Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering iron flex

I've got a 25W Antex iron with, on the recommendations of those here,
the silicone cable. A lot nicer to use than the standard flex I've
always had before but, in the 18/24 months I've had it, I've had to to
chop the plug off 3 times and remake the end as the cable cores have
broken near the strain relief. This last time I've also had to redo the
element end.

Because it's pliable the silicone is also very strechy and it takes its
toll on the wire inside (which, incidentally, seems to be steel rather
than copper.) After the first time, which I put down to letting the plug
drop before coiling it back up, I've been careful but it still gives
out. It lives in the toolbox as it has to travel rather than on a desk
but doesn't have a particularly abused life.

So, before I end up with a 6" mains lead, where can I get a different
grade of silicone something tougher if slightly less flexible? Or even
the same stuff as I have now - can't seem to turn any up on eBay?

--
Scott