Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard skin

Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 17:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Angle grinder!

Seriously though go and see a chiropodist they have all the right tools.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:00:45 PM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/02/2018 17:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Angle grinder!

Seriously though go and see a chiropodist they have all the right tools.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The angle grinder is too fast. I use my drill, a flap disc and an adapter. Snowfire stick too. The adapter is not great, but it does the job. The Snowfire is great. I have tried other solutions, none come close to being as good as this combination so far.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1-Set-M10-16m...d=172553707817
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowfire-21.../dp/B001RYOOPA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:57:10 PM UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

The missus has a thing called a Ped-Egg, which is like a small
egg-shaped fine cheese grater. Works great for me, and I use it before
each bath. Only costs a couple of quid, and worth every penny IMHO.
Don't overdo it on the first go, though :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:17:14 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:57:10 PM UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

Tim

Done the grating, not as good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:17:14 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:57:10 PM UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

Tim

Eg. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 232409117669
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

I've never needed skin motorised removal, but I do use some "foot files"
which came free from sockshop, they are like wide wooden paddles with
sandpaper glued to them (I guess about 80 and 120 grits) so I just rasp
the hard skin off with those ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 17:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

A week rubbing in Flexitol Heel Balm should "cure" it for a while
especially if the pain is coming from cracks in the hard skin.

Other

I've suffered similar for years - on and off - and have had some success
removing hard skin on the feet with
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-367.../dp/B0001IWCUM

BUT only after soaking my feet in hot water for 30 minutes (30 minute
bath) and allowing to dry out for 10 minutes. You can feel that the
skin is ready to shed if you scratch it with your finger nails and the
top layer of the dry skin comes off. This scraper will not work without
soaking your feet. In summer and you've been wearing shoes all day and
your feet have been sweating the tool can be used immediately after
removing your shoes/socks and before they dry out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I do use some "foot files" which came free from sockshop

https://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/sockshop-wooden-foot-file

But don't spend £5 on the file, spend it on bamboo socks and as a new
customer you do (did?) get a file for free ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Tim+ formulated :
Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for your
feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

I don't have that much of a problem, but I like to take care of my feet
so bought one of those. I found it a bit too course and so sharp it
would dig itself into the none hard skin. Quite painful.

I found works well is a device like the Schole (sp?) type unit
advertised on TV, abrasive on a battery powered roller. Except they are
not that powerful, press too hard and they can be stopped. Even that
was capaple of generating enough heat to be painful unless it was kept
moving. They work best when the skin is very dry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 17:57:10 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

a soak in formalin really softens the dead skin up, makes it removable. But I see it's not free of toxicity now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Tim+ formulated :
Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for
your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

I don't have that much of a problem, but I like to take care of my feet
so bought one of those. I found it a bit too course and so sharp it
would dig itself into the none hard skin. Quite painful.

Yes, they are for hard skin only. I walk to work and back (and then up
to our lad's school and back) each day, so I get quite a bit of hard
skin on the soles. It's not a problem (other than that the thick areas
can get a bit numb, which I worry about) - I just prefer to get rid of it.

I found works well is a device like the Schole (sp?) type unit
advertised on TV, abrasive on a battery powered roller. Except they are
not that powerful, press too hard and they can be stopped. Even that was
capaple of generating enough heat to be painful unless it was kept
moving. They work best when the skin is very dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:20:14 -0800 (PST)
"Tim+" wrote:

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:17:14 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:57:10 PM UTC, Andy Bennet
wrote:

[...]

Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater
for your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

Tim

Eg.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 232409117669

Or the heavy duty version https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302635084328

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I do use some "foot files" which came free from sockshop

https://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/sockshop-wooden-foot-file

But don't spend £5 on the file, spend it on bamboo socks and as a new
customer you do (did?) get a file for free ...

"Bamboo socks" sounds more like minimalist snow shoes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre formulated the question :
It's not a problem (other than that the thick areas can get a bit numb,
which I worry about) - I just prefer to get rid of it.

Me too, it is surprising how much nicer my feet feel, after I do them.
What I don't like is the thick three cornered shape of the pads of my
smaller toes and spend ages trying to reshape them back to live skin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_... l_noapp=true

https://tinyurl.com/ydb4xscj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 20:21:14 +0000
Martin Brown wrote:

On 14/02/2018 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

https://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/sockshop-wooden-foot-file

But don't spend £5 on the file, spend it on bamboo socks and as a
new customer you do (did?) get a file for free ...

"Bamboo socks" sounds more like minimalist snow shoes.

Most of the funky hipster "bamboo" textile products are just rayon
produced from cellulose of bamboo origin. Apparently the process of
converting raw cellulose to a useful polymer involves nasty chemicals
which poison workers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You have to be joking, right?
My feeling is that if you are troubled in this way, then something is wrong
and you need to go to a doctor and find out what.Normally long soaking of
skin makes it easier to remove but you need to find out quite why its
happening, wearing certain footwear, walking in a bad way or something going
on causing a kind of excess of skin renewal or shedding.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy with
limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy with
limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

i use a six inch angle grinder with masonary disc.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Bennet writes
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.

I think the problem is that so few of us have a bath and soak our feet
like we once did. Almost everyone has a shower at least once a day,
which is great for quickly getting clean, but doesn't give hard skin a
chance to soak, and get soft.

The best solution is a week by the sea, walking on the sand, through the
surf. Combination of the salt water softening the skin and sand
grinding away at the hard bits does the business.

So, book yourself a week or two at Clacton :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Andy
Bennet writes
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.

I think the problem is that so few of us have a bath and soak our feet
like we once did. Almost everyone has a shower at least once a day,
which is great for quickly getting clean, but doesn't give hard skin a
chance to soak, and get soft.

It may be great for rinsing off sweat but it's pretty useless for
getting clean IMHO. I tend to get quite dirty working outside
maintaining fences etc. and my feet in particular get grubby. There's
no way I could clean them in the shower, especially now it's getting a
bit harder to reach them! :-)

The best solution is a week by the sea, walking on the sand, through the
surf. Combination of the salt water softening the skin and sand
grinding away at the hard bits does the business.

So, book yourself a week or two at Clacton :-)

Sand and Clacton don't really go together!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Graeme wrote:

It may be great for rinsing off sweat but it's pretty useless for
getting clean IMHO. I tend to get quite dirty working outside
maintaining fences etc. and my feet in particular get grubby. There's
no way I could clean them in the shower, especially now it's getting a
bit harder to reach them! :-)

grin Yes, I have to balance very carefully on one leg to wash my
feet, and between the toes! I should put a handle or something on the
wall, but that is too 'old man'.

The best solution is a week by the sea, walking on the sand, through the
surf. Combination of the salt water softening the skin and sand
grinding away at the hard bits does the business.

So, book yourself a week or two at Clacton :-)

Sand and Clacton don't really go together!

Oh OK, pop along to coast to Walton then :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Graeme wrote:

I have to balance very carefully on one leg to wash my
feet, and between the toes! I should put a handle or something on the
wall, but that is too 'old man'.

You'll need it one day so you might as well install it now, while you
can.

At least you can get a curvy chrome one, rather than an NHS beige one ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 17:57:10 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

You might have athletes foot. A fungal infection.
The chemist has cream that will fix it.
You will need powder for all your shoes and a hot wash for all socks and sheets etc.to stop re-infection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete%27s_foot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:50:21 -0800, harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 17:57:10 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a
discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy
with limited success, keep stalling it.
A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with
some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

You might have athletes foot. A fungal infection.

That usually causes soft skin. Very soft!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-02-15, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Graeme wrote:

It may be great for rinsing off sweat but it's pretty useless for
getting clean IMHO. I tend to get quite dirty working outside
maintaining fences etc. and my feet in particular get grubby. There's
no way I could clean them in the shower, especially now it's getting a
bit harder to reach them! :-)

grin Yes, I have to balance very carefully on one leg to wash my
feet, and between the toes! I should put a handle or something on the
wall, but that is too 'old man'.

You'll need it one day so you might as well install it now, while you
can. (I have). I also have a "loofah" thingy for the more inaccesible
bits.

I hope it's named... :-P
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , news0006
@eager.cx says...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:50:21 -0800, harry wrote:

You might have athletes foot. A fungal infection.

That usually causes soft skin. Very soft!

Initially, possibly, and usually between the toes.

Then it hardens and cracks, which is when it becomes painful.

Anybody experiencing athletes foot should have their blood
sugar levels checked as the fungus feeds on excess sugar
exuded through the skin and can be an early indicator of Type
II Diabetes.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:03:47 PM UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , news0006
@eager.cx says...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:50:21 -0800, harry wrote:

You might have athletes foot. A fungal infection.

That usually causes soft skin. Very soft!

Initially, possibly, and usually between the toes.

Then it hardens and cracks, which is when it becomes painful.

Anybody experiencing athletes foot should have their blood
sugar levels checked as the fungus feeds on excess sugar
exuded through the skin and can be an early indicator of Type
II Diabetes.

--

Terry

Footner Exfoliating Socks

Available from Boots or Amazon

Amazing results. Truly effective.

Look them up on Youtube. A bit disgusting for about a week but after that feet as soft as a baby'sbum

The rotating head on the Boots thing is utterly useless. Should have known better as it is battery operated.

I have attended many Podiatrists and all had various suggestions. Mostly revolved around varius creams etc. All a pita to use. Nothing was truly effective till I tried the Footner

I also use this
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hot-Heel-Tas...72.m2749.l2649
after the Footner. Mostly because it is easy to apply.

I think a regular change of shoes helps also/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 22:03:47 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , news0006
@eager.cx says...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:50:21 -0800, harry wrote:

You might have athletes foot. A fungal infection.

That usually causes soft skin. Very soft!

Initially, possibly, and usually between the toes.

Then it hardens and cracks, which is when it becomes painful.

Anybody experiencing athletes foot should have their blood
sugar levels checked as the fungus feeds on excess sugar
exuded through the skin and can be an early indicator of Type
II Diabetes.

and a late indicator of smelly feet ;-)

A friend of mine was told to get some Potassium permanganate from the chemist, but it seemed very expensive, oddly enough I remmebered I had a jar under the sink.

--

Terry