Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rattling Boiler

Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH explained :
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and has
started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Water circulation pump, if it has one fitted inside the case, fan, or
simply something inside the casing loose and rattling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:38:57 PM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

--
Cheers, Rob

Is there an air vent on the water circulation pump? Maybe it needs bleeding. If it's an automatic one (with a float inside) they sometimes clog up with limescale.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 18:48, wrote:
On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:38:57 PM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

--
Cheers, Rob

Is there an air vent on the water circulation pump? Maybe it needs bleeding. If it's an automatic one (with a float inside) they sometimes clog up with limescale.

Thanks, yes, tried bleeding the pump. No limescale here, so the mystery
deepens.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 18:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
RJH explained :
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Water circulation pump, if it has one fitted inside the case, fan, or
simply something inside the casing loose and rattling.

it doesn't seem to be from the pump, more higher up in the boiler, maybe
the fan area. No obvious cause of rattles. FWIW, a couple of pics:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskQmv48Z

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is definitely a loose something. it does not sound like its inside any
water containing parts to me. It could of course be almost anything. The
boiler sounds pretty noisy to start with, was it always that noisy? If not
you might have an issue and it just happens that its making a piece of metal
vibrate.
Was the pump unseated or moved. Often the mountings have a lot to do with
the transfer of vibrations to the structure and the loose bit you hear might
have always been there.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"RJH" wrote in message
news
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and has
started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure if its operatable with any covers off etc, but a stout pair of
gloves and prodding things might show something up.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"RJH" wrote in message
news
On 25/03/2018 18:48,
wrote:
On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:38:57 PM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

--
Cheers, Rob

Is there an air vent on the water circulation pump? Maybe it needs
bleeding. If it's an automatic one (with a float inside) they sometimes
clog up with limescale.

Thanks, yes, tried bleeding the pump. No limescale here, so the mystery
deepens.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 09:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is definitely a loose something. it does not sound like its inside any
water containing parts to me. It could of course be almost anything. The
boiler sounds pretty noisy to start with, was it always that noisy? If not
you might have an issue and it just happens that its making a piece of metal
vibrate.

That's at its noisiest, and the recording has been amplified
considerably. It's not actually that noisy in use.

Was the pump unseated or moved. Often the mountings have a lot to do with
the transfer of vibrations to the structure and the loose bit you hear might
have always been there.

Couldn't see anything obvious. Some wire looms loose. But it'd take a
lot to create that sound. Another step is as you suggest - fire up
without the cover on - building up to that :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH brought next idea :
Couldn't see anything obvious. Some wire looms loose. But it'd take a lot to
create that sound. Another step is as you suggest - fire up without the cover
on - building up to that :-)

You will be OK with just the outer cosmetic, none sealed panels off.
Under that is a second room sealed panelling system, with out which it
should never be run.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, the number of devices I used to run with covers off is in the hundreds.
Of course a lot of the covers inside a boiler are there for safety and
airflow reasons. However if one can localise the vibration and poke it with
a plastic knitting needle to be sure then you can power it all down and fix
it. The most annoying one of these sort of things was a tumble dryer that
squeaked, but only when the covers were on.That in the end turned out to be
just a belt, though to this day I do not understand why it sounded as it
did.

Old age in equipment does many odd things, as does disturbing things that
have been ok for years.

Back in the old days of the first colour TV sets, we had one that would
whistle very loudly sometimes and not others. That turned out to be a coil
on the timebase boared not vibrating at the real frequency it was using of
course, as that is beyond hearing but some lower frequency agitated by the
higher one. A blob of quick setting araldite fixed it. I'd not want to have
been the engineer trying to remove it from the pcb later on though :-)
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
RJH brought next idea :
Couldn't see anything obvious. Some wire looms loose. But it'd take a lot
to create that sound. Another step is as you suggest - fire up without
the cover on - building up to that :-)

You will be OK with just the outer cosmetic, none sealed panels off. Under
that is a second room sealed panelling system, with out which it should
never be run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Top posted for Brian.
Our 14? year old Creda tumble dryer in the garage sometimes make screaming
noises when used. The next time(s) it is used the noise is normal. I do not
understand this.
I once tried to take it apart to check for fluff and gave up as it was a
nightmare. I did the best I could with a Dyson sucking the fluff out.

Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 March 2018 16:53:17 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Top posted for Brian.
Our 14? year old Creda tumble dryer in the garage sometimes make screaming
noises when used. The next time(s) it is used the noise is normal. I do not
understand this.
I once tried to take it apart to check for fluff and gave up as it was a
nightmare. I did the best I could with a Dyson sucking the fluff out.

sounds like a bearing that will seize at any moment

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 13:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
RJH brought next idea :
Couldn't see anything obvious. Some wire looms loose. But it'd take a
lot to create that sound. Another step is as you suggest - fire up
without the cover on - building up to that :-)

You will be OK with just the outer cosmetic, none sealed panels off.
Under that is a second room sealed panelling system, with out which it
should never be run.

The panel is sealed with a gasket - but I wouldn't have thought it's air
tight. Taking that cover off reveals all the components - there is no
second panel (see the pics above).

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 17:38, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and
has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Ahem, found the cause - it's the casing of the pressure gauge vibrating
against its plastic cover. Think I'll just leave it for the time being

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote :
On 25/03/2018 17:38, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and has
started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Ahem, found the cause - it's the casing of the pressure gauge vibrating
against its plastic cover. Think I'll just leave it for the time being

Maybe push a bit of sponge between the two surfaces, to damp it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 20:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
RJH wrote :
On 25/03/2018 17:38, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time,
and has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Ahem, found the cause - it's the casing of the pressure gauge
vibrating against its plastic cover. Think I'll just leave it for the
time being

Maybe push a bit of sponge between the two surfaces, to damp it.

Thanks - just tried. All the noise seems to be generated from within the
gauge. Wedging some rubber stuff in changes the pitch a little.

I'm inclined to let it fail and replace as needed (£40) in the hope that
nothing catastrophic happens meantime.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote :
On 25/03/2018 17:38, RJH wrote:
Can anyone identify this noise? -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_...flq4qiwX_jS6vh

It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time,
and has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.

Ahem, found the cause - it's the casing of the pressure gauge
vibrating against its plastic cover. Think I'll just leave it for the
time being

Maybe push a bit of sponge between the two surfaces, to damp it.

Thanks - just tried. All the noise seems to be generated from within the
gauge. Wedging some rubber stuff in changes the pitch a little.

I'm inclined to let it fail and replace as needed (£40) in the hope that
nothing catastrophic happens meantime.

Quick update - I've come across this now and it seems to be a 'design
flaw' - one fix is blu-tack!

https://community.screwfix.com/threa...er-24k.176513/

The other issue I've had with this Ideal Logic is the mains water inlet
joint. Looks like large compression fitting to me. The installer said
he's had to replace several - I've needed to pinch-tighten it a couple
of times over the years.

--
Cheers, Rob