Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Bespoke thin steel washer?

David wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:25:29 +0000, David wrote:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 14:07:55 +0000, David wrote:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 14:35:27 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 14/04/2018 14:27, David wrote:
I've got a metal guide which clamps around and through a hole in some
plastic (guide for a locking bar in a caravan external front locker).

The plastic is broken and can barely hold the metal part.

The simplest solution seems to be to fit a thin and wide metal washer
to spread the load and allow the remaining plastic bits to support
the broken area. The metal bit is two plates, one with studs the
other with holes, and a spacer in the middle which fits inside the
hole. Not that much free adjustment on the stud/nut but enough for
one washer. Stacking more than one might be an issue.

O.K. - now for the washer (or similar).

I am reluctant to make my own because of the requirement to make a
proper circular hole in a piece of metal - the tolerances are fairly
fine.

Sods law suggests that nobody will make a washer which has the hole
size I require.

Any alternatives?

I assume the standard way of making flat washers is to punch them out
of sheet steel with a suitable sized punch (the wastage must be quite
something) but suitable sized punches plus a press isn't sounding
cheap.

Will post dimensions in a bit; just trawling for alternative
suggestions in case sod's law turns out to be accurate.

You should be able to make a nice round hole in thin steel if you
clamp it very firmly between two thicker pieces of steel and drill
through the lot. I reckon you could even do it with two pieces of
hardwood.

Any chance of a photograph? I mean of the problem, not of yourself,
although that would be OK as well if it pleases you.

Bill

Depends which bits.

Drill bits, of course.

My (possibly wrong) starting assumption was that the hole was too big
for any of my drill bits.

Busy with other stuff for a bit, and very reluctant to open the locker
again in case I can't close the bugger.

Will post a picture and dimensions in a while.

Dimensions:

Hole - 30.92 mm (also size of spacer)

Plate external diameter - 33.85mm

Thickness of all 3 metal parts - about 1.21mm

Just about to try and load some pictures onto the FAQ.

A number of files uploaded to the DIY FAQ.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...pg&oldid=20798

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Plate_and_spacer_apart.jpg&oldid=20797

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Inner_plate_studs_and_spacer.jpg&oldid= 20796

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=File:Plate_removed.jpg&oldid=20795

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=Fileamaged_Side_2.jpg&oldid=20794

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?
title=Fileamaged_Side_1.jpg&oldid=20793

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...pg&oldid=20792

Apologies for the grungy links. I'm sure that there is a better, faster
and easier way of doing things but I'm still floundering my way around the
site.

My current thinking is that if I can replicate the spacer in a broader
piece of metal approximately 1 mm - 1.25 mm thick then this should do the
trick. The holes can be slightly larger because a snug fit isn't required
and the plate (not washer) can be a reasonably random shape as long as it
just covers the flat bits.

If I make it large enough then it could form a back support when I try and
fix the plastic back together. Which will be the next problem as it has no
doubt stretched and distorted whilst breaking. I assume fibreglass may be
the way to go, or car body filler.

Anyway, does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Cheers

Dave R

How do you find each file in wiki?