Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Network cabinet - fire mitigation

I'm looking to site a small 19" network cabinet in my attic space, near
the main ELV cable tray.

It will contain some running equipment - PoE network switch, IP Cam
recorder, UniFi Wifi controller.

Probably not my 2 small servers - they;d be better on a shelf in the
hall. So probably 200-300 watts of net consumption at worst - ie needs
some ventilation but not loads.

Mindful of a piece of faulty equipment not starting a fire in a space
filled with wood and stored "stuff", I am thinking of a full metal
cabinet, the sort with lots of small vent holes/slots all over.

My feeling is:

*If* (and it's rare, but I have seen it happen, couple of items from
1000s of bits of kit I've been involved with over the decades) a bit of
equipment incinerates, that doing so inside a metal box is likely to
significantly reduce the likelihood of any fire spreading outside before
fuses blow and the source of the fire quenches. There after all is not
actually that much burnable material in say a metal boxed network switch.

Given a bundle of Cat-x cables are coming in, let's also assume I'll use
low-smoke LSZH type cables as far as practical.

Any comments?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is the construction of your roof? If it is a modern warm roof then
you might be OK but if it is a traditional cold roof, it will get
stupidly hot in summer and almost certainly kill your equipment.

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 14:07, Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

That pretty much describes most comms cabinets these days... (although
they normally have a glass front door). e.g:

https://www.comms-express.com/produc...ck-390mm-deep/

You could clad it in insulation for added fire protection and protection
from ambient temperatures in the loft, but then you would need to have
some active airflow through the cabinet. You could fit a network
connected temperature sensor. (I note that some of the draytek wireless
APs have that built in now).

If you are fitting mains interlinked smoke detectors, then fitting one
in the loft would seem like a good idea.

The first cabinet I used domestically was a plastic cabinet (only
because they were available in smaller sizes and significantly cheaper
at the time). I more recently rehoused everything in a metal one as I
needed more space (and these days the metal ones are pretty cheap). Mine
is in an under stair cupboard, so perhaps more noticeable if things were
to get too toastie!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 14:32, Bob Minchin wrote:
What is the construction of your roof? If it is a modern warm roof then
you might be OK but if it is a traditional cold roof, it will get
stupidly hot in summer and almost certainly kill your equipment.

Good question and it's a retro warm roof (from the POV of being inside).

That is to say, there is 75mm celotex between the rafters, 15mm under
and then 9.5mm PB over the more accessible parts to protect the celotext
from dents and fire.

The attic is thermally part of the upstairs room (thin pannelling will
separate them)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 14:54, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Forgot to say, but Bob asked, the attic is thermally part of the
upstairs - so warm (but not baked in summer) and dry and otherwise
fairly airtight from the outside.

but then you would need to have
some active airflow through the cabinet. You could fit a network
connected temperature sensor. (I note that some of the draytek wireless
APs have that built in now).

If you are fitting mains interlinked smoke detectors, then fitting one
in the loft would seem like a good idea.

Yes - I do and adding one in the void may not be a bad idea.

The first cabinet I used domestically was a plastic cabinet (only
because they were available in smaller sizes and significantly cheaper
at the time). I more recently rehoused everything in a metal one as I
needed more space (and these days the metal ones are pretty cheap). Mine
is in an under stair cupboard, so perhaps more noticeable if things were
to get too toastie!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 15:11:43 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Ye oldie bimetal room thermostat set to 30 in the cabinet could cut power in case of fire, you'd just need to ensure just enough airflow to avoid it hitting 30C in normal use.

I wouldn't insulate the cab, it won't help in case of fire, it'll make it worse, and it won't help with anything else.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes some insulation needed and perhaps forced ventilation too. There used to
be a fire detecting extinguisher available for such racks back in the 80s,
but cannot remember where from now.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 15:59:48 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/02/18 15:34, tabbypurr wrote:

Ye oldie bimetal room thermostat set to 30 in the cabinet could cut power in case of fire, you'd just need to ensure just enough airflow to avoid it hitting 30C in normal use.

A bit of old-skool protection wouldn't be a bad idea. Could even stick a
low temperature thermal fuse in a small box with some vent holes inside
the cabinet.

I wouldn't insulate the cab, it won't help in case of fire, it'll make it worse, and it won't help with anything else.

I agree (I think there was an assumption the attic was cold, it's not).

I'm thinking to maybe line a space with PB (the roof is already lined) a
few inches bigger all round than the cabinet then site the cabinet in
there. Stick a couple of intumescent air vents top and bottom for some
basic convection.

You could but I don't think it's needed. A fire inside the cab quickly goes out if there's little external airflow.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 14:07:13 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking to site a small 19" network cabinet in my attic space, near
the main ELV cable tray.

Fire extinguishers are available eg

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/redetec-...pression-unit/

or you can get small halon-replacement cylinders eg

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireblit...-extinguisher/

You can get relay interface bases for most common smoke detectors, so if it detects smoke it could cut the power to the rack. This might be more reliable than a high-temp thermostat especially for a smouldering plasticy fire.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 17:56, wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireblit...-extinguisher/

That's really interesting - relatively inexpensive - thanks!

You can get relay interface bases for most common smoke detectors, so if it detects smoke it could cut the power to the rack. This might be more reliable than a high-temp thermostat especially for a smouldering plasticy fire.

Yes - I think I've seen those for the Ei-Aico units I have.

Great ideas...