Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another cooker hood question

A very elementary question which most of you wouldn't have to think twice
about, but...

My cooker hood has just today finally packed up and 'joined the choir
invisibile'. It's an absolutely basic type and quite ugly but it is vented to
the outside and actually worked quite well.
(Photo here if it helps: http://gallery.me.com/mike_lane#100262)

My question is how difficult would it be to replace it myself with (say) one
of these:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230448800/Product.aspx
or something similar? The electrics are no problem - the old one simply plugs
into a 13A socket on the wall above the unit. The dimensions are almost the
same, but what worries me is how it fits onto the outlet pipe - I know
absolutely sod all about tubing, pipes, ducts and all that sort of thing.
Pathetic I know, but there it is.

I'd be immensely grateful for any (practical) advice - thanks.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

(Photo here if it helps: http://gallery.me.com/mike_lane#100262)

Don't include the final parenthesis! ^
- sorry!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:07:18 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

(Photo here if it helps: http://gallery.me.com/mike_lane#100262)

Don't include the final parenthesis! ^

Better still use a picture hosting service that doesn't require a
specific range of browsers or OS (the list when you don't fit their
restrictive requirements only mentions Mac or Doze as suitable OS's)
and doesn't require a plugin to display static images that 99.9% of
known browsers can display without any "assistance" at all.

Try flickr or tinypic.

As John says the location of the outlet hole on the current and new
hoods will be the major factor in how had the swap is or isn't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

Mike Lane wrote:
A very elementary question which most of you wouldn't have to think twice
about, but...

[snip]

I'd be immensely grateful for any (practical) advice - thanks.

In general it ought to be straight forward. However, there is a gotcha!
If the vent exits directly out of the back - it will probably be in the
middle - however that not guaranteed. I would suggest you take yours off
(looks like a bog standard Hygena / MFI unit), and measure the position
of the hole so that you can check the new one matches before you buy it.
(the current one is held on 2 screws and the top at the back - you get
to them by flipping the bottom panel down.

Aha - yes! It is indeed a Hygena (model APM2121). The unit doesn't have the
maker's name on it anywhere. That's a great help thanks.

This makes me think that my best bet would be to try and get an identical
replacement. Presumably then replacing it would be quite simple (maybe even
someone as clueless as myself could do it).

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

Better still use a picture hosting service that doesn't require a
specific range of browsers or OS (the list when you don't fit their
restrictive requirements only mentions Mac or Doze as suitable OS's)
and doesn't require a plugin to display static images that 99.9% of
known browsers can display without any "assistance" at all.

Sorry about that. The site I used is really intended for the elaborate
display of photo albums rather than single pictures, but I was in a hurry and
I've not had problems with any browser I've tried on PCs or Macs. However if
you care to let me know the details of what OS and browser you are using I
can file a bug report with Apple.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:15:33 +0100, Mike Lane
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote on Oct 23, 2009:

Better still use a picture hosting service that doesn't require a
specific range of browsers or OS (the list when you don't fit their
restrictive requirements only mentions Mac or Doze as suitable OS's)
and doesn't require a plugin to display static images that 99.9% of
known browsers can display without any "assistance" at all.

Sorry about that. The site I used is really intended for the elaborate
display of photo albums rather than single pictures, but I was in a hurry and
I've not had problems with any browser I've tried on PCs or Macs. However if
you care to let me know the details of what OS and browser you are using I
can file a bug report with Apple.

Works fine with IE8 and Wind XP
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:15:33 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

However if you care to let me know the details of what OS and browser
you are using I can file a bug report with Apple.

Which they will ignore as I use:

Mozilla 1.7.12
Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 3; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922.

The point is that the site uses a plugin to replace what 99.9% of all
browsers can do natively, that is display static images.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
Cooker hood question Mary Fisher UK diy 2 January 28th 06 10:38 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM