Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Caepet cleaning question

There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As long as its not printer toner.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a
thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it
is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 February 2018 14:31:32 UTC, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.

Bleach if it won't harm the carpet.

Vinegar if bleach is not an option.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 14:31, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

Are you sure that you haven't put too much water on the carpet and the
dirt has wicked up from the underlay/floor beneath? If so let it dry
for week and then with a slightly damp cloth wipe gently over the
surface. If the dirt lifts off into the cloth repeat the operation once
a day for the next week, or two. The trick is not to get the backing of
the carpet damp but to remove the dirt from the top of the pile in many
little stages letting the carpet fully dry each time. Perhaps use some
detergent in the first application but just use water to dampen the
cloth for further applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 14:31, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

Angle grinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Bennet Wrote in message:
On 05/02/2018 14:31, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

Angle grinder?

Shurely preshure washher?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't
done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for
sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

NT

Soak it with white vinegar, cover it with bog roll, press down and wait.
White vinegar is magic.
Or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2DrJ0nRBjc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 February 2018 15:40:10 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 5 February 2018 14:31:32 UTC, tabby wrote:

There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.

Bleach if it won't harm the carpet.

Vinegar if bleach is not an option.

Owain

It's not a bleachable one. Will try vinegar, tomorrow if I can, thanks to you both for suggesting that.

It's definitely not printer toner.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 14:31, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

Angle grinder?

Shurely preshure
washher?

What's the tool for 2018?

(I'd try bleach)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 05/02/2018 14:31, wrote:
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

NT

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!!!

Certainly not chlorine bleach.

You need to do your Sherlock Holmes bit & try to ascertain what it is.

Near an occasional table? Tea, coffee, beer, wine?

Near a teenage girls dressing table? Make up?

Near a rad? Sludge?

Near the garage door? oil/tar?

Once you have a idea, check out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...hknhfq8k_e_p28

Rule of thumb; solvent, alkaline detergent, acidic detergent.

Oxy clean bleach as a last resort.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 22:39:28 UTC, TMH wrote:
On 05/02/2018 14:31, tabbypurr wrote:

There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2eknrj7.jpg
Any ideas how to sort it?

NT

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!!!

Certainly not chlorine bleach.

obviously

You need to do your Sherlock Holmes bit & try to ascertain what it is.

what came out of the room was mouldy food & beer cans, so mould is suspect no 1, beer number 2.

Near an occasional table? Tea, coffee, beer, wine?

the other 3 less likely.

Near a teenage girls dressing table? Make up?

Near a rad? Sludge?

Near the garage door? oil/tar?

no to those

Once you have a idea, check out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...hknhfq8k_e_p28

oh no, those are strictly against my religion. I do not pay 100x as much for chemicals as necessary.

Rule of thumb; solvent, alkaline detergent, acidic detergent.

Oxy clean bleach as a last resort.

what have you in mind for an acidic detergent?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 01:16:07 UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

Professional had a look at it. He jus wanted to wet clean it with a giant carpet cleaning machine, but didn't think there was much likelihood of success. I'd so hate to have to depend on professionals!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 07/02/2018 01:16, wrote:
[...]

Even if they work?

Rule of thumb; solvent, alkaline detergent, acidic detergent.

Oxy clean bleach as a last resort.

what have you in mind for an acidic detergent?

Viakall, Shiny Sinks?

NT

--
Dave