Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Red fibre washers

Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 21:23:42 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Not heard of that, never done it, never had a leak.

I thought that you installed dry and just nipped up. When they get
wet they (try to) expand and seal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2018 21:23, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.

Never heard that before.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2018 21:23, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.

Well yes, but they also need to be pressed while drying. The normal way
is to use a long weight, which you can get, on request, from the stores.

And it's not just ordinary tap water, you need to ask for copious water.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 22:49:30 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

Well yes, but they also need to be pressed while drying. The normal way
is to use a long weight, which you can get, on request, from the stores.

Yeah, right.
****in' ejit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's a bodge if you have to
re-use one in an emergency.

I have had good success winding PTFE tape as if it was string on tank
connectors.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 02/02/2018 21:23, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.

Well yes, but they also need to be pressed while drying.Â* The normal way
is to use a long weight, which you can get, on request, from the stores.

And it's not just ordinary tap water, you need to ask for copious water.

Cheers

And some striped paint to finish the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have heard that they should be warmed for a while first to make them a bit
more pliable, but not boiled in water, surely this negates the whole point
of them expanding when wet?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 2018-02-02, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 21:23:42 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Not heard of that, never done it, never had a leak.

+1

--
Today is Pungenday, the 33rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wrote in message:
Hi all,

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Ta.

I have always installed these dry, but with a sealing smear of
boss white.
No leaks yet.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 22:49:30 +0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

Well yes, but they also need to be pressed while drying. The normal way
is to use a long weight, which you can get, on request, from the stores.

Yeah, right.
****in' ejit.

I must admit that my first thought was that the 'boiling' suggestion was
someone's idea of a joke aimed at newcomers. I think they would
disintegrate, and certainly become useless.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-02, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 21:23:42 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

ISTR from way back that these washers are supposed to be boiled in water
for 10 mins before installing them or they may leak in service. Can
anyone clarify if this is really necessary?

Not heard of that, never done it, never had a leak.

I've just replaced one I fitted that did leak after a decent time
( 1 year) dry. It was on a brass threaded toilet cistern inlet. When
I dismantled the joint about an 1/8th of the washer was missing and
the next 1/8th was falling off. (It hadn't been boiled.)

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 13:30:41 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

I must admit that my first thought was that the 'boiling' suggestion was
someone's idea of a joke aimed at newcomers. I think they would
disintegrate, and certainly become useless.

I've just remembered what I was getting confused with: cork rocker cover
gaskets. I don't suppose they exist any more, but back in the day, you
had to boil these for 15 mins before fitting them. Such was the accepted
wisdom of the day, anyway. Newer synthetic materials no doubt displaced
cork many years ago. Showing my age here!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/18 21:45, Chris wrote:
I've just remembered what I was getting confused with: cork rocker cover
gaskets. I don't suppose they exist any more, but back in the day, you
had to boil these for 15 mins before fitting them. Such was the accepted
wisdom of the day, anyway. Newer synthetic materials no doubt displaced
cork many years ago. Showing my age here!

No, you dodt have to boil them.

You just fitted them.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Junior Member

Precisely what I'm thinking of doing - not BW tho - Fernox 'Hawk White'.

Why are these useless fibre washers water-soluble in the first place? 2-3 years no leaks - no it's started dripping. Why aren't there 'rubber' O rings for this ?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Nye View Post
I've just replaced one I fitted that did leak after a decent time
( 1 year) dry. It was on a brass threaded toilet cistern inlet. When
I dismantled the joint about an 1/8th of the washer was missing and
the next 1/8th was falling off. (It hadn't been boiled.)
I see you've been using the water-soluble ones as well.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've just remembered what I was getting confused with: cork rocker cover
gaskets. I don't suppose they exist any more, but back in the day, you
had to boil these for 15 mins before fitting them. Such was the accepted
wisdom of the day, anyway. Newer synthetic materials no doubt displaced
cork many years ago. Showing my age here!
What a lot of tosh.

Did you also roast them on an open fire to dry them out to stop adding water to the oil that was left in the gasket ?

Interesting to note there doesn't appear to be a cure for gullibility.

fibre or rubber washers? Fred UK diy 6 July 18th 10 03:10 PM
Outside tap - fibre washers? Part timer UK diy 5 May 15th 08 09:42 AM
Fibre Washers John UK diy 13 July 31st 07 06:50 PM
PC sized fibre washers? T i m UK diy 11 August 5th 06 11:39 PM
Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually? tinklemagoo UK diy 14 September 6th 05 11:40 AM