Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sealant in lieu of PTFE tape

In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1278428-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bryan Mitchell wrote:

I am now contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator
valves

I have used LS-X on a two 'tricky' connections that wouldn't seal (one a
plastic sink waste, the other a rad valve where the pipe was a bit on
the slant) it worked in both cases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green (which is currently separating, like
putty does), and it's generally worked well, although I find that for
high pressure, PTFE is more reliable. Sometimes I use both (paste
covered in tape), and that has never once let me down :-) I assume LS-X
is similar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green [...] I assume LS-X
is similar?

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green [...] I assume LS-X
is similar?

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

It certainly does after time. Got a part used tube which was solid.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

[LS-X]

Andy Burns wrote:

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

It certainly does after time. Got a part used tube which was solid.

well, it claims to never set completely ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

Loctite 572 for coarse threads and Locitite 542 for finer threads (below 3/4
BSP).

I use them for water, gas, oil, compressed air and hydraulic fluids and
haven't had a failure yet (silly thing to say !!!)

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[LS-X]

Andy Burns wrote:

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

It certainly does after time. Got a part used tube which was solid.

well, it claims to never set completely ...

That is likely true, but here it set in the tube enough to be useless. No
criticism of the product though, which is very good.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green [...] I assume LS-X
is similar?

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

The Boss Green I have is like silicone-based putty. But instead of
having the linseed oil dry up, over the decades, it separates into what
I assume is 'siliconey' oil, and hard bits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 13:44, Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

I always have a tube on hand for difficult situations... I generally
find I don't need it, but now and then its very handy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 13:44, Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

What's your problem with PTFE tape? I always use tape intended for gas
connections - it's thicker and stronger than the standard stuff. Also,
when fitting radiator valve tails into new rads, I run a 1/2" BSP tap
into the hole first to make sure there are no rough bits on the thread.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 29/03/2018 13:44, Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

What's your problem with PTFE tape? I always use tape intended for gas
connections - it's thicker and stronger than the standard stuff. Also,
when fitting radiator valve tails into new rads, I run a 1/2" BSP tap into
the hole first to make sure there are no rough bits on the thread.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Here's an "old and new" idea.....

My dad always used hemp and boss white on screwed joints, so I've modified
this a bit, and on awkward threaded joints (ie outside taps that inevitably
end up 30 degrees from where you wanted them) I use hemp and LSX. Jams
nicely where I want, no leaks (so far), and works well on rad tails too.

I've got enough hemp to last me 40 years at current limited rate of use, but
rather to my surprise found it's still readily available in hanks.

Just a thought.......

Charles F

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 March 2018 17:37:23 UTC+1, Charles F wrote:
[...]

FWIW you can also use cheap rope in lieu of hemp. It degrades due to UV, which isn't found inside plumbing joints, and lasts well in the dark. I can't remember which plastic it was, PP I think, id the rope & check its properties online. PE I would not use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bryan Mitchell presented the following explanation :
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

Plumber's Mate was suggested to me, as able to seal the impossible. I
spent two days struggling to get a seal on two wash basin drains, I
tried PTFE, Boss White - neither worked, but PM did first try. Its a
none setting sort of mastic, difficult to get it to stay put on the
thing you are trying to seal, it prefers to pull back off on your
fingers, but if you persist it is squishy enough to seal any gaps in
your application. Unlike Boss White, it doesn't set in the pot.

I used what I bought around three years ago, to TV's all round my
heating circuit. I filled up and tested for leaks today, there were
none.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sealant tends to end up like little rubbery soft balls I find in this sort
of context.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bryan Mitchell" m wrote
in message ...
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1278428-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 15:01, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green [...] I assume LS-X
is similar?

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

The Boss Green I have is like silicone-based putty.Â* But instead of
having the linseed oil dry up, over the decades, it separates into what
I assume is 'siliconey' oil, and hard bits.

Just stir and mix it. It will come back to life just like
an old tub of putty will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 18:39:34 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Plumber's Mate

Plumber's mait

was suggested to me, as able to seal the impossible. I
spent two days struggling to get a seal on two wash basin drains, I
tried PTFE, Boss White - neither worked, but PM did first try. Its a
none setting sort of mastic, difficult to get it to stay put on the
thing you are trying to seal, it prefers to pull back off on your
fingers

Wet your fingers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:44:06 GMT, Bryan Mitchell wrote:

In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves,
and I would value comment on this please.

You are wrapping it the right way round the tail so that the action
of screwing it in tightens the tape on to the tail rather than
loosening it. And you are putting enough turns on, lightly tensioned?
"enough" being enough to fill the threads.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 March 2018 21:20:09 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 18:39:34 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Plumber's Mate

Plumber's mait

was suggested to me, as able to seal the impossible. I
spent two days struggling to get a seal on two wash basin drains, I
tried PTFE, Boss White - neither worked, but PM did first try. Its a
none setting sort of mastic, difficult to get it to stay put on the
thing you are trying to seal, it prefers to pull back off on your
fingers

Wet your fingers.

Boss White is linseed putty, just thinner than the glazier's version. Too thin imho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I have an ancient tub of Boss Green [...] I assume LS-X
is similar?

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

The Boss Green I have is like silicone-based putty. But instead of
having the linseed oil dry up, over the decades, it separates into
what I assume is 'siliconey' oil, and hard bits.

Just stir and mix it. It will come back to life just like
an old tub of putty will.

I do, but it takes a bit more than stirring :-) More a sort of
prolonged chopping action with a small scraper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:56:25 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[LS-X]

Andy Burns wrote:

It's like silicone gunge that doesn't go off ...

It certainly does after time. Got a part used tube which was solid.

well, it claims to never set completely ...

That is likely true, but here it set in the tube enough to be useless. No
criticism of the product though, which is very good.

Unlike a modern equivalent of Boss White that states its life to be 1 year
from /date of manufacture/ and /if unopened/! (so it could be u/s from
'new'), I found a can of Boss White under the hedg at the top of the garden.
Knowing when the main supply had been repaired, that can had been there for
~15 years. It had a rusted hole in it, the contents were more encapsulated
than sinned over but, inside, it was still useable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 15:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/03/2018 13:44, Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would valueÂ* comment on this please.

I always have a tube on hand for difficult situations... I generally
find I don't need it, but now and then its very handy.

+1 (my current one is Flowmasta Liquid PTFE).

To PTFE, or not to PTFE? Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 5 April 9th 12 10:53 PM
PTFE covered wire - how to strip off the PTFE? N_Cook Electronics Repair 7 February 25th 11 01:59 PM
PTFE Gas Tape The Medway Handyman UK diy 29 December 8th 06 09:24 PM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 5 May 13th 05 04:58 PM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 1 May 11th 05 09:31 PM