Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC boot time

Managed to trip the workshop breaker today which crashed out the old PC
running Win7.

When I restarted it, it said 'resuming Windows' and got to the desktop far
quicker than normal. Why?

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Managed to trip the workshop breaker today which crashed out the old PC
running Win7.

When I restarted it, it said 'resuming Windows' and got to the desktop far
quicker than normal. Why?

Hybrid sleep?

When enabled, if PC goes to sleep, it also writes state to disk in case
power is lost, if that happens it's like waking from hibernate, rather
than booting from scratch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Managed to trip the workshop breaker today which crashed out the old PC
running Win7.

When I restarted it, it said 'resuming Windows' and got to the desktop far
quicker than normal. Why?

The PC was already in a low power hibernate mode with session saved to
disk when the breaker went.

If the PC had been active when the power went off suddenly then it would
have needed to rebuild some files and take an age or two to do it.

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

Amen to that. I invested £30 and my old Dell now boots in seconds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/18 09:46, stuart noble wrote:

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

Amen to that. I invested £30 and my old Dell now boots in seconds

I think i am down to 7 seconds, two of which are bios checks, and three
are setting up the desktop and X window env. post logging in.

CPU bound really, as the laptop is a lot slower.

The miost incerdible boot is Windows XP in a VM. Its about a second to
'resume' from image, and about 5 from cold.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Managed to trip the workshop breaker today which crashed out the old PC
running Win7.

When I restarted it, it said 'resuming Windows' and got to the desktop far
quicker than normal. Why?

The PC was already in a low power hibernate mode with session saved to
disk when the breaker went.

If the PC had been active when the power went off suddenly then it would
have needed to rebuild some files and take an age or two to do it.

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

It has got an SSD. Can't say it is noticeably faster.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Managed to trip the workshop breaker today which crashed out the old PC
running Win7.

When I restarted it, it said 'resuming Windows' and got to the desktop far
quicker than normal. Why?

The PC was already in a low power hibernate mode with session saved to
disk when the breaker went.

If the PC had been active when the power went off suddenly then it would
have needed to rebuild some files and take an age or two to do it.

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

It has got an SSD. Can't say it is noticeably faster.

Something is wrong if it isn't at least a factor of 2 faster and
normally nearly an order of magnitude faster (depending on how extensive
your default power up BIOS checks are). Some BIOSes these days offer a
save working ram image to SSD option during controlled shutdown so that
you can quite literally restart from exactly where you were before.

My SSD practically maxes out a 6G SATA link whereas my spinning rust
disk barely scrapes past 10% of the bandwidth of a 3G SATA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It has got an SSD. Can't say it is noticeably faster.

Something is wrong if it isn't at least a factor of 2 faster and
normally nearly an order of magnitude faster (depending on how extensive
your default power up BIOS checks are). Some BIOSes these days offer a
save working ram image to SSD option during controlled shutdown so that
you can quite literally restart from exactly where you were before.

My SSD practically maxes out a 6G SATA link whereas my spinning rust
disk barely scrapes past 10% of the bandwidth of a 3G SATA.

Well, with my laptop when I first got it (thanks Mr Rumm) and fitted the
SSD, it was extremely fast to boot. But with normal use and all the
Windows updates it has slowed down considerably.

This workshop PC is a lot older, but running the same OS. Processor is an
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21GHz. And can't say the boot time improved noticeably
when fitting the SSD. Although it has another HD too, with XP on it.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 13:49:50 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Years ago, well the early 2000s I heard that some buses would only run at the speed of the slowest device, so if you had a CD/DVD drive in the same chain (IDE) then you're HDs would run at the same speed as the CD drive so not very fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 09:46, stuart noble wrote:

They boot even faster if you swap spinning rust for solid state.

Amen to that. I invested £30 and my old Dell now boots in seconds

I just leave my laptop on all the time as it sometimes won't recognise
the HDD on bootup. The screen goes black after 5 minutes.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
It has got an SSD. Can't say it is noticeably faster.

Something is wrong if it isn't at least a factor of 2 faster and
normally nearly an order of magnitude faster (depending on how extensive
your default power up BIOS checks are). Some BIOSes these days offer a
save working ram image to SSD option during controlled shutdown so that
you can quite literally restart from exactly where you were before.

My SSD practically maxes out a 6G SATA link whereas my spinning rust
disk barely scrapes past 10% of the bandwidth of a 3G SATA.

Well, with my laptop when I first got it (thanks Mr Rumm) and fitted the
SSD, it was extremely fast to boot. But with normal use and all the
Windows updates it has slowed down considerably.

Things like additional programs loaded at startup can have quite an
effect. If you run "autoruns" from live.sysinternals.com you can see
exactly what is being loaded...

Things like virus scanners can have a big hit on boot performance.

This workshop PC is a lot older, but running the same OS. Processor is an
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21GHz. And can't say the boot time improved noticeably
when fitting the SSD. Although it has another HD too, with XP on it.

There are several components of boot time, including how long it takes
to get through the various BIOS initialisation stages before it even
gets to start loading stuff from disk. Some older machines can be quite
slow there (especially if they have other hardware that needs
initialisation - like one of my machines that probably adds 10 secs just
doing the SCSI init and bus scan).

CPU performance will also have an effect on booting times, since a
windows boot will load lots of separate executable images that need to
initialise and run. On a modern processor the boot will be mainly IO
bound, but on older ones, the lack of processor oomph becomes far more
noticeable - SSD upgrades will often then just shift you a little
further along the road to the next bottleneck.

Lastly WinXP can have a number of issues on SSD drives. Not supporting
the trim command can mean progressively slower write operations
(although that should not effect boot too much).

Also the XP disk preparation routines did not align partitions to suit
drives with 4K sectors. That's bad news for modern drives of all types
since they are then forced to do a read / modify / write cycles on two
sectors for every single sector written by the OS creating a "write
amplification" effect. That's another big performance hit on writes, and
a smaller one on reads (mostly on random reads). Its also an additional
problem on SSDs since it burns though the flash page write cycle limit
more quickly, and gives the drive's wear levelling algorithm more to do.
(having said that the write cycle limit on modern SSDs is pretty high -
so you will be hard pushed to actually wear out a SSD).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 14:09, whisky-dave wrote:
Years ago, well the early 2000s I heard that some buses would only run at the speed of the slowest device, so if you had a CD/DVD drive in the same chain (IDE) then you're HDs would run at the same speed as the CD drive so not very fast.

That's not why an SSD is faster.

With a conventional spinning rust disk to read something off the disk
you have to
1 Send it a command
2 Have it work out what you mean
3 Move the heads across the disk to the right track (like selecting a
track on an LP)
4 Wait for the disk to go around to the right position
5 read the data off the disk
6 transfer the disk to the PC.

The old PATA CD slowdown thing affected #6 only.

On a spinning rust disc 3 & 4 will both take several milliseconds, and
are the slowest part of the whole process.

On an SSD steps 3 & 4 are missing from the sequence.

SSDs _do_ have one problem spinning rust discs don't, but you rarely see
it - if you write a _LOT_ of data they can run out of spare blank space
to write to, and they have to slow down while they clean a bit more. The
trim command (hi John!) is designed to let it know about free space it
can erase in advance.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/18 22:53, Vir Campestris wrote:
SSDs _do_ have one problem spinning rust discs don't, but you rarely see
it - if you write a _LOT_ of data they can run out of spare blank space
to write to, and they have to slow down while they clean a bit more. The
trim command (hi John!) is designed to let it know about free space it
can erase in advance.

This is more or less ********.

SSDs can only write ENORMOUS blocks at a time.

So changing one bit on a file will, in the end, result in maybe 10K
bytes of write., normally to a fresh block to minismise wear which is
all down to writes.

This is not down to how MUCH data is written, but simply to how often it
happens.

In practive modern SSDS have a lot of cache RAM inside, to minimise
writes, and of course modern operating systems (even Windows) will also
cache writes in RAM.

What this means is that lost of data does not slow down SSDS at all.
Only if all the cached writes in the disk and the operatinsg system get
full will the disk actually write anything at all, and SSD writes are FAST.

Since they are done in HUGE chunks.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 22:53:36 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/04/2018 14:09, whisky-dave wrote:
Years ago, well the early 2000s I heard that some buses would only run at the speed of the slowest device, so if you had a CD/DVD drive in the same chain (IDE) then you're HDs would run at the same speed as the CD drive so not very fast.

That's not why an SSD is faster.

I never said it was the reason and I didn;t say anyhting about teh speed of SSDs.

With a conventional spinning rust disk to read something off the disk
you have to
1 Send it a command
2 Have it work out what you mean
3 Move the heads across the disk to the right track (like selecting a
track on an LP)
4 Wait for the disk to go around to the right position
5 read the data off the disk
6 transfer the disk to the PC.

The old PATA CD slowdown thing affected #6 only.

No what happened I think it was APTI ver. 4 where the max bus speed of 66MHz went down to 33MHz if a CD drive was on the same bus.

On a spinning rust disc 3 & 4 will both take several milliseconds, and
are the slowest part of the whole process.

Irrelevant and I think those that use the term spinning rust might not know what they are talking about.

On an SSD steps 3 & 4 are missing from the sequence.

So.

SSDs _do_ have one problem spinning rust discs don't, but you rarely see
it - if you write a _LOT_ of data they can run out of spare blank space
to write to, and they have to slow down while they clean a bit more.

They don;t have to slow down, what happens with SSDs is that the data can't be overwritten (currently), so what you need to do is actually erase the data rather than just the link to that file like you did with HDs.

The
trim command (hi John!) is designed to let it know about free space it
can erase in advance.

Not really a problem nowerdays

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/18 22:53, Vir Campestris wrote:
SSDs _do_ have one problem spinning rust discs don't, but you rarely
see it - if you write a _LOT_ of data they can run out of spare blank
space to write to, and they have to slow down while they clean a bit
more. The trim command (hi John!) is designed to let it know about
free space it can erase in advance.

This is more or less ********.

No, actually its a pretty good explanation.

SSDs can only write ENORMOUS blocks at a time.

Only if you think 2K to 16K is "enormous".

Typical page sizes on modern NAND flash devices range from 2K to 16K.
These are arranged in blocks of typically 128 or 256 pages per block.

So changing one bit on a file will, in the end, result in maybe 10K
bytes of write.,

10K is "unlikely" (in the extreme, think powers of 2)

For modern advanced format drives 4K is the standard sector size used by
the OS. So 4K is the smallest write size the OS will support. How that
maps to flash pages will depends on the physical page size of the
devices being used.

normally to a fresh block to minismise

The write will usually be to a fresh *page* (not necessarily a fresh
block). There are only limited modifications you can do to a page once
written, and you can't erase a single page at a time. So page writes are
typically to a fresh page within in a block. Only if there are
insufficient pages free in a block, then the drive *may* have to copy
all remaining valid pages from the current block to a new one. (and when
doing that, it would much rather not have to erase an existing used
block full of invalidated pages first)

wear which is all down to writes.

*Mostly* down to writes, however flash does suffer from a "read disturb"
characteristic that means the typical bit error rate for a block will
tend to increase with the number of page reads performed on it. Modern
flash controllers will also tend to keep count of this, and reallocate a
whole block of pages when the limit it reached.

This is not down to how MUCH data is written, but simply to how often it
happens.

That makes no sense at all if you think about it. A single 1MB file
write will take more flash write operations, than twenty 1K file writes
even though the latter is more "often"

In practive modern SSDS have a lot of cache RAM inside, to minimise
writes, and of course modern operating systems (even Windows) will also
cache writes in RAM.

Handy for random IO, but does not have much effect for larger sequential
writes. Ultimately you can only safely cache in RAM for a few seconds.

What this means is that lost of data does not slow down SSDS at all.
Only if all the cached writes in the disk and the operatinsg system get
full will the disk actually write anything at all, and SSD writes are FAST.

The writes are fast - when there is a free page in a block and / or a
free block to copy the existing block with modified pages into. The
difficulty comes when there are no free blocks and the drive then needs
to do a garbage collection and a block level erase. Its the block level
erase that is slow.

Newer drives can mitigate this somewhat with background garbage
collection - (that tends to help more on typical workstation workloads,
than server workloads).

Trim support at the OS level helps keep the drive aware of which pages
in any given block are actually valid. Thus it will reduce the time
taken to garbage collect, and also reduce the number of pages that need
to be copied to a new block when that time comes. That in turn reduces
the requirement for new writeable blocks, and hence reduce the number of
times a page erase operation will need to be done in the middle of a
disk IO operation.

Since they are done in HUGE chunks.

That's not necessarily the case, see above. The write speed for those
"huge chunks" will vary enormously depending on the circumstances. Its
why new fresh drives tend to perform better than more heavily used ones.

--
Cheers,

John.