Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor tiles - to seal or not to seal ?

Next job in the never ending book is tiling the floor of the front
extension (finished screed at the moment) and continuing along the old
hall and into the shower room which are/were Khars engineered wood laid
on green chipboard.

Both floors have UFH, between joists on old section and in-screed on new
section.

We've got "wood effect" porcelain "planks" which are going to be laid in
a herringbone pattern apparently but the question is, should either the
screed or the waterproof chipboard need sealing (SBR I'm guessing) to
keep tile adhesive workable for longer?
Also, where the screed meets the old hall/doorway and goes to chipboard
should I create a junction between surfaces to allow for the different
UFH zones and different heat-up/expansion rates between floors etc.

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Next job in the never ending book is tiling the floor of the front
extension (finished screed at the moment) and continuing along the old
hall and into the shower room which are/were Khars engineered wood laid
on green chipboard.

Both floors have UFH, between joists on old section and in-screed on new
section.

We've got "wood effect" porcelain "planks" which are going to be laid in
a herringbone pattern apparently but the question is, should either the
screed or the waterproof chipboard need sealing (SBR I'm guessing) to
keep tile adhesive workable for longer?

Don't know. I'd do what the adhesive makers suggest.

Also, where the screed meets the old hall/doorway and goes to chipboard
should I create a junction between surfaces to allow for the different
UFH zones and different heat-up/expansion rates between floors etc.

Definitely. I have had enough trouble with allegedly flexible grout
cracking between small tiles over an electrically heated floor to be
quite certain it would crack at the join without a flexible joint.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
Next job in the never ending book is tiling the floor of the front
extension (finished screed at the moment) and continuing along the old
hall and into the shower room which are/were Khars engineered wood laid
on green chipboard.

Both floors have UFH, between joists on old section and in-screed on new
section.

We've got "wood effect" porcelain "planks" which are going to be laid in
a herringbone pattern apparently but the question is, should either the
screed or the waterproof chipboard need sealing (SBR I'm guessing) to
keep tile adhesive workable for longer?
Also, where the screed meets the old hall/doorway and goes to chipboard
should I create a junction between surfaces to allow for the different
UFH zones and different heat-up/expansion rates between floors etc.

Pass! Let me know when you find out:-)

Flexible tile cement over underfloor heating and I guess some sort of
expansion provision at the floor junction. Won't you get some vertical
movement at the hall/shower room junction?

Cheers
Pete

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/18 19:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Next job in the never ending book is tiling the floor of the front
extension (finished screed at the moment) and continuing along the old
hall and into the shower room which are/were Khars engineered wood laid
on green chipboard.

Both floors have UFH, between joists on old section and in-screed on new
section.

We've got "wood effect" porcelain "planks" which are going to be laid in
a herringbone pattern apparently but the question is, should either the
screed or the waterproof chipboard need sealing (SBR I'm guessing) to
keep tile adhesive workable for longer?

Don't know. I'd do what the adhesive makers suggest.

Usually not - need a slow set adhesive.

I do SBR shiny plaster and you *can* SBR the screed, but it's not what
tilers I've watched normally do.

Also, where the screed meets the old hall/doorway and goes to chipboard
should I create a junction between surfaces to allow for the different
UFH zones and different heat-up/expansion rates between floors etc.

Definitely. I have had enough trouble with allegedly flexible grout
cracking between small tiles over an electrically heated floor to be
quite certain it would crack at the join without a flexible joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2018 15:36, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
snip
We've got "wood effect" porcelain "planks" which are going to be laid in
a herringbone pattern apparently but the question is, should either the
screed or the waterproof chipboard need sealing (SBR I'm guessing) to
keep tile adhesive workable for longer?
Also, where the screed meets the old hall/doorway and goes to chipboard
should I create a junction between surfaces to allow for the different
UFH zones and different heat-up/expansion rates between floors etc.

Apologies for duplicate post earlier tonight.
Thunderbird on one machine went tits-up and I searched high & Low for
this message or evidence of it being sent and it had gone.
Now I've found and deleted all data files related to uk.d-i-y (repair
folder didn't work) it's sorted it's self out and here it is.

Thanks all for replies to this one and the one posted a few hours ago.

Cheers
Pete