Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Generation game

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better

They owe Giedroyc & Perkins a 'vehicle' for not going to C4 with
Bake-Off ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 20:45:03 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
OMG they have resurrected the generation game.
It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

And there're two hours of Larry Grayson on ITV starting soon.

I wonder which of Mel and Sue are playing Larry and which Isla St Clair?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/18 20:45, alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Beeb is in full panic mode over opening up accounts to public scrutiny

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 20:48:24 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better

They owe Giedroyc & Perkins a 'vehicle' for not going to C4 with
Bake-Off ...

Whilst I quite enjoyed it the first time round there is no way I'd
watch it again, *especially* when hosted by those two.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 02:24:07 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/04/18 20:45, alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Beeb is in full panic mode over opening up accounts to public scrutiny

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

Plus lots more cookery programs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

I suspect that this time the drivel has been very expensive. From what
I've read today it appears that the BBC filmed 4 episodes of the
Generation Game but only 2 were fit for transmission.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

It will still be ****. As are most TV programmes.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its in my opinion, all in the way its done, ie the personality of the
presenters.
Nothing wrong with the format, but often a lot wrong with the way they try
to make remakes.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"alan_m" wrote in message

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after period
of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after period
of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It allows a new generation (pun intended) of presenters to make arses of
themselves and show how crap they are compared with Bruce Forsyth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 10:39, NY wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when
the BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that
after period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It allows a new generation (pun intended) of presenters to make arses of
themselves and show how crap they are compared with Bruce Forsyth.

With nostalgia, people tend to remember the 5% of the good bits and
forget the 95% of the rubbish. The show's format was dated 20 or 30
years ago and should have been put down for good at that time.

As for presenters who can make a sows ear into a silk purse, it's
difference between someone who learnt the craft the hard way in front
audiences who would tell them where to go and had mastered the art of
the humorous put down and celebrity presenters who just seem to appear
from no-where after failing to be comedians.

Is it just me that when watching a celebrity edition of a program I
don't know who any of the celebrities are?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/04/2018 10:39, NY wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

[...]

The format of most game shows is utter crap. The Generation Game was a
cringe-making as the rest. What made the difference was the Bruce Forsyth
made his role of host look dead easy, and was good at putting the
contestants at their ease and making fun of them in a way that got you on
the contestant's side, rather than making them look idiots.

The more effortless it *looks* the more of a skill it *is*.

Is it just me that when watching a celebrity edition of a program I don't
know who any of the celebrities are?

No, I'm just the same. A lot of them are famous only for being famous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 20:45:00 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The
production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in
the summer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the BBC last canned
it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after period of absence on our screens
makes it any better?

Nothing to do "medja experts" whoever they are.

The decision will have been taken by accountants. The big stars of
programmes like GG are members of the public who may or may not
make fools of themselves. Who apart from any prizes and travelling
expenses cost very little.

Whether it happens to be to your taste of not sufficiently large numbers
of joe public like watching their fellow members of the public
making fools of themselves, for such formats to be worthwhile.
If its up against Ant and Dec then they've got their work cut out
in any case. They might as well transmit the test card.

I assume this was on BBC1 on Saturday Night. To be honest with you
anyone who expects either of the main channels BBC1 or ITV to
broadcast anything challenging on prime time on Saturdays must
have either been in a coma or in solitary confinement for the past
30 years. Both main channels are a bit of a dead zone nowadays,
even more so on weekends.

There's a NewsGroup devoted to TV called uk.media.tv. misc
which used to be quite lively but seems to be dying off a bit,
which you might like to try.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:

Is it just me that when watching a celebrity edition of a program I
don't know who any of the celebrities are?

I turned the TV on once and realised celebity big brother was on,
before I managed to change channel. However, I think I got away
with it, as I didn't recognise a single one of them...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 15:56:45 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
alan_m writes:

Is it just me that when watching a celebrity edition of a program I
don't know who any of the celebrities are?

I turned the TV on once and realised celebity big brother was on,
before I managed to change channel. However, I think I got away
with it, as I didn't recognise a single one of them...

"Pointless Celebrities" in Big Brother.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The
production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in
the summer.

With Sue Perkins as John Wayne?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 20:45, alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Media expert, says it all really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 08:38:51 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I suspect that this time the drivel has been very expensive. From what
I've read today it appears that the BBC filmed 4 episodes of the
Generation Game but only 2 were fit for transmission.

So that's two episodes of Generation Game and two episodes of Generation Game: The Episodes We Couldn't Show (But Will Anyway As We've Already Paid For Them).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

OMG, you watched it?

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The
production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in
the summer.

Whatever happened to whatever happened to the likely lads?

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TV seems to be manipulated by the agents of a few "stars" in order to get
them air time to pay tha fees of the management company.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 21:46:31 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Whatever happened to whatever happened to the likely lads?

The film version was on yesterday, I think.

Along with the three On The Buses films on ITVn (we didn't get them at Christmas, so they were due for their annual outing).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The
production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in
the summer.

With Sue Perkins as John Wayne?

In "Bareback Mounting"?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It's just one of several old progs that's being 'rebooted'. The
production companies are going through a phase. It'll be westerns in
the summer.

With Sue Perkins as John Wayne?

In "Bareback Mounting"?

No, that would be Clare Balding.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 20:45, alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the
BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after
period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

Because it is easy to fill a schedule slot with such stuff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 11:55:26 UTC+1, rick wrote:
Because it is easy to fill a schedule slot with such stuff

I see that at 5.30 pm tonight both BBC2 and Channel 4 are featuring car boot sales (and neither programme is Flog It, Street Auction, Bargain Hunt, Dickinson's Real Deal, or Money for Nothing, all of which I suspect are of that ilk).

Never mind, there's Trust Me I'm a Vet, Supervet, Yorkshire Vet, Secret Life of the Zoo, and Animal House, all on today.

I'm waiting for the two genres to merge in Celebrity Taxidermy Challenge.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

I suspect that this time the drivel has been very expensive. From what
I've read today it appears that the BBC filmed 4 episodes of the
Generation Game but only 2 were fit for transmission.

As with all such unscripted game shows, it's only as good as the
presenters and contestants make it. And you either like members of the
public having themselves made to look like fools or you don't.
We have enough making themselves look like fools on here without needing
it on TV too. ;-)

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 08:41, ARW wrote:
On 01/04/2018 20:45, alan_m wrote:

OMG they have resurrected the generation game.

It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when
the BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that
after period of absence on our screens makes it any better?

It will still be ****. As are most TV programmes.

They should move it to BBC4 HD. Those folks in London with
a cheapo Group A aerial will not now actually be able to see
it. :-)

Meanwhile in Sussex, Quest and couple of channels that I do
watch have gone to transmitter group 29, which my cheapo
group C/D aerial, tied up in the loft with some string is
struggling with.

We're in the doldrums here. I have line of sight to Midhurst
which is Group C/D, but the southern slopes of the village have
properties with Group A or wideband aerials pointing at the IOW,
about 42 miles distant, while the Northern slopes of the village
have houses with Group A or wideband aerials pointing up stane
street, the old Roman road to London.

A couple of houses trying to get the IOW or CP have sprouted
log-periodic aerials, and one or two have those massive tri-boom
jobs. One bungalow with line-of-sight to the south downs even has
a log-periodic aerial in vertical mode pointing at the IOW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2018 21:45, Clive Arthur wrote:
Whatever happened to whatever happened to the likely lads?

Well, they tried resurrecting the Liver Birds, complete with
grown up drug addict son. That didn't last.

'Still open all Hours' is a total waste of bandwidth.

'Friends' seems to have come back as Top Gear.

I think the broadcasters are too afraid to upset someone, so
nothing is funny to anybody.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
A couple of houses trying to get the IOW or CP have sprouted
log-periodic aerials, and one or two have those massive tri-boom
jobs. One bungalow with line-of-sight to the south downs even has
a log-periodic aerial in vertical mode pointing at the IOW.

A log beam has a good DP and bandwidth, but is also low gain, so not much
use on its own for low signal strength.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 April 2018 08:38:51 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

Expect low cost drivel in bulk

I suspect that this time the drivel has been very expensive. From what
I've read today it appears that the BBC filmed 4 episodes of the
Generation Game but only 2 were fit for transmission.

For me that makes the other two more intersting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 14:46:40 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 02/04/2018 21:45, Clive Arthur wrote:
Whatever happened to whatever happened to the likely lads?

Well, they tried resurrecting the Liver Birds, complete with
grown up drug addict son. That didn't last.

'Still open all Hours' is a total waste of bandwidth.

'Friends' seems to have come back as Top Gear.

I think the broadcasters are too afraid to upset someone, so
nothing is funny to anybody.

How about Porridge it's almost identical to the original virtually the same gags but updated a bit with mobile phones, I guess it's OK if you hadn't seen it all before with Ronnie Barker.

I thought they tried to remake Steptoe & Son but it was just Corbyn and abbot in a party political broadcast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2018 11:29, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:31:55 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 02/04/2018 10:39, NY wrote:
[quoted text muted]

With nostalgia, people tend to remember the 5% of the good bits and
forget the 95% of the rubbish.

So true ... fond memories of "Minder" are best kept that way. Avoid the
reruns at all costs ...

Mainly avoid the modern 'ironic' takes. Like Life on Mars vs Sweeney.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/18 12:14, whisky-dave wrote:
I thought they tried to remake Steptoe & Son but it was just Corbyn
and abbot in a party political broadcast.

For once that is actually coherent and funny.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
A couple of houses trying to get the IOW or CP have sprouted
log-periodic aerials, and one or two have those massive tri-boom
jobs. One bungalow with line-of-sight to the south downs even has
a log-periodic aerial in vertical mode pointing at the IOW.

A log beam has a good DP and bandwidth, but is also low gain, so not much
use on its own for low signal strength.

I swear by Justin Smiths Aerialsandtv.com web site for anything to
do with aerials, but I have counted at least 8 log periodic aerials
around the village and only one points towards midhurst, about 10
miles away.

Most still have el cheapo contract C/D jobs and about a third have
'digital' aerials.

Their log36 aerial has the benefit of no massive reflector so I
could get it higher up in the loft. It's either that or an
XB10K which seems to cover the range. For some reason there is
no XB10E on ATV.com which is what I really need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/18 13:22, Terry Casey wrote:
could you
enlighten us as to what these 'digital' aerials actually are?

Aerials tuned for the frequencies on which local digital transmissions
take place?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.