Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains sockets with USB ports

I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f
Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I swear by MK, but they are literally 4 times the price of the ones you
linked to.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-...hite/3905g#_=p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:05:14 +0000, soup
wrote:

I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f
Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I didn't buy from Screwfix, I bought from Wickes. Not had any trouble
but the duty cycle I subject them to isn't too demanding [an Ipad,
that to be fair isn't happy to charge on a lot of usb plugin
supplies].

Screwfix do MK, and I have never yet found MK kit lacking in any way.

5 year warranty I think, I had a quick scan of the ad, I may be wrong.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-...er-white/3905g

Regards

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

Bought mine from TLC. Wanted it to match other wiring accessories in the
room, so not cheap. Never had anything to complain about things TLC sell.
Been in constant use - phone and vape charging each night for about 3
years now. Could be the metal faceplate helps keep things cool.

--
wife.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:

I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f
Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them
feels as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I don't understand the appeal of these - a plug top USB PSU is nearly
as neat, and is easily replaced if it fails, while you can use a
multi-socket USB PSU if you need to feed more devices. If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:

I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f
Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them
feels as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I don't understand the appeal of these - a plug top USB PSU is nearly
as neat, and is easily replaced if it fails, while you can use a
multi-socket USB PSU if you need to feed more devices. If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

The appeal is simple, I fitted these where new sockets were needed,
little cost overhead, no extra space needed, although I think there
was some warning about minimum size backpoxes. Still it fitted those I
had always used.

To be frank, I thought it was pointless doing anything else,
increasingly USB powered devices are coming without supplies.

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one
included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to
the 13A shuttered sockets.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/18 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

Yeah - don't bother, replace with a decent socket, and buy a slimline
plugtop USB charger.

Apart from what you found, the USB charging standards improve every
couple of years and any charging socket will be obsolete in terms of
providing the max charging current soon enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2018 18:48, Rob Morley wrote:

If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Nah that would involve chasing the wiring and redecorating. Having
trailing power strips about the place is a(n increased) trip hazard.
Much neater and easier just to replace the socket face plates with these
USB jobs (assuming they last a tad longer than the 18 months these ones
did).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2018 19:13, soup wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:48, Rob Morley wrote:

Â* If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Nah that would involve chasing the wiring and redecorating.Â* Having
trailing power strips about the place is a(n increased) trip hazard.
Much neater and easier just to replace the socket face plates with these
USB jobs (assuming they last a tad longer than the 18 months these ones
did).

It also means that the kids can't take the charger into another room and
"forget" to tell you where they've put it. This works as long as you
have plenty of leads, but you can get those for £1 each.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:07:46 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

snip

Yeah - don't bother, replace with a decent socket, and buy a slimline
plugtop USB charger.

Taking up one of the two sockets whilst doing so, no good if you want
to charge your device in the kitchen in the same socket(s) containing
the kettle or toaster.

Apart from what you found, the USB charging standards improve every
couple of years and any charging socket will be obsolete in terms of
providing the max charging current soon enough.

Personally, whilst my Samsung Galaxy S7 will fast charge, I generally
don't because I'm not sure the extra heat generated is good for
anything (charger, battery, phone etc)?

Plus I think you have to use a 'fast charge' cable (even on the right
charger) to get a fast charge?

I'm not sure if the charging capacity of the mains socket USB itself
is going to limit the charge rate of 'most devices', especially, if
used singularly and without any special cables?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/18 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

Yeah - don't bother, replace with a decent socket, and buy a slimline
plugtop USB charger.

Apart from what you found, the USB charging standards improve every
couple of years and any charging socket will be obsolete in terms of
providing the max charging current soon enough.

My phone (that needs recharging) is already much older than two years
and I doubt I'll replace it for a few more......

.... and surely new devices that charge from USB should be backwards
compatible with older USB charging sources even though slower to
charge.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

2.1A plug in usb for £2 in poundland according to bigclive.
Just plug it in and switch it on when needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2018 19:01, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one
included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to
the 13A shuttered sockets.

If you are sure its an isolated SELV device and not some cheap
switchmode supply that may well be reference to mains?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/18 19:07, Tim Watts wrote:

Yeah - don't bother, replace with a decent socket, and buy a slimline
plugtop USB charger.

Apart from what you found, the USB charging standards improve every
couple of years and any charging socket will be obsolete in terms of
providing the max charging current soon enough.

Many of these fad'ish sockets are being changed over by folks of little
experience of electrical wiring. Kids doing it just for their iPhones...

How many disconnected earth rings, or general dodgy joints have now
entered the UK housing stock, never mind the choice selection of the
cheapest chinese shock hazard type from eBay and the like?

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...-from-so32.pdf

Big Clive and others have covered these on YouTube.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:05:14 +0000, soup wrote:

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

This is going to happen sooner or later to all of them unless you're very
lucky so I would suggest a far better alternative: the ones that
convincingly resemble normal 13A plugs (if you can't bear the sight of a
wall wart) as they are **** easy to replace when they fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Like most of these beasts, the 2.1A is shared between the two sockets.

I have found one 'cigar socket' 12V to twin USB device on Amazon which
claims to be rated for 2.1 A per socket but, even that doesn't keep its
output voltage at the unloaded point if loaded at 2A on each socket. It
is better than the cheap ones but still a little disappointing.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/18 21:59, Brian Reay wrote:

Like most of these beasts, the 2.1A is shared between the two sockets.

I have found one 'cigar socket' 12V to twin USB device on Amazon which
claims to be rated for 2.1 A per socket but, even that doesn't keep its
output voltage at the unloaded point if loaded at 2A on each socket. It
is better than the cheap ones but still a little disappointing.

Various offerings here ...

http://www.focus-sb.co.uk/blog/sockets-with-usb

http://www.focus-sb.co.uk/specials/i...ed-usb-sockets

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 20:47:33 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 11/02/2018 19:01, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one
included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to
the 13A shuttered sockets.

If you are sure its an isolated SELV device and not some cheap
switchmode supply that may well be reference to mains?

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without
a ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive
pickup I presume.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:37:12 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

On 11/02/2018 19:13, soup wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:48, Rob Morley wrote:

Â* If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some
more ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Nah that would involve chasing the wiring and redecorating.Â* Having
trailing power strips about the place is a(n increased) trip hazard.
Much neater and easier just to replace the socket face plates with
these USB jobs (assuming they last a tad longer than the 18 months
these ones did).

It also means that the kids can't take the charger into another room and
"forget" to tell you where they've put it. This works as long as you
have plenty of leads, but you can get those for £1 each.

You can buy the black Signalex 1.2A USB chargers (made in Birmingham) in
Poundland for that money. Likewise the 1A slightly smaller made in China
ones in white durable plastic from, afaicr, Poundworld. Both draw
immeasurably small standby power (even when measured with my analogue
watt meter).

I've been using the Signalex one for about a year now to charge my
Joyteck All In One Vaping stick overnight (it only takes about two hours
or so at a measured 4.4W loading to fully charge it from flat) and I
leave it plugged in since it plainly takes less than a tenth of watt in
standby.

I can't vouch for the long term reliability of the Chinese made 1A one
since it was bought as a spare unit that's hardly seen any use.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 20180211184850.71b264fe@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
I don't understand the appeal of these - a plug top USB PSU is nearly
as neat, and is easily replaced if it fails, while you can use a
multi-socket USB PSU if you need to feed more devices. If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

If you have this charging point somewhere convenient it is likely to show.
And I can assure you a socket with 4 USB outlets is a lot more attractive
than two sockets with 4 wall warts. And even more so than a trailing
socket. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:48, Rob Morley wrote:

If you don't
have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more
ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Nah that would involve chasing the wiring and redecorating. Having
trailing power strips about the place is a(n increased) trip hazard.
Much neater and easier just to replace the socket face plates with these
USB jobs (assuming they last a tad longer than the 18 months these ones
did).

Thinking on, the TLC one I have has a 10 year warranty. As well it might
at near 30 quid (polished chrome)

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Taking up one of the two sockets whilst doing so, no good if you want
to charge your device in the kitchen in the same socket(s) containing
the kettle or toaster.

You surely don't have so few sockets in your kitchen you have to unplug
things? On a DIY group?

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:59:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Taking up one of the two sockets whilst doing so, no good if you want
to charge your device in the kitchen in the same socket(s) containing
the kettle or toaster.

You surely don't have so few sockets in your kitchen you have to unplug
things? On a DIY group?

In our Victorian house, 'galley kitchen' ... on the main (full length)
work top, we have three doubles. The one on the left has the microwave
and toaster, the one in the middle has the kettle and can opener, the
one on the right the hands free phone and TV. Underneath the worktop
is another double for the fridge and freezer.

So, (typically) daughter unplugs one of the middle two to plug in her
phone charger etc. ;-(

On the other side (the sink side) there is another double under the
worktop for the dishwasher and cooker igniter.

Just outside the kitchen, in the utility area are another two doubles,
one has the Dyson charging base and tumble-dryer and the other the
washing machine and a spare, for de-humidifier or whatever.

So, there is no issue other than having a charging point in addition
to the mains sockets that would be resolved, when I get round to
swapping out the main or side sockets for one with a charger built in
(the MK socket that has been sitting there for a couple of years now).
;-(

I have no issues changing it, given I wired the house in the first
place (it only had gas lights). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:09:22 +0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without a
ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive pickup I
presume.

boggle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 20:43:27 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...ed-socket-usb-

charger-outboard-rocker-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

2.1A plug in usb for £2 in poundland according to bigclive.
Just plug it in and switch it on when needed.

Even better, assuming they're still available, would be a pair of
Signalex 1.2A USB wallwarts at £1 each. A whole 12VA's worth instead of a
poxy 10.5 VA's worth for your 2 quid spend. :-)

Incidentally, the white Chinese made 1A USB wallwart I mentioned in my
other follow up to this thread are, contrary to my original supposition
that I'd purchased it from Pound World, was also another Poundland
purchase as I discovered once I'd finally tracked down Big Clive's "2017
Poundland USB charger analysis" youtube video.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:45:40 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

I can't vouch for the long term reliability of the Chinese made 1A
one since it was bought as a spare unit that's hardly seen any use.

The Chinese one I bought just to see what you get for £1 started to
melt. I hadn't expected any better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/02/2018 18:26, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I swear by MK, but they are literally 4 times the price of the ones you
linked to.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-...hite/3905g#_=p

Just read some of the non-stellar reviews for those!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 07:44:44 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 11/02/2018 18:26, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

**I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I swear by MK, but they are literally 4 times the price of the ones you
linked to.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-...hite/3905g#_=p

Just read some of the non-stellar reviews for those!

Thanks,
apologies for the recommendation, but as I said I have
found everything I fitted that MK produced of top quality.

Mind you like the USB sockets if it's megabucks more to go MK, then
the MK gets left on the shelf.

The Wickes one's do the job for me, but I would guess that they are
the same basic model as most other retailers bargain basement device.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley formulated the question :
The Chinese one I bought just to see what you get for £1 started to
melt. I hadn't expected any better.

I bought a couple of 4 outlet wall wart types, a couple of years ago
for charging various things. They have two high current, two standard
current outlets. Build quality seemed reasonable, but I could see no
sign of a fuse - I assumed they had some hidden protection, but took
the precaution of adding a BS 1amp fuse to the live just in case.

So far, both work fine, though probably not at their full rated output
on all sockets at the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/02/2018 19:01, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one
included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to
the 13A shuttered sockets.

If you are sure its an isolated SELV device and not some cheap
switchmode supply that may well be reference to mains?

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without
a ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive
pickup I presume.

AB

Bigclive has certainly shown some SMPS to be referenced to ground and
others with poor separation of mains and USB.

They should have isolated feedback and transformers in then but they
aren't all as good as they should be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2018 23:45, Johnny B Good wrote:

You can buy the black Signalex 1.2A USB chargers (made in Birmingham) in
Poundland for that money. Likewise the 1A slightly smaller made in China
ones in white durable plastic from, afaicr, Poundworld. Both draw
immeasurably small standby power (even when measured with my analogue
watt meter).

Bigclive has been taking those things apart..
he reckons that poundland ones are usually good but poundworld ones are
****ty.
YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a matter of interest, can you operate any analogue mains gear
successfully after fitting such abominations? Switch mode and of course not
much room for psu equals radiation of crap.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"soup" wrote in message
news
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f
Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I actually
fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

On 11/02/2018 18:26, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2018 18:05, soup wrote:
I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-...er-white/8534f

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I
actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels
as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

Â*Â*I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any
recommendation on type to get for longevity.
Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

I swear by MK, but they are literally 4 times the price of the ones you
linked to.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-...hite/3905g#_=p

Just read some of the non-stellar reviews for those!

Thanks,
apologies for the recommendation, but as I said I have
found everything I fitted that MK produced of top quality.

Same here. Only after that did I read the reviews. It sounds like they
are buying them in.

Mind you like the USB sockets if it's megabucks more to go MK, then
the MK gets left on the shelf.

The Wickes one's do the job for me, but I would guess that they are
the same basic model as most other retailers bargain basement device.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/02/2018 19:01, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one
included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to
the 13A shuttered sockets.

If you are sure its an isolated SELV device and not some cheap
switchmode supply that may well be reference to mains?

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without
a ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive
pickup I presume.

AB

Bigclive has certainly shown some SMPS to be referenced to ground and
others with poor separation of mains and USB.

Yes! I do recollect now that you mention it, some SMPS had a high
value resistor between the 0V and ground.

At a guess I would assume that it was to stop a flashover from items
powered from the supply that might produce a charge. A CRT could
produce a few sparks from all manner of places if the aquadag wasnt
making contact with the return.

They should have isolated feedback and transformers in then but they
aren't all as good as they should be.

I would be very surprised if they were not fully isolated, they may
not be of course, but a fully wound transformer running at kHZ has so
little copper, it would hardly be worth using an autotransformer.

Mind you, I cannot find a diagram for any of the sockets, but switch
mode is the only practical solution. A 50Hz tranny would be
ginagerous and no other supply would provide isolation.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:46:10 +0000, T i m wrote:

You surely don't have so few sockets in your kitchen you have to unplug
things? On a DIY group?

In our Victorian house, 'galley kitchen' ... on the main (full length)
work top, we have three doubles. The one on the left has the microwave
and toaster, the one in the middle has the kettle and can opener, the
one on the right the hands free phone and TV. Underneath the worktop is
another double for the fridge and freezer.

Despite my best efforts at the time (and some last minute changes) we
ended up with not quite enough.

At one end, one double socket for microwave oven, slow cooker and chip
pan. That works OK.

Other end, two doubles. Toaster, coffee machine, food mixer, radio/CD
player, IP phone. Generally OK, but can be a problem at times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 07:58:00 +0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

apologies for the recommendation, but as I said I have
found everything I fitted that MK produced of top quality.

Although it is rumoured that 'MK from B&Q' is not quite the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:09:22 +0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without a
ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive pickup I
presume.

boggle

It's remarkable how small a current people (and cows) can feel. And
there is no way to make it zero. Otherwise we wouldn't have wireless.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/18 12:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:09:22 +0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without a
ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive pickup I
presume.

boggle

It's remarkable how small a current people (and cows) can feel. And
there is no way to make it zero. Otherwise we wouldn't have wireless.

?

Wireless is the transmission of photons, not charged particles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb 2018 10:56:55 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:46:10 +0000, T i m wrote:

You surely don't have so few sockets in your kitchen you have to unplug
things? On a DIY group?

In our Victorian house, 'galley kitchen' ... on the main (full length)
work top, we have three doubles. The one on the left has the microwave
and toaster, the one in the middle has the kettle and can opener, the
one on the right the hands free phone and TV. Underneath the worktop is
another double for the fridge and freezer.

Despite my best efforts at the time (and some last minute changes) we
ended up with not quite enough.

I remember being a guide to how many sockets and where they should be
in each room at the time I wired this place but I'm guessing those
numbers have all gone up nowdays?

At one end, one double socket for microwave oven, slow cooker and chip
pan. That works OK.

I'm guessing the microwave stays in all the time and the other two
share on demand?

Other end, two doubles. Toaster, coffee machine, food mixer, radio/CD
player, IP phone.

;-)

Generally OK, but can be a problem at times.

The biggest inconvenience to us can be flicking the kettle on and not
noticing it's been unplugged by daughter for her phone, JBL speakers
or portable battery.

But I guess that's fair, I don't put the loo seat down after I've used
it, even though it's MFF here. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:03:18 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

Many moons ago, when I was in the TV trade, customers used to get
around the problem using a localised networking system.

The source node was the family 13A plug, then from this they would
have the TV, Video, Table lamp and dates permitting, Xmas tree lights.

Sensitive souls they were, they would be on the phone within seconds
of pulling away from their door, moaning about the admonishment theyd
been given and the fact that only the TV was re connected to the
family plug.

AB