Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bespoke thin steel washer?

On Saturday, 14 April 2018 14:27:12 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I've got a metal guide which clamps around and through a hole in some
plastic (guide for a locking bar in a caravan external front locker).

The plastic is broken and can barely hold the metal part.

The simplest solution seems to be to fit a thin and wide metal washer to
spread the load and allow the remaining plastic bits to support the broken
area. The metal bit is two plates, one with studs the other with holes,
and a spacer in the middle which fits inside the hole. Not that much free
adjustment on the stud/nut but enough for one washer. Stacking more than
one might be an issue.

O.K. - now for the washer (or similar).

I am reluctant to make my own because of the requirement to make a proper
circular hole in a piece of metal - the tolerances are fairly fine.

Sods law suggests that nobody will make a washer which has the hole size I
require.

Any alternatives?

I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out of
sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite
something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding cheap.

Will post dimensions in a bit; just trawling for alternative suggestions
in case sod's law turns out to be accurate.

Also, I will check that the solution I have visualised over night will
actually work.

Every time you fix something, two other things break.

Cheers

Dave R

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to try the obvious and see if someone does sell the relevant size first?

NT