Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Korean bidet toilet

Have you installed a Korean electric bidet toilet seat in the UK?
What manufacturer? Was it well made? Did it fit a European WC pan? Were
the plumbing fitting threads compatible?
It would be outside zone 2. I intend to use a switched fused flex outlet
fed by an RCD protected circuit.
I understand that it's notifiable, I have a pet part P competent person.

--
Take the dog out to post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

Have you installed a Korean electric bidet toilet seat in the UK?

No, but having recently returned from a holiday in Japan, I'm planning
to install a Japanese one.

What manufacturer?

Much as I'd like to install a Toto Washlet, they're simply too much
money.

I've been talking to these people;

https://www.washloo.co.uk/products/washloo-classic

Was it well made? Did it fit a European WC pan? Were
the plumbing fitting threads compatible?

The Washloo stuff is all designed for the UK. The toilet pans in Japan (well
the "Western Style" ones, anyway) all looked the same as the UK.

It would be outside zone 2. I intend to use a switched fused flex outlet
fed by an RCD protected circuit.
I understand that it's notifiable, I have a pet part P competent person.

I'm afraid I am utterly indifferent to this.

The first problem I have encountered is that the Washloo requires a mains
pressure water supply, and I don't have one in the bathroom.

As a matter of interest, do you intend to comply with the bit of
building regulations that requires you to have a physical air gap in the
water supply? Do they have an approved device for this?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

Or possibly not enough for strict application of rules...

https://www.flowstarvalveshop.com/pa...ention-devices

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

Bidet my arse.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

Illegal for class (or whatever) backflow risk. Must be an air break.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

Electromechanical devices to produce an air gap in mains water by
pumping the water into the top of a small tank do exist, but, in a gross
violation of (or possibly legal exception to) EU competition rules each
type has to be tested and approved by your *local* water undertaking.
And they are generally only available for the individual firm's plumbing
at a four figure price.

Duravit make one for their bidet WC, but it is not cheap and it is not
type approved. It does however meet the spirit of the water regs. and
I for one am happy to leave building control absence as a problem for my
heirs.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

jim k wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

Illegal for class (or whatever) backflow risk. Must be an air break.

Class 5 I mean.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

I know. Do read the thread.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

No. I am as indifferent to this as I am to Part P.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Normally attributed to Douglas Bader, but in "Reach for the Sky", this
quote is attributed to Harry Day, the Royal Flying Corps First World War
fighter ace.

Besides, it is impossible to comply with.

Rubbish, you just need a header tank to comply.
If there isn't enough pressure then you need a pump too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

I would think so. After all, you are supposed to use one in several
other places for the same reason. eg. Hoses, showers if the 'head' can
fall into the tray/bath area so that 'back syphoning' can occur.

I've seen these 'hygiene' devices on a documentary covering the history
of the toilet (I'm serious, it is quite interesting). Quite a clever
idea, especially if you don't have space for a bidet. Cost wise,
probably quite reasonable compared to a quality bidet, plumbed in, etc.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Mike wrote:

[...]

Easy. Dont bother complying and take it with me when I move house.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-04, Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

It makes you wonder why the parts of the world where mains-pressure
toilets & bidets are available aren't suffering from fecally
transmitted epidemics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-04, Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

It makes you wonder why the parts of the world where mains-pressure
toilets & bidets are available aren't suffering from fecally
transmitted epidemics.

Many parts of the world they don't drink tap water unboiled.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-02-04, Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

It makes you wonder why the parts of the world where mains-pressure
toilets & bidets are available aren't suffering from fecally
transmitted epidemics.

Perhaps they are and so need these preposteriorous pressure
washing bidet gizmos to clean off the clinker from their blood
orange bugler's lips?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-04, Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

It makes you wonder why the parts of the world where mains-pressure
toilets & bidets are available aren't suffering from fecally
transmitted epidemics.

Many parts of the world they don't drink tap water unboiled.

True, but that doesn't apply to the places I had in mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-04, Robin wrote:

On 04/02/2018 10:52, jim wrote:

A double check valve?
£5 should cover that...

He did say "physical air gap".

The regs on bidets etc are now draconian: I knew someone with a
chalet-style house who concluded he'd need planning permission for his
own water tower to get useable pressure.

It makes you wonder why the parts of the world where mains-pressure
toilets & bidets are available aren't suffering from fecally
transmitted epidemics.

Many parts of the world they don't drink tap water unboiled.

True, but that doesn't apply to the places I had in mind.

Toto Washlets are ubiquitous in Japan, even in public toilets (*), and yet I
don't recall there being regular cholera epidemics there.

(* It being Japan, the toilets are clean and unvandalised. I cannot
imagine a £1000 device that is held on by two readily accessible bolts
lasting long in a British public toilet.)

Too bad "we can't have nice things".