Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are brass screws redundant?

I thought I would like to have a selection of brass screws handy for outside jobs, toilet pans etc but Screwfix have hardly any. Toolstation have more.

Does everyone use Stainless these days?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:

I thought I would like to have a selection of brass screws handy for
outside jobs, toilet pans etc but Screwfix have hardly any.
Toolstation have more.

eBay has lots ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure,maybe stainless are cheaper just now. I always found brass
screws liable to snap or chip and went green.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
I thought I would like to have a selection of brass screws handy for
outside jobs, toilet pans etc but Screwfix have hardly any. Toolstation
have more.

Does everyone use Stainless these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'm not sure,maybe stainless are cheaper just now. I always found brass
screws liable to snap or chip and went green.
Brian

They'll snap if you haven't drilled a suitable pilot hole.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sheds and Screwfix et al do not seem to hold many solid brass screws even those often supplied with brass handles tend to be brass plated steel screws. The choice of heads is also becoming narrower with countersunk head predominantly , raised head and round head becoming much rarer. Fortunately most fastener suppliers still stock a good range.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2018 15:51, Rednadnerb wrote:
I thought I would like to have a selection of brass screws handy for
outside jobs, toilet pans etc but Screwfix have hardly any.
Toolstation have more.

Genuine brass are far less common these days. Many are just plated steel.

Probably a side effect of traditional shape wood screws being out of
favour, and brass being too soft to make a modern screw design from.

Does everyone use Stainless these days?

Personally I don't often use stainless - most of the ones I use are some
form of galvanised or plated.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2018 15:51, Rednadnerb wrote:
I thought I would like to have a selection of brass screws handy for outside jobs, toilet pans etc but Screwfix have hardly any. Toolstation have more.

Does everyone use Stainless these days?

I do, if I really need corrosion resistance. The only place for brass
screws is for fitting decorative brass plaques, which are going to be
polished IMHO.

As others have said, brass is not so strong, some types are prone to
attack by chlorides, not to mention this classic in the metallurgists'
textbooks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 07:51:50 -0700 (PDT), Rednadnerb wrote:

Does everyone use Stainless these days?

I use and prefer brass. Yes it's soft so you have to drill a pilot
hole or use correct sized plug. But I have yet to have a brass screw
snap in service, rather than when tightening, like I have with
stainless. Only use stainless when I want a silver head.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Redundant Battery Operated Sump Pump lagman Home Ownership 1 July 20th 07 10:41 PM
Identifying redundant pipework [email protected] UK diy 5 April 5th 06 09:01 AM
Redundant boiler flue. sPoNiX UK diy 0 November 17th 05 12:26 PM
Redundant power supply problem Tom Del Rosso Electronics Repair 7 March 28th 05 08:31 AM
Redundant air vents in kitchen wall. Matt G. UK diy 4 January 31st 04 09:14 AM