Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flashing LED

Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution? Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:38:50 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution? Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

TIA.

Try Maplin
I'm sure they used to do LED's that just connected
across the supply and flashed.

20-30S may be a problem. Faster would be easily available.

You may have trouble sleeping at night though, having deceived all
those people in the park so readily.

Have you thought of becoming an MP?

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got one of these on Ebay about six years ago and it's still flashing!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dummy-Ala...AOxyF0pTfh5 d
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:38:50 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution? Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/42-...les/dp/SR00227

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2018 16:38, JoeJoe wrote:
Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution? Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

TIA.

Perhaps you could have a solar cell array to power it by the sun. Or
adapt one of those solar powered garden lights.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe expressed precisely :
Alternatively I am happy to assemble something if given a diagram.

The CMOS version of the 555 timer IC, combined with just a few
components, plus a PP3, might suit your needs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 08:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
You used to be able to buy flashing LEDs at one time for warnings etc. I
clearly recall seeing them in an old Tandy cat back in the day when I could
see to solder.
Brian

Several he

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f... led&_sacat=0

I use regularly use Ebay for components and I've never had a problem- be
they coming from the UK or the far east. Obviously, if coming from the
far east, delivery time can be perhaps 4 weeks but, if you can live with
that, they tend to be cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2018 22:19, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:38:50 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution? Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/42-...les/dp/SR00227

Thanks for that.

It won't be easy to provide it with power other than a battery. In the
description it mentions "...When a permanent 12V supply..." which
suggests that it would probably be too power hungry for a battery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 10:11, Brian Reay wrote:
On 04/02/2018 08:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
You used to be able to buy flashing LEDs at one time for warnings etc. I
clearly recall seeing them in an old Tandy cat back in the day when I
could
see to solder.
Â* Brian

Several he

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f... led&_sacat=0

Thanks a lot - that's what I was after! Easy when you know what to
search for...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2018 16:38, JoeJoe wrote:
Back of the house is facing a park, so want to make sure nobody walking
there is tempted...

I have a false alarm cover/box that matches the real one at the front of
the building. I would like to hang it on the wall at the back, but if
possible, add a flashing LED to it. Something that would be powered by,
say, a 9V battery, with a red LED flashing every 20-30 secs (adjustable
if possible), and the battery lasting a long time (a year? two?).

Any suggestion for a turnkey solution?Â* Alternatively I am happy to
assemble something if given a diagram.

TIA.

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a real
alarm.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 21:12, Bill Wright wrote:

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a real
alarm.

Bill

Then he finds out that he was wrong when the alarm goes off.
There are at least five alarms with flashing LEDs I can see from here
that I know are live systems.
AFAIK only one is a monitored system.

Mine doesn't have a flashing LED but it does have a red one and its not
a dummy either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/02/2018 21:56, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:12, Bill Wright wrote:

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a
real alarm.

Bill

Then he finds out that he was wrong when the alarm goes off.
There are at least five alarms with flashing LEDs I can see from here
that I know are live systems.
AFAIK only one is a monitored system.

Mine doesn't have a flashing LED but it does have a red one and its not
a dummy either.

As per previous poster, from China 100 slow flashing LEDs for £3.30

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...ce4 2677gpHRB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

As per previous poster, from China 100 slow flashing LEDs for £3.30

They're the slow fading type, not flashing. It'll look less like an
alarm box, and more like someone's stuck a chintzy solar garden light on
the wall ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/02/2018 22:51, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

As per previous poster, from China 100 slow flashing LEDs for £3.30

They're the slow fading type, not flashing.Â* It'll look less like an
alarm box, and more like someone's stuck a chintzy solar garden light on
the wall ...

Ah well you will know from my previous posts (re charger) that my
electronic knowledge is almost non existent :-(, it may be worth
searching on ali express though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 21:56, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:12, Bill Wright wrote:

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a
real alarm.

Bill

Then he finds out that he was wrong when the alarm goes off.

But the purpose of the alarm is deterrence. Once they're in the damage
is done. The psychological effect on the resident is the main thing.

Burglars do regard a flashing bellbox as a possible bluff, and are more
likely to enter the property than if they see a normal bellbox.

It's the same with CCTV cameras. Never ever install a camera that looks
like it might be a fake, even if it isn't.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 04:31, Bill Wright wrote:

Burglars do regard a flashing bellbox as a possible bluff, and are more
likely to enter the property than if they see a normal bellbox.

Every single external alarm box enclosure on our estate contains
flashing red LEDs. They're all installed and running systems. Two
different suppliers/brands/styles too as the contract must have been
changed half way through the estate build. House builds date from 1997
to 2003.

From looking around the rest of the village, this is far from uncommon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:56, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:12, Bill Wright wrote:

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a
real alarm.

Bill

Then he finds out that he was wrong when the alarm goes off.

But the purpose of the alarm is deterrence. Once they're in the damage
is done. The psychological effect on the resident is the main thing.

Our local SCO said "Burglar alarms alarm burglars"

Burglars do regard a flashing bellbox as a possible bluff, and are more
likely to enter the property than if they see a normal bellbox.

It's the same with CCTV cameras. Never ever install a camera that looks
like it might be a fake, even if it isn't.

Bill

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 04:31, Bill Wright wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:56, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/02/2018 21:12, Bill Wright wrote:

A bellbox with a flashing LED tells a burglar that you don't have a
real alarm.

Bill

Then he finds out that he was wrong when the alarm goes off.

But the purpose of the alarm is deterrence. Once they're in the damage
is done. The psychological effect on the resident is the main thing.

Burglars do regard a flashing bellbox as a possible bluff, and are more
likely to enter the property than if they see a normal bellbox.

Flashing lights on bell boxes are common on real alarms.
Burglars would have to be pretty thick not to know that.
They have been common since LEDs were affordable.

Real alarm companies fit them so the burglars know its not a dummy.

It's the same with CCTV cameras. Never ever install a camera that looks
like it might be a fake, even if it isn't.

Given what you have said then they all look like fakes to burglars. 8-)

Bill