Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick question - recycling glass from cooker hood

I am assuming that the glass part of the cooker hood is tempered and melts
at a higher temperature than normal soda glass and so is not suitable for
recycling.

http://wastesavers.co.uk/cant-recycle-glass-tumblers-pyrex/

As usual an Internet search seems inconclusive.

Just in the process of throwing out all the bits of the old cooker hood
before fitting the new one.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2018 13:18, David wrote:
I am assuming that the glass part of the cooker hood is tempered and melts
at a higher temperature than normal soda glass and so is not suitable for
recycling.

http://wastesavers.co.uk/cant-recycle-glass-tumblers-pyrex/

As usual an Internet search seems inconclusive.

Just in the process of throwing out all the bits of the old cooker hood
before fitting the new one.

Cheers

Dave R

Not sure that it is chemically different. There is an alternative
hardening process which diffuses potassium into the surface (roughly
analogous to carburising or nitriding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughened_glass

But IIRC you are not encouraged to recycle any sheet glass into bottle
banks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 February 2018 14:03:22 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 09/02/2018 13:18, David wrote:
I am assuming that the glass part of the cooker hood is tempered and melts
at a higher temperature than normal soda glass and so is not suitable for
recycling.

http://wastesavers.co.uk/cant-recycle-glass-tumblers-pyrex/

As usual an Internet search seems inconclusive.

Just in the process of throwing out all the bits of the old cooker hood
before fitting the new one.

Cheers

Dave R

Not sure that it is chemically different. There is an alternative
hardening process which diffuses potassium into the surface (roughly
analogous to carburising or nitriding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughened_glass

But IIRC you are not encouraged to recycle any sheet glass into bottle
banks.

yup, iirc they don't take it. Freegle/freecycle it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 06:26:49 -0800 (PST), wrote:

snip

yup, iirc they don't take it. Freegle/freecycle it.

I did that with some large bits of countertop glass from a shop for a
mate and they were requested within seconds of posting and collected
the same afternoon!

They wanted them to make cloches for the garden. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb 2018 13:18:37 GMT
David wrote:

I am assuming that the glass part of the cooker hood is tempered and
melts at a higher temperature than normal soda glass and so is not
suitable for recycling.

When I had to dispose of a windscreen (MOT failure) I just smashed it
into tiny little pieces and put it in a box in the landfill rubbish.
It wasn't that easy to break - I had to score it with a cutting disc
because just hitting it with a claw hammer wasn't working. Note that
toughened glass goes everywhere when it breaks - if possible wrap it in
a tarp or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/18 18:41, Rob Morley wrote:
On 9 Feb 2018 13:18:37 GMT
David wrote:

I am assuming that the glass part of the cooker hood is tempered and
melts at a higher temperature than normal soda glass and so is not
suitable for recycling.

When I had to dispose of a windscreen (MOT failure) I just smashed it
into tiny little pieces and put it in a box in the landfill rubbish.
It wasn't that easy to break - I had to score it with a cutting disc
because just hitting it with a claw hammer wasn't working. Note that
toughened glass goes everywhere when it breaks - if possible wrap it in
a tarp or similar.

warp in tarp and drive over it

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller