Kalico

Default What to waterproof cladding with?

I have been asked to help stop a small leak.

Water appears to be coming in through some vertically mounted wooden
cladding that surrounds a large hot air duct from a launderette. I can only
think that when the wind is blowing rain against the cladding it is getting
throught the joints as it runs down the length of the planks.

Is there some sort of thick waterproof coating that could be applied? I
think someone has had a go previously with Aquaseal or similar bituminous
roofing sealant but this has gone flaky over time and is certainly not
working.

The alternative is to rip it all off and reboard with something, or even
think of a solution that would leave it exposed, but protected from
mechanical damage from people passing etc.

I await all your wisdom.

Thanks as always.
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Michael McNeil

A little more gen is required in my solicited opine.

Kalico

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:f02340f4cbbf15484b5b7ce7558b0eaa.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
A little more gen is required in my solicited opine.

Well, it is the outlet pipe for a load of tumble dryers in a launderette and
it runs up through a flat roof of the launderette then up along the side of
the building above (flats above - 2 storeys) to roof level, where it vents.

It has been clad using something that looks like a heavy duty tongue and
groove matchboard or similar and the lengths have been run vertically, along
the length of the flue. It has subsequently been painted with a black,
bituminous type coating which is now flaking.

Although there are no gaps where one can see the actual galvanised metal
flue beneath, some large gaps are visible where the tongue joins the groove
(good name for a band that!). My thought is that water running down this
cladding is, with something akin to capiliary action, being drawn along the
grooves and to the inner of the cladding, where it is then running down the
inner surface and then through onto the ceiling of the launderette.

Is that giving a better picture? Hope so.

Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Fake stone cladding - how to refix to wall? David Hearn UK diy 4 December 19th 03 02:54 PM
Stupid questions about feather edge cladding 4-LOM UK diy 6 December 11th 03 04:23 AM
Fixing UPVC Cladding andy UK diy 5 September 14th 03 09:40 PM
ShipLap Cladding John Rumm UK diy 3 July 31st 03 12:21 PM