Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default DIY Alarms/PIRs/Cats

On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the
problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the
layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this problem- what
to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc to
window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will 'cover'
the required rooms and I think there are routes for wiring, if we can't
find a wireless solution.)

A few months ago I asked about using PIRs with purrs (sorry, I couldn't
resist) and was told that the "pet proof" ones were not very effective.
I haven't got the right tuit yet so can't report on my experiences.