Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Sealing" a pipe exit from boxing

I'm boxing-in several pipe drops in the corners of rooms. The pipes drop
vertically and then exit horizontally to go to a radiator. I'd like to
find a way to fill the gaps around the horizontal pipes, where they exit
the boxing, in such a way that the pipes can still move slightly without
making a noise; the boxing will be covered in lining paper and then
painted.
Ideas so far include soft rubber or a squirt of expanding foam (trimmed
back flush), but there must be a better way. What have others used?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use pipe collars, you can make the exit from the boxing a generous fit around the pipe to prevent chaffing and use the collars to cover the exit point. They can be cut down if the pipe runs close to the wall.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/talon-15m...-10-pack/18649

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 22:27, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use pipe collars, you can make the exit from the boxing a generous fit around the pipe to prevent chaffing and use the collars to cover the exit point. They can be cut down if the pipe runs close to the wall.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/talon-15m...-10-pack/18649

Richard

I've used those in bathrooms before, but I don't think they'd look right
in regular rooms. Also, they're 15mm pipes on 30mm centres, coming
through a rectangular cut-out that's about 55x32.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like I said they can be trimmed where because of pipe centres they would overlap. If the hole in the pipe box is too big to be covered see if you can glue/fix wood in the opening to reduce it until the collars cover the opening.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 22:13:07 UTC, wrote:
I'm boxing-in several pipe drops in the corners of rooms. The pipes drop
vertically and then exit horizontally to go to a radiator. I'd like to
find a way to fill the gaps around the horizontal pipes, where they exit
the boxing, in such a way that the pipes can still move slightly without
making a noise; the boxing will be covered in lining paper and then
painted.
Ideas so far include soft rubber or a squirt of expanding foam (trimmed
back flush), but there must be a better way. What have others used?

Silicone. Another option is to wrap a layer of clingfilm round the pipe then use ordinary filler. It doesn't bond to the pipe, letting it move in 1 direction. Another option is a thin wood disc. Make any size using holesaws & drill bit.

NT

boxing in gas pipe.... JimK[_3_] UK diy 6 August 20th 14 12:53 PM
Boxing in a 6" dia outlet Nthkentman[_2_] UK diy 4 December 12th 12 10:09 PM
"Boxing" large quantities of paint? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 6 May 23rd 08 04:44 AM
Boxing in gas pipe jon UK diy 3 November 13th 06 06:29 PM
Must Exit Signs say "EXIT"? [email protected] Home Repair 23 April 30th 05 12:28 AM