Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Alarms/PIRs/Cats

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

They use pet sensor PIRs.

eg Veritas petwise.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

A few months ago I asked about using PIRs with purrs (sorry, I couldn't
resist) and was told that the "pet proof" ones were not very effective.
I haven't got the right tuit yet so can't report on my experiences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-04-02, wrote:
On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of
ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

A few months ago I asked about using PIRs with purrs (sorry, I couldn't
resist) and was told that the "pet proof" ones were not very effective.

We had one fitted in our garage in an attempt to reduce false triggering
due to bats.

It didn't work.

But then, the bats aren't pets.

Well get rid of them then and say nothing. It's not like they are going
to fly off and report you.

Maybe not but the penalties for doing so are not to be underestimated
and bat colonies tend to be 'known' to local enthusiasts. We discovered
this while on holiday some years back and noticed some bats while
walking back from the pub one night. We stopped and watched them,
thinking we were alone and then had the feeling we were being watched.
Tucked away in the gap in the hedge there were a group we'd seen in the
pub. They had 'bat detectors', note books, flasks of coffee..... They
went round all the local roosts (or want even the places bats hang out
are called) at weekends, and spent Sat night watching and listening to
them. Beats late night TV, at least in Wales. ;-) (Only joking, the
place we were staying was really nice.)

I believe you can ask 'experts' to move them - they re-site them rather
than just kill or exclude them- plus handling bats can be tricky, they
can carry a disease similar to rabies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

Daughter's one seems to sleep a lot. They are also trying to work out
how to fit a cat flap - the only available door has glass panels. There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall. They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 10:46, Huge wrote:
On 2018-04-02, wrote:
[...]

More to the point bats are warm blooded and can fly and once they get
close to the sensor they look exactly like a big mammal a long way away.
A spider inside the works can also screw things up with false triggers.

We also have bats although I try very hard not to get them inside the
house at learning to fly time the odd juvenile will find some new tiny
crack that I have missed and end up orbiting the living room light.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 15:04:54 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of
ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

Daughter's one seems to sleep a lot. They are also trying to work out
how to fit a cat flap - the only available door has glass panels.

We had a single glaxed panel fitted, with the right size hole.

There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

Yes, some can have a 'tunnel' added too. Quite a lot of work making the
hole, though.

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

You can - but the company was, in the past, associated with an individual
on another newsgroup whom I would not trust. That has probably changed.
The showstopper for me was that it only controlled inward movement, and I
needed per-cat control in both directions. They assured me there would be
an accessory for that, but were unable to tell me how long it would be
before it was available.

I see that Pet Mate do a microchip 4 way version now, though, and they
are a reliable company. They also do one that works with a small ID disc
you put on the collar (not a magnet). Pet Mate have always been good for
support and spare parts, too.

http://www.pet-mate.com/gb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:

There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

I have done so. Can make it easier to get bottom of the cat flap at
about the same height as the cat's tum than in a door.

I've not done one in a cavity wall but AIUI with them a "lining" for the
tunnel is *strongly* recommended

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 15:04:54 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

You can - but the company was, in the past, associated with an individual
on another newsgroup whom I would not trust. That has probably changed.
The showstopper for me was that it only controlled inward movement, and I
needed per-cat control in both directions. They assured me there would be
an accessory for that, but were unable to tell me how long it would be
before it was available.

I see that Pet Mate do a microchip 4 way version now, though, and they
are a reliable company. They also do one that works with a small ID disc
you put on the collar (not a magnet). Pet Mate have always been good for
support and spare parts, too.

http://www.pet-mate.com/gb

I had a cat when I was a teenager, long before id chips.
I tried building a lock to stop other cats coming in.
Used a reed switch to be triggered by a magnet on the collar.
Problem was the cat would come back in with a necklace of
scrap ironmongary hanging from the magnet collected from the
local neighbourhood. Gave up on the idea.

BTW, always liked the following project:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081014...lo_control.htm

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin writes:
On 02/04/2018 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:

There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

I have done so. Can make it easier to get bottom of the cat flap at
about the same height as the cat's tum than in a door.

I've not done one in a cavity wall but AIUI with them a "lining" for the
tunnel is *strongly* recommended

A friend was building an extension and needed to include a cat flap,
so he built it into the wall. It even had a lintel over it, because
he had an off-cut which was exactly the right length. The BCO saw
the small hole through the wall with a lintel before the doors and
windows were fitted and asked what it was. He thought it was hilarious.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

I used point-to-point active infra-red beams when I did an alarm job for
a mate. I disguised the tx and rxs. It worked fine.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 15:04:57 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

sofas, stairs, ceiling fans, aerial walkways, you name it. Depending on the nature of the cat in question. There are even ones that will climb up things to get near the ceiling and leap out when people enter.

Daughter's one seems to sleep a lot.

16 hours a day is the norm. Much more can be an indicator of pain.

They are also trying to work out
how to fit a cat flap - the only available door has glass panels.

A glazier can probably sort that for you.

There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

certainly can.

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

yes, I looked into those and was unimpressed. So are most cats.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 15:27:21 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 15:04:54 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

You can - but the company was, in the past, associated with an individual
on another newsgroup whom I would not trust. That has probably changed.
The showstopper for me was that it only controlled inward movement, and I
needed per-cat control in both directions. They assured me there would be
an accessory for that, but were unable to tell me how long it would be
before it was available.

I see that Pet Mate do a microchip 4 way version now, though, and they
are a reliable company. They also do one that works with a small ID disc
you put on the collar (not a magnet). Pet Mate have always been good for
support and spare parts, too.

http://www.pet-mate.com/gb

I'd pick pet-mate over staywell flaps every time. But don't assume a cat will be willing to use those ones.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 20:16:27 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

I used point-to-point active infra-red beams when I did an alarm job for
a mate. I disguised the tx and rxs. It worked fine.

Bill

Ditto. A largely outdated technology, but work well enough if the beam covers the main walkway and ideally includes a door that never blows shut. Can be a good approach where PIRs would be no good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

In my experience they work well. We had problems with a farm cat
"visiting" and terrorising the feline occupants - a coded entry flap
solved the problem. In the previous house I had one that allowed
controlled exit and entry, but that was less reliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:09:30 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
[...]

https://web.archive.org/web/20081014091109/http://

http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Co...lo_control.htm

I was going to mention that...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of
ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

Some sensors are like that, but not all. Others use a PIR which is
designed to ignore small, moving heat sources, while still picking up
larger ones.

Ours also combines this with microwave sensing - which I assume is also
size dependent - and only triggers when both PIR and microwave sensors
are triggered.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

We found that our cats didn't like the noise of the motor releasing the
latch, but that they got used to it.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/18 20:15, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A friend was building an extension and needed to include a cat flap,
so he built it into the wall. It even had a lintel over it, because
he had an off-cut which was exactly the right length. The BCO saw
the small hole through the wall with a lintel before the doors and
windows were fitted and asked what it was. He thought it was hilarious.

I knew someone who built their dog an outside access tunnel right beside
the downstairs loo toilet pan, as elsewhere his garden was much lower
than the height of his ground floor.

Having a visit by the dog while sat in there was, erm, fun? :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:09:30 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
BTW, always liked the following project:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081014...lo_control.htm

I was going to mention that...!

Strange that a gambling company has taken over the website
and deliberately put gambling content on that old location.
They must have done it very specifically to pick up attempted
hits on the old website. I'm somewhat surprised it was worth
the effort, or that the teckies going there are likely to be
worth much gambling custom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

If you find they work OK (ignoring pets and noticing people) it would be
useful to know the make/model

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:09:30 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
BTW, always liked the following project:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081014...lo_control.htm

I was going to mention that...!

Strange that a gambling company has taken over the website
and deliberately put gambling content on that old location.
They must have done it very specifically to pick up attempted
hits on the old website. I'm somewhat surprised it was worth
the effort, or that the teckies going there are likely to be
worth much gambling custom.

I've just tried it and it works although it is incomplete and
the avi content just produces 9 seconds of black!

No sign of any gambling so perhaps it was a temporary blip?

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 16:40:08 UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:09:30 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
BTW, always liked the following project:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081014...lo_control.htm

I was going to mention that...!

Strange that a gambling company has taken over the website
and deliberately put gambling content on that old location.
They must have done it very specifically to pick up attempted
hits on the old website. I'm somewhat surprised it was worth
the effort, or that the teckies going there are likely to be
worth much gambling custom.

I've just tried it and it works although it is incomplete and
the avi content just produces 9 seconds of black!

No sign of any gambling so perhaps it was a temporary blip?

that or they lost the video in a bet

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

Pet proof sensors. Basically, the lens is designed to ignore low moving
objects like cats or dogs. Work OK here.

I'm not a cat owner but don't they climb on sofas etc?

and on anything else they feel the need to climb on.
On the backs of sofas mine sometimes sleeps on my scanner next to the computer.

Daughter's one seems to sleep a lot. They are also trying to work out
how to fit a cat flap - the only available door has glass panels. There
is a wall into a conservatory but I'm not sure if you can fit a cat flap
in a wall.

You can some provide an extention tunnul made of plastic to go through the wall.

They tell me you can get flaps which are coded to the
microchips that each cat has.

Yes mine has one and in the past I needed to get my cat chipped and brought the catflap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

After I did this video which I did for amusment and to see what did happen the porteport people saw it on-line and asked if they could use it in an ad..
And the Animal planet channel in the USA also used a few seconds of it, and I got a new catflap (later version than the one I had, and a £100 cheque)
So unusually I did actually get paid :-)

I don't believe in pet proof PIRs as pets pretty much have the same PIR profile as humans and have yet to see any evidence to prove they PIR is differnt enough for a PIR to detect other than using height or amoiunt of 'light' detected.