploaded to the DIY FAQ.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...pg&oldid=20798

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Plate_and_spacer_apart.jpg&oldid=20797

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Inner_plate_studs_and_spacer.jpg&oldid= 20796

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Plate_removed.jpg&oldid=20795

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=Fileamaged_Side_2.jpg&oldid=20794

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=Fileamaged_Side_1.jpg&oldid=20793

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...pg&oldid=20792

Apologies for the grungy links. I'm sure that there is a better, faster
and easier way of doing things but I'm still floundering my way around the
site.

My current thinking is that if I can replicate the spacer in a broader
piece of metal approximately 1 mm - 1.25 mm thick then this should do the
trick. The holes can be slightly larger because a snug fit isn't required
and the plate (not washer) can be a reasonably random shape as long as it
just covers the flat bits.

If I make it large enough then it could form a back support when I try and
fix the plastic back together. Which will be the next problem as it has no
doubt stretched and distorted whilst breaking. I assume fibreglass may be
the way to go, or car body filler.

Anyway, does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you not replace the whole mechanism?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
If I make it large enough then it could form a back support when I try
and fix the plastic back together. Which will be the next problem as it
has no doubt stretched and distorted whilst breaking. I assume
fibreglass may be the way to go, or car body filler.

For something like that plastic repair, I'd always use epoxy, possibly
with the metal support one side and glass fibre in the resin at the
back.

This, of course, assumes it doesn't need to flex a bit in use.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 15:07, David wrote:

My (possibly wrong) starting assumption was that the hole was too big for
any of my drill bits.

Ooh no you can't do it with a drill bit. You must use a step drill. Buy
two, one with odd numbers of mm, the other with even numbers.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 14:27, David wrote:

Any alternatives?

Why not make a large metal patch and glue and screw it to the back of
the broken plastic bit to fully cover the hole and crack - perhaps
covering the whole back of of the plastic fixing point. Open up a Cola
can with a craft knife and pair of scissors to get a nice flat bit of
thin pliable metal that you can shape to the contours of the fixing.
Once glued and screwed in (small self tapping screws?) you can cut out
the hole with a craft knife and needle file.

Irrespective of what you try, drill a small hole at the end of the
crack to prevent it extending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83OVArf6iA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
David wrote:
I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out of
sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite
something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding cheap.

What size holes? Q-max cutters (or clones) for reasonable sizes ain't that
expensive, compared to a press.

The dimensions required might help.

Metal cutting hole saws?
Cut for the outside diameter first and then do the centre with a smaller
cutter.

Not known for a tidy finish though.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
[...]

How do you find each file in wiki?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 19:22:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Can you not replace the whole mechanism?
Brian

It isn't the mechanism that is broken, it is the plastic moulding on the
inside of the locker door.

I could, perhaps, order a new one from Hymer in Germany (likewise with the
mechanism) but that would just (at considerable expense) reinstate a
design which, on a brand new caravan, has already failed.

I need a temporary fix anyway whatever the final solution.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 19:22:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Can you not replace the whole mechanism?
Brian

It isn't the mechanism that is broken, it is the plastic moulding on the
inside of the locker door.

I could, perhaps, order a new one from Hymer in Germany (likewise with the
mechanism) but that would just (at considerable expense) reinstate a
design which, on a brand new caravan, has already failed.

If it is brand new why are you expecting to pay for it?
Can you not get the supplier/manufacturer to repair it as it has proved
unsatisfactory.

I need a temporary fix anyway whatever the final solution.

Is there room around the locker just to keep it closed with a suitable
length ratchet strap for the time being.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 22:21:23 +0000, Marland wrote:

David wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 19:22:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Can you not replace the whole mechanism?
Brian

It isn't the mechanism that is broken, it is the plastic moulding on
the inside of the locker door.

I could, perhaps, order a new one from Hymer in Germany (likewise with
the mechanism) but that would just (at considerable expense) reinstate
a design which, on a brand new caravan, has already failed.

If it is brand new why are you expecting to pay for it?
Can you not get the supplier/manufacturer to repair it as it has proved
unsatisfactory.

I need a temporary fix anyway whatever the final solution.

Is there room around the locker just to keep it closed with a suitable
length ratchet strap for the time being.

GH

Just over a year old now.

There will be a discussion, but the service agent is 2.5 hours drive away
so non-trivial to visit.

I need a temporary solution. Unfortunately bungee cords probably won't do
it as there are no suitable attachment points.

Thanks

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:30:07 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

See here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Special:ListFiles

Cheers