Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT fruit - oranges

For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges
from the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish
mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not
entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was
different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all
so they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump
where the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest
they had been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/18 14:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges
from the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish
mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not
entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was
different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all
so they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump
where the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest
they had been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?

I think you are confusing oranges and mandarins/clementines.

I think what you are referring to is a "clemenule" - see fruit at upper
right in picture he
http://goodfruitguide.co.uk/product/clemenules/

There are so many varieties these days available in shops simply sold
under a big label which says "Clementines" (eg "Nadorcott") that if in a
net bag you need to look closely at the label on the bag to see what you
are actually buying!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :
I think you are confusing oranges and mandarins/clementines.

More than possible, I have never studied the subject.

I think what you are referring to is a "clemenule" - see fruit at upper right
in picture he
http://goodfruitguide.co.uk/product/clemenules/

Like that, but with a very pronounced bulge where the stalk went, which
was why I wondered if they might have been picked to early - they
hadn't filled out properly.

I bought another box/ pack today, these are nicely rounded and lack the
bulge - just like the contents of the previous boxes. Yet to try them,
but it looks promising. I am trying increase my fruit intake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :
I think you are confusing oranges and mandarins/clementines.

More than possible, I have never studied the subject.

I think what you are referring to is a "clemenule" - see fruit at upper right
in picture he
http://goodfruitguide.co.uk/product/clemenules/

Like that, but with a very pronounced bulge where the stalk went, which
was why I wondered if they might have been picked to early - they
hadn't filled out properly.

I bought another box/ pack today, these are nicely rounded and lack the
bulge - just like the contents of the previous boxes. Yet to try them,
but it looks promising. I am trying increase my fruit intake.

Oranges are not the only fruit....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jim
writes
Oranges are not the only fruit....

But the inability to transport and display bananas correctly seems to
have spread from M & S, who have always been hopeless, to other local
supermarkets.

I don't like the large brown patches. It was never like this in the days
of clipper ships.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

In message , jim
writes
Oranges are not the only fruit....

But the inability to transport and display bananas correctly seems to
have spread from M & S, who have always been hopeless, to other local
supermarkets.

I don't like the large brown patches. It was never like this in the days
of clipper ships.

I suspect it is more due to careless handling and bruising than to other
factors in transport.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/18 17:10, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :
I think you are confusing oranges and mandarins/clementines.

More than possible, I have never studied the subject.

I think what you are referring to is a "clemenule" - see fruit at upper right
in picture he
http://goodfruitguide.co.uk/product/clemenules/

Like that, but with a very pronounced bulge where the stalk went, which
was why I wondered if they might have been picked to early - they
hadn't filled out properly.

I bought another box/ pack today, these are nicely rounded and lack the
bulge - just like the contents of the previous boxes. Yet to try them,
but it looks promising. I am trying increase my fruit intake.

Oranges are not the only fruit....

Just to add to this OT thread, most "hard(ish)" fruit such as apples,
pears, bananas, and sometimes stone fruits are sold in polythene bags,
but citrus fruit is packed in nets. What is the reason for this?

(All types can be found in plastic or card punnets or trays, sealed with
a film of some sort, but then so is meat and fish.)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2018 18:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/02/18 17:10, jim wrote:
[...]

Red nets make oranges look far sweeter than they really are.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking jim wrote :
Oranges are not the only fruit....

but, I like 'em and one of the dogs likes 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 18:43:32 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

After serious thinking jim wrote :
Oranges are not the only fruit....

but, I like 'em and one of the dogs likes 'em.

Not to worry, Jim. At least one of us got the literary reference
straight away. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or well past their date. Oranges are funny things, as some are just no
edible and only really useful in things like preserves etc. I'm told you can
tell by the leaves of the tree, but assuming these are all the edible types,
its hard to really say, but my guess is that they have been perhaps either
picked too soon or too late or left hanging around too long.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges from
the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not
entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was
different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all so
they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump where
the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest they had
been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2018 09:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or well past their date. Oranges are funny things, as some are just no
edible and only really useful in things like preserves etc. I'm told you can
tell by the leaves of the tree, but assuming these are all the edible types,
its hard to really say, but my guess is that they have been perhaps either
picked too soon or too late or left hanging around too long.

Do the buyers for the supermarkets actually taste or perform any quality
control before the fruit gets put on the shelves?

I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some
form of concrete rather than ripening!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2018 09:42, alan_m wrote:
I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some
form of concrete rather than ripening!

They start of like concrete. Then for about half a day, they're lovely.
Then they disintegrate.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 17:50:22 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 17/02/2018 09:42, alan_m wrote:
I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some
form of concrete rather than ripening!

They start of like concrete. Then for about half a day, they're lovely.
Then they disintegrate.

In our family, the saying is that you have to sit up all night to
catch a Williams pear ripe.

Did you have to translate that from the familial patois ?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some form of
concrete rather than ripening!

The only fruit I ever buy from supermarkets is/are bananas.
Then its necessary to shop around to find branches which stock
large bananas, as most seem to prioritise small or medium
"lunchbox size" fruit.

Pears are always difficult as they have to be picked and transported
unripe/hard as they bruise so easily once they start to ripen.

One of the advantages of living where I do, is that there are plenty
of ethnic greengrocers, many of whom have displays/piles of pears
outside the shop; 90% of which are similarly hard. Its sometimes necessary
to visit 5 or 6 of these shops to find the one or two pears in each
pile which will ripen fully within the next week. They go straight
in the fridge door and are taken out one or two at a time to
warm up over the next 24 hours.
Which with experience doesn't take that much longer than visiting the
supermarket when you know where to go. Same with oranges.
But then not everybody lives in a city with the pavements
cluttered with ethnic shops I suppose.

Despite experts claiming they need to be at room temperature to ripen,
at room temperature they'll ripen too quick and the final three of four will
go mushy. Unlike other fruit, pears will also go mushy from the inside
out. Outside fine, inside brown. Storing them in the fridge door doesn't seem
to hinder ripening just slows it down. 69 to 79p per pound ATM
round here

To expect any fruit or veg to be properly ripe from a supermarket is probably
expecting a bit much. Years ago when regular customers bought daily from proper
fruit and veg shops - as with the ethnics to certain extent today the shopkeepers
could buy just what they needed from wholesalers they could trust to sell within
one or two days. Like opening restaurants overstocking on fresh produce
without the benefit of frozen storage is a quick road to bankruptcy.

The supermarkerts threw all that out of the window. Because of the long
supply chains to compete on price while keeping waste to acceptable
levels they have to prioritise shelf life. While customers will carry on
buying rock hard unripe and tasteless fruit and vet, as soon as they
find anything rotten they will be demanding their money back and
pictures of their mouldy fruit and veg will be splashed all over the
red-tops. Ideally just pulled from the mouth of their two year old tot.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2018 10:14, michael adams wrote:
One of the advantages of living where I do, is that there are plenty
of ethnic greengrocers,

Ah, the old east-end barrowboys. Funny, I thought most of those shops
were run by Asians these days. Who aren't ethnic over here.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 18/02/2018 10:14, michael adams wrote:

One of the advantages of living where I do, is that there are plenty
of ethnic greengrocers,

Ah, the old east-end barrowboys.

Around where I Iived in the 50's and 60's, at the topof my road there were
two independent greengrocers on either side of the road within 50yards
of each other. And another maybe 100 yards away further on up the road.
In the high street there was a Gerrards who were a big chain greegrocers
along with Myers ISTR. Who together had as many branches as say Sainsbury
or Dewhurst the butcher .

The idea that we all stood around waiting until the chirpy cockneys showed
up having wheeled their fruit laden barrows all the way from the East End
is the sort of thing you might expect to see in a film made by Americans
starring Dick Van Dyke.

Funny, I thought most of those shops were run by Asians these days.

Polish Asians, eh ? Who'd have thought.

Who aren't ethnic over here.

Ethnicity concerns people's cultural identity both objective and subjective
as compared with the cultural mores of the majority population, and has
nothing to do with geography as such, at all.

Congratulations Andy on posting two short sentences comprising one of the best
examples of ill-considered incomprehensible gibberish its been my pleasure to
read in quite a while.

michael adams

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg presented the following explanation :
Different variety. They're commonly known as 'Navel Oranges', because
of the likeness of the bulge to a human navel. Navel oranges are
seedless. https://fruitguys.com/almanac/2012/0...s-vs-valencias

Ta!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:03:10 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges
from the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish
mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not
entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was
different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all
so they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump
where the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest
they had been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?

Different variety. They're commonly known as 'Navel Oranges', because
of the likeness of the bulge to a human navel. Navel oranges are
seedless. https://fruitguys.com/almanac/2012/0...s-vs-valencias

Doubt they are navels as navels are a quality orange.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2018 17:27, FMurtz wrote:

Doubt they are navels as navels are a quality orange.

Depends on country of origin and method of picking, transport and
storage. Some regions are not suited for fruit growing although that
doesn't stop the production of such as it seems the only important
criteria is the look of the fruit rather than taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:08:16 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 16/02/2018 17:27, FMurtz wrote:

Doubt they are navels as navels are a quality orange.

Depends on country of origin and method of picking, transport and
storage. Some regions are not suited for fruit growing although that
doesn't stop the production of such as it seems the only important
criteria is the look of the fruit rather than taste.

"French Golden Delicious" being a case in point. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Water softners, Apples to Oranges? Bill Home Ownership 7 July 28th 10 10:27 PM
They are cleaning alongside dry, inside angry, above bizarre oranges. [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 04:56 AM
Machining a 5# chunk of Fruit cake Roy Metalworking 29 December 30th 05 08:01 PM
Paint for fruit press MarkF UK diy 0 May 25th 05 05:51 PM
Apples and Oranges: Architectural Fees? BRN Home Repair 15 August 14th 04 11:16 PM